Is this lift complete?

Found this used lift online for sale. Seller doesn't know what brand it is, just that it's "about 5 inches." I'm not too worried about the brand, and don't care if it's EXACTLY 5", but it sure seems like it's missing some parts (traction bars?).

He's selling for a good price, but is the kit missing anything that will come back and bite me? 

829515bf5def4aa6af5e9b6b749e1e8c.jpg

My personal opinion is never buy used suspension components. Anyway it looks like a rough country ($1400 new) the shocks are going to be shot, the u bolts should never be reused as it's a major safety issue, and those strut spacers ride like shit. Most lifts don't include traction bars but should include a cross member which this does not have. It looks more like a 3" if anything. My 5" kit came with a lot more.

Screenshot_20180822-092630.png

Nice thing about a knuckle lift is the front end geometry stays with in factory. There is nothing to wear out on the knuckles but have them magnaflux checked for cracks and check the threaded holes and joint attachments for wear. Walnut blast and powder coat. If I were to venture such a lift this type of lift is the ONLY one I would consider. 

These U bolts are not 'torque to yield'. Unless the treads are damaged or bolts deformed I wouldn't give reuse anymore thought that reusing my wheel lugs. Magnaflux them if you like. 100% of all materials failure start at the surface. 

Shocks can be iffy but there are lots of replacements around. This level of inspection and restore of course means the selling price needs to reflect your cost of inspection & restoration. Otherwise just buy new. 

That said. Lifts have penalties. All lifts. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DominatorZ71 said:

My personal opinion is never buy used suspension components. Anyway it looks like a rough country ($1400 new) the shocks are going to be shot, the u bolts should never be reused as it's a major safety issue, and those strut spacers ride like shit. Most lifts don't include traction bars but should include a cross member which this does not have. It looks more like a 3" if anything. My 5" kit came with a lot more.

Screenshot_20180822-092630.png

First off his pic is of a knuckle lift not a bracket. Those parts don’t look like anything RC offers. Strut spacers in no way change the ride. 

I agree don’t buy a used lift. 

First off his pic is of a knuckle lift not a bracket. Those parts don’t look like anything RC offers. Strut spacers in no way change the ride. 

I agree don’t buy a used lift. 
That's a load of shit. Strut spacers do change the ride in a negative way. You're on crack if you think not. And when I have time I will show you. I bet it is RC

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

20 hours ago, DominatorZ71 said:

Strut spacers do change the ride in a negative way. 

How?  I had 5” strut spacers on my truck and it rode like stock. 

Its spring rates and shocks that change the ride, not a spacer.  

How?  I had 5” strut spacers on my truck and it rode like stock. 

Its spring rates and shocks that change the ride, not a spacer.  
That is simply not true. There's no way it rode like stock, not a chance. Lift struts will ride better and coilovers for the best ride. And add a leaf over lift blocks in the rear. That's like saying a body lift rides like stock. You're removing some of comfort or cushion

7 minutes ago, DominatorZ71 said:

That is simply not true. There's no way it rode like stock, not a chance. Lift struts will ride better and coilovers for the best ride. And add a leaf over lift blocks in the rear. That's like saying a body lift rides like stock. You're removing some of comfort or cushion

Dude how are you going to tell me how my truck rode pre and post lift and call me a liar.  You’ve never been in my truck.  Im not arguing just to argue. A spacer in no way changes the spring or shock rates therefor the ride will not change. 

Lifted struts won’t necessarily improve the ride unless you buy a better quality strut and spring. Most folks buy lifted struts and retain the factory spring so the ride improvement is minimal.  I know because that’s what I did.   Coilovers don’t even factor in because the struts and Springs are adjustable and the spring rates are usually lower than oem making for a much better ride. 

Dude how are you going to tell me how my truck rode pre and post lift and call me a liar.  You’ve never been in my truck.  Im not arguing just to argue. A spacer in no way changes the spring or shock rates therefor the ride will not change. 

Lifted struts won’t necessarily improve the ride unless you buy a better quality strut and spring. Most folks buy lifted struts and retain the factory spring so the ride improvement is minimal.  I know because that’s what I did.   Coilovers don’t even factor in because the struts and Springs are adjustable and the spring rates are usually lower than oem making for a much better ride. 

Oh you're serious [emoji23]

On 8/30/2019 at 8:01 AM, Steven York said:

Found this used lift online for sale. Seller doesn't know what brand it is, just that it's "about 5 inches." I'm not too worried about the brand, and don't care if it's EXACTLY 5", but it sure seems like it's missing some parts (traction bars?).

He's selling for a good price, but is the kit missing anything that will come back and bite me? 

829515bf5def4aa6af5e9b6b749e1e8c.jpg

Here's the bottom line Steve.

That kit is not complete. That should be enough to move along .

Here's the bottom line Steve.
That kit is not complete. That should be enough to move along .

That’s all I’m looking for! I wanted a budget lift, and I didn’t see how used knuckles could go bad. Planned on replacing shocks, but hadn’t considered u bolts.

Im not ecstatic about the 1-2” of “kick out” if it is indeed a 5” knuckle, so I will pass. Glad I was able to facilitate some lively discussion [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk