In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

johnwyork

2019 GM Tonneau Cover Leaking BADLY

Hoping someone out there can help me out with what I need to do, or what I need to encourage my local dealership to help me with.

Last fall I purchased a 2019 Chevy High Country and had a GM bed cover (GM part # 84060328) which recently had a safety recall (GM recall N192217500 which was for the cover actually becoming detached from truck and blowing off in several situations).  That recall has nothing to do with this severe leak as far as I know.  However, I have learned that this particular truck bed cover has been discontinued and my guess if from both the safety issue and the leaking problems it has.

I keep items locked in the bed of my truck - well, I used to - until every time it rains all four corners around the bed cover leaks badly.  My golf bag was back there last week and my golf towel got so wet I had to squeeze the water out of it before playing that day.  And obviously my bag was wet too, which is very dissatisfying.  I took pictures to show the dealership so they can communicate this with GM.  I am supposed to meet with their service manager next week.

My local dealer is not aware of these issues with leaking.  So my question is has anyone else out there had an issue with this or similar cover, which is a GM Tonneau Hard Tri Fold Cover?  If so, what did you do or how did you get your issue resolved?  I wish the dealership would just send it back to GM (I did learn the cover does have a 1 year warranty) and exchange or let me upgrade to one that does not leak, or at least leaks a lot less than this one. 

Thanks for any help or suggestions!

John York
Arab, AL

That's frustrating for sure.  I have the same cover and just love it.  There is minimal leakage around the tailgate but nothing terrible.  I hope they resolve your issues.  

I also have the same cover and I also only have minimal leakage at the tailgate seams.  Perhaps they did not fit yours correctly.  I don’t know what adjustments there are as the rails are screwed to the bed

Posted (edited)

All covers leak some but yours is real bad. What I did during the daylight lay in the bed of your truck and have someone close the tailgate and look around for daylight coming through any crack or opening where water can come in then get some weather stripping and plug the areas by re-attaching the side rails or what ever you need to do. Mine now is leak free and sometimes I may get some water at the tailgate area that seeps down but its no big deal as it drains out the bottom and never gets wet inside. BTW I have a Gator roll-up cover no screws just clamps.

Edited by Silverado4x4

My hard folding cover was installed by the dealer in December. I have had it back 4 times for the leak and closure problems. When the recall was performed they claim to have had a "Factory Accessory rep" at the dealership to check their work. They did such a great job that all 4 corners opened up when the truck was driven. I finally read all the documentation and adjusted the 4 corners and now it stays closed. BUT-IT STILL LEAKS. They offered to swap it for the cover that folds up against the rear window. They have refused to return  my money and take it back. I am now looking for an aftermarket gasket kit to try and seal the damn thing. It appears that the cover is just too smal to cover the bed.

I was recently in the market for a tonneau cover and didn't realize GM sold one direct.  I think it's because that part # is actually discontinued now. 

Mine had this cover but I had them take it off before delivery. I could see daylight on the front corners when I looked in. You could actually see where someone had drilled multiple holes in my truck bed trying to reposition tonneau rails to get a better fit.

I now have the gm Rev folding cover and it leaks just as bad.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I have the same cover, but my bed stays mostly dry, even in hard rains. Only minimal leakage near the tailgate. Nothing inside the bed has gotten wet, yet.

Weatherstripping can be purchased many places, and in many different configurations. It may be that the weatherstripping on yours was crushed by overtightening during the install by the dealership. The install instructions mention only tightening the nuts by two turns, or damage may occur.

As mentioned above, climb inside the bed and have someone close it up while you look for sun/light entering.

I have the soft trifold and it's not the tailgate leaking it's in the front corners. It pours water into the bed. I realize that these covers aren't water tight but I should be able to leave something in the bed of my truck with minimal worry. I'm working with the dealer on a solution now. I've owned several trucks with covers and this is the worst yet. My previous trucks had roll up covers that sat on top of the rails. This cover sits inside the rails. I can see the seals above the top of the rails and all 4 corners are showing light through them. As someone who works in manufacturing and a very customer based business this is unacceptable. Apparently our voices haven't been heard. Perhaps it's time to get a bit louder? Fyi I purchased the vehicle in June and here it is October and no solution yet.

Did you get any resolution? Mine leaks exactly the same locations and amount - would love to know if yours was fixed

Just not good. GM should make everyone whole on this leaking issue. A Cover buy back seems in order.

Not even close to the look, but I went with a one piece undercover just to assure a weather tight fit. They Even have dust kits to keep dust out of the bed. Easy To remove. light and one can stand on the unpainted ones.   

https://undercoverinfo.com/undercover-classic

23 hours ago, Stex said:

Just not good. GM should make everyone whole on this leaking issue. A Cover buy back seems in order.

Not even close to the look, but I went with a one piece undercover just to assure a weather tight fit. They Even have dust kits to keep dust out of the bed. Easy To remove. light and one can stand on the unpainted ones.   

https://undercoverinfo.com/undercover-classic

I had an undercover flex on my 2015 all terrain. Worst cove I’ve had. I would have easily put on the one piece but I need full bed access. 

Decided on Extang Xceed this time. Sold Tri fold. No panel seams as it’s covered with what they cal Enduacoat. Like a vinyl but it’s probably glued on as it’s not ill fitting, like the soft folding ones buffeting in the wind. Plus it has a twist hand to open the first panel. No coat hanger entry. Plus with a licked tailgat it’s like Fort Knox 

No, my problem still not fixed.  I've had is back to dealership two more times and still no resolution at all.  Very disappointing, from both GM side and my dealership.   I usually trade trucks one a year and to have a cover leak this badly and get no closer to a resolution is more than disappointing.  I had two new golf gloves in the back and we played yesterday afternoon and they both were soaking wet.  I have to keep a plastic box in the bed to keep stuff in so that those items don't get wet.  Not supposed to be this way with a $900+ GM factory cover.  Never again will I get any accessories from GM, and I advise no one else to either.