How to handle sunny days

How do you guys handle trying to wash your truck on a sunny day?  I have a black truck, so that makes matters even worse.  I don’t have any natural shade so my only thoughts are a canopy or a cloudy day.  Canopy sucks because it would be just one more thing to deal with setting it up and taking it down, plus, it would have to be pretty big to be meaningful.  Cloudy day works, but clouds are a harbinger of rain.  Don’t really want to spend a few hours cleaning the truck knowing it’s going to rain.  Just live with it?  I was washing today and working on one door, buy the time I got from the top of the glass to the bottom of the door (not long), the top of the door was already dry.

The builders in my development took all the trees down years back, and despite planting one out front, there's no real shade. Thus my strategy is usually to pull the wife's ride out, and wash in the garage carefully.  Option 2 is the driveway in the evening just before sundown.

A hydro foamer would probably help.

I have a small hand held one that keeps soap and water always mixing, so I'm doing a panel and spraying the truck almost at the same time. Sunnier days mean going much quicker that's for sure.

I do have a shade tree but when washing it at home I will also do one section at a time. Start with the roof then windows, hood and grill next then do sides a section at a time. I also chamois each section before going to the next to help eliminate water spots. Time consuming but works pretty well for me. 

I feel your pain, tried a canopy it was too short. Went and found a brushless car wash for $25 a month for unlimited washes, this was after I tried one of those pay with quarters car wash bays. My truck is black too. Be picky about the car wash you use, mine uses really high pressure water does a great job and free vacuums.

I don't have a black truck but dark blue 2019 I try to wash early morning or late evening and as iam washing (I use a long handle with very soft brush head) I start with the roof and work down and as I hose off I respray the whole truck again when iam done I hose the whole truck down again then start drying with the Absorber and dry from the top down. If you have hard water you will get water spots. 

3 hours ago, jlong1984 said:

Get up good and early and wash while the sun is still low and temps are cool. 

Ugh.  I'm retired.  Of course, that advice makes perfect logical sense, however, it conflicts with my constitution. :) 

• Haha 1

Good idea if you don’t live in the Houston area. From June till the end of September. First it’s 80 with dew covering everything. The dew burns off by 10 and it’s 90. Then the humidity starts climbing and it’s closing on 100. Aside from yard work in the morning I do nothing outside during those months. So it’s quick qwak car wash for me. I detail in December- May.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk