leaf clunk

I've seen a few references for torque specs amd this is what I aaved

Rear U-Bolts: first pass 59 ft.lbs, second pass 130

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

That must be factory. I have seen more in the aftermarket kits. Also my factory are very hard to torque down as you can watch the bolt twist. To be honest it freaks me out to think so little hold that axle in.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I’ve been back and forth to the dealer multiple times with this issue.. out of bumper to bumper warranty too. 

First time they replaced the shackles and greased the shit out of the springs, noise went away until the grease wore off...

second time they replaced the leafs, noise is gone so far.

im now $415 out of pocket into this, I hope it lasts. Good luck

My truck is currently at the dealership getting rear leaf springs replaced as mine have been squeaking like an old horse and buggy it's embarrassing!  Now mine has the add a leaf with the lift kit, and the dealer said apparently they were misaligned or something.  Hope the squeak goes away!

14 hours ago, reardiff said:

Mines doing the exact same thing. Happen to have any pics of your gasket fix?

Not currently but I could probably take some and post them later today.  I probably made them longer than they needed to be but I wasn't sure exactly what was making the noise.  I think it is just the pad rubbing against the springs as they move up and down.  If GM had used a better pad, this probably wouldn't happen.  I've had my truck for over 1.5 years now, it just started making the noise during the winter.  Not sure if it was the fact that it was really cold this winter or what.  Also, I only have 26K on this truck but the 3 year regular warranty was up so I figured it out myself rather than spend money at a dealer.

• Like 1

I have a Deaver 11 leaf pack sitting in Sulastic hangers bolted in with Deaver's brutish hardware and they still POP on wet days. Uses factory front bushings. That's what squeaks and pops. Tank has to come out to service drivers side and has twice so grease isn't the answer either. Works for a few months. Least wise not a stock bushing. 

Wonder how a poly bushing with the white whatever they call it grease in side and on the wear areas would do. On the camaros we would go solid and poly or poly and rubber. To reduce deflection but keep some tide comfort.

2 hours ago, 1SLOW1500 said:

Wonder how a poly bushing with the white whatever they call it grease in side and on the wear areas would do. On the camaros we would go solid and poly or poly and rubber. To reduce deflection but keep some tide comfort.

Probably a lot better than the what they used.  I have poly bushings on my 94 Z28 and use the silicone grease, it definitely doesn't sound like this when going over bumps.  I even tried using the silicone lube spray on the my leaf springs to see if it would help but it was only a very temporary fix.  My guess is it attracted dirt after a few days and it went right back to clunking again.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SuthrnZ71 said:

My truck is currently at the dealership getting rear leaf springs replaced as mine have been squeaking like an old horse and buggy it's embarrassing!  Now mine has the add a leaf with the lift kit, and the dealer said apparently they were misaligned or something.  Hope the squeak goes away!

Interested in an update on this to confirm that leaf springs are the usual culprit for this seemingly common problem I share. 

On 6/27/2019 at 9:52 AM, Racindave said:

My dealer actually replaced the pads on my 18. Said it was a new improved style. They did look different to me. Dealer also greased the springs so it made me think the sound will come back later though. 

yea im about to take mine back again, dealer finally cleaned and lubed mine and it went away for about a month. He actually told me if i was in the woods to pressure wash it good and it would go away....moron.

my truck has never been in the woods but it does get salt air and sand at the beach most weekends but its washed 2 - 3 times a week at a drive through car wash so i figure mine is TOO clean and washing the lubricant off the springs..still BS for a 60K truck my old denali didnt ever do it

Thanks for the responses.  The first dealer visit they lubed it up and the noise stopped for a while, but basically said don't come back this is normal blah blah. Pretty crappy a 50k truck sounds like it snapping in half and it's considered normal. I may take it back again, really piss them off I guess....

Mine sounds absolutely horrible and is getting worse by the day. Or maybe it’s just because I notice it more. Anyways it sucks. I can hear the creaking noise from the springs as I’m driving. Gonna look into this today and see what I can do to fix it. I don’t want to go to the dealer if I don’t have to. 

Mine were clunking so loud at 12k miles that I thought something was broken. Cut and inserted the pieces of bicycle inner tube between the top and middle leaf and the noise is 100% gone. Couldn’t even believe it worked so well for something that cost $8 and 30min of time. 

Unfortunately the trick with the rubber pieces didn’t work for me. Had some bicycle tubes laying around. Cut the necessary pieces and went to work. Either the rubber is to thin or I don’t know. The gaps between my Springs were big enough where the rubber slides in without any help. There is no way they are going to stay in there. Anyways I went for a drive and no change at all. Might double up the pieces to make it thicker and see if that does anything.