New owner

Just traded my 16 1500 5.3 Denali for a 2019 2500 Denali. Here are some observations, old truck got 20.6 mpg on the freeway burning the cheapest 87 octane I could find. New truck is getting 18.4 so the gas truck is significantly cheaper to operate as it has no DEF, cheaper oil changes, tires etc. 

The new one drives nice and not too much stiffer, it had 75 psi in the tires and I lowered them to 62. 

The rear ride height is insane and totally unnecessary even towing so I ordered a 2” rear lowering kit, I’ll report back after I install it. 

Dan

5C4ABA4B-32A3-4814-A477-A1EE23E7177A.jpeg

• Like 1

Thank you for your comment about rear ride height. I couldn't agree more.

I want to learn more about the lowering shackles. I was reading reviews for some but there were a lot of comments about modifying the bed so it doesn't sound as bolt on as I'd like. I have an angle grinder but I'm not sure I want to be using it on my new truck ya' know.

I haul small stuff all the time, gravel roads, pull a camper trailer around periodically and don't want to reduce capability but damn the rear is high.

Please report back if you level the rear.

Sent from the demons in my head

I just did the same thing, just bought a 2019 Denali 3500 coming from a 2016 CC 1500 NHT. I get it Friday but I'm betting it will be more to operate but didn't by for that. Also interested in rear lowering as I pull a fifth wheel and the new truck is 4.5" taller in the back!! If anybody has tips for new diesel owners I'm all ears!

Yeah, I had a set of McGaughy's 2" drop shackles installed within 90 days of getting my 2015 2500.  Shortly after that, I installed a set of 1500# SumoSprings in place of the axle bump stops.  And just after that, replaced the stock goofy Rancho shocks with a set of Bilstein 4600's.  I also run about 55 psi all the way around in tires when empty.  I would have it no other way.   Even with over a ton in the back end, it is just starting to become level even with the drop shackles.  Of course, the Sumo's are in play.  They rest right on the axle and about the time the back end gets to level, the Sumos are at their full resistance of 1500#   Smooth as air bags.

Edited by Cowpie

Ok here's the mpg, empty 17.6 highway at mostly 77 mph, towing a loaded 22' Interstate enclosed car hauler that weighed 10,000 pounds I got 11.2 at 65 mph so compared to my 1500 Denali I'm down 3 mpg empty and up less than one mpg towing.

Power is better and climbed the hills with less effort and the ride is better, the 1500 had a lot of frame and hitch flex even with the weight distribution hitch that caused a rough ride, this one is smooth. 

So here's the rub, don't ever say that you're buying a diesel for better mileage, this thing is way more expensive to operate than a gas 1500, fuel, fuel filters every 22,000 miles, a very expensive transmission fluid change due at 44,000 and big buck oil changes much more frequently. And let's not forget the 7 1/2 gallons of DEF I've added in the last 2 weeks!

Dan

On 9/3/2019 at 12:07 AM, doosierra said:

I buy the diesel for towing power, half ton will pull most anything I tow fine, but is tacked out like crazy, something seems off with your def, that seems way to high.

Yup.

I get about 1100 miles per gallon of def.

US retail cost currently about $2.75 /gallon so something less than 1/3 of a cent per mile (vs about 12 or 15 cents per mile for fuel). 

10 quarts of oil instead of 8 for a couple oil changes per year. 

Fuel filter once every 2 years... no biggy either.  

Regular duty transmission fluid change schedule is every 97,000 miles (yes, severe duty every is 45,000).  If that's too inconvenient, put the more expensive TES295 fluid in it instead of Dexron VI and double the change interval.

For local unloaded usage I run cold pressures of about 55F/55R.  Could probably run the rears lower, since when empty they are less loaded than the fronts.  

No doubt the diesel isn't for everyone - but the massive torque at low rpm certainly creates a much different driving experience -- especially towing.  None of this downshift and run 4000 rpm stuff.   

Kinda depends on usage -- and preference. 

BIL does a different job with his 2500 and very happy running a 6.0. 

Edited by redwngr

My 6.0 gets 10-11mpg towing anything...Single dirtbike on three rail trailer...2Klb aluminum boat...or 14' enclosed trailer.  I chose gas for the higher hauling capacity as that is the trucks primary purpose

I get anywhere from 13-17mpg empty depending on the season

Only ever drive 65mph

When we got our 2018 Silverado last year, we had the gas vs diesel discussion. We bought a 30' 8,800lb gvw bumper pull travel trailer at the same time and wanted to get the right tow vehicle for the job. We had a diesel a few years back that was not a GM product. That thing was always in the shop. Since we only tow a few times per year and I don't commute or do much highway driving, the diesel wasn't worth the extra expense to us. I have no regrets with the 6.0 gasser. I also had the 2" McGaughy's drop shackles installed. At first I really liked them. It is definitely easier to get in and out of the bed. Now that we have had them in 6 months, I am not sure about them anymore. The rake that was in place before that would level out when hauling something, is now gone since the rear sits 2" lower to begin with. I have been thinking of putting the old shackles back in. 

Nice truck. You'll have to get some good pics and post.

I have the 6.0L 2500. Not getting 18 MPG, but love it. I also prefer the way it sits over my 1500, but any taller would be tough for everyday activities.

Congrats and enjoy!

23 hours ago, elucas78 said:

When we got our 2018 Silverado last year, we had the gas vs diesel discussion. We bought a 30' 8,800lb gvw bumper pull travel trailer at the same time and wanted to get the right tow vehicle for the job. We had a diesel a few years back that was not a GM product. That thing was always in the shop. Since we only tow a few times per year and I don't commute or do much highway driving, the diesel wasn't worth the extra expense to us. I have no regrets with the 6.0 gasser. I also had the 2" McGaughy's drop shackles installed. At first I really liked them. It is definitely easier to get in and out of the bed. Now that we have had them in 6 months, I am not sure about them anymore. The rake that was in place before that would level out when hauling something, is now gone since the rear sits 2" lower to begin with. I have been thinking of putting the old shackles back in. 

You might try what I have.  I did the drop shackles almost 5 years ago right after buying my 2015 2500 6.0.  A short time later I replaced the bump stops with SumoSprings 1500 lb urethane cellular supports.  Act and ride just like air bags without the fuss.  I can throw over a ton of material in the bed and the pickup is just getting to level.  I have never had it squat below level and I have been a little over GVWR a couple of times.

• Like 1

I went from an 07 2500 gas to a 17 2500 diesel loving the difference. The 07 was lucky to get more than 14 MPG on the hy and 8=9 MPG around town and towing a 6000 lb Travel Trailer. The diesel easily gets 20 MPH hy doing between 65 and 75 MPH. around town I get 14 and towing my new 8000lb Travel Trailer 11-12 MPG. I have more power and can easily climb any hill I have found. I have used my local dealer for oil changes at around 100.00 ea - I buy BlueDef at about 12.00/box I usually go around 11000 miles on the 5 gal. All in all I am happy with my 17 250 DMAX as a daily driver, weekend hauler and all around vehicle. 

On 8/13/2019 at 6:46 PM, Diver6 said:

I just did the same thing, just bought a 2019 Denali 3500 coming from a 2016 CC 1500 NHT. I get it Friday but I'm betting it will be more to operate but didn't by for that. Also interested in rear lowering as I pull a fifth wheel and the new truck is 4.5" taller in the back!! If anybody has tips for new diesel owners I'm all ears!

I'm in the process of buying a 2020 2500 Gasser and coming from a 2013 1500 CC 4x4 with air bags. With the air bags deflated the hitch height is 7 INCHES lower than the 2020 2500HD!! 16.75" for the 1500 and 23.75 for the 2500! I'm researching new drop hitches like crazy now HAHA! It rides surprisingly smooth for a 2500. But it is massive!