6.0 HP upgrade

I have an ‘18 2500 with the 6.0 and I’m wondering what’s the best option for getting a few more ponies out of the motor. I do enjoy the performance of the truck so far, but more isn’t a bad thing. My only hold up would be that I don’t want a super loud exhaust. Short story is that I’m wondering if anyone has had good results from an intake/exhaust upgrade? 

5D2C5ABD-CDCE-48D0-A799-2E09BC9B4141.jpeg

To be honest, a lot of things will flat out void any warranty you have on the powertrain. Like aftermarket tunes, camshaft upgrades and things of that nature. Plus whoever did the tune has to be pretty knowledgeable because of the computer that runs those trucks.

Most aftermarket cat-back exhaust systems will just help with sound and not so much adding power. They do run a fairly large diameter pipe straight off the assembly line. I'd do some youtube viewing for what kind of sound you want. Dynomax and magnaflow's tend to be more mellow that's for sure but still sound good.

If Airaid makes an intake or intake tube for those trucks, those are nice products.

1 hour ago, RZP1987 said:

I have an ‘18 2500 with the 6.0 and I’m wondering what’s the best option for getting a few more ponies out of the motor. I do enjoy the performance of the truck so far, but more isn’t a bad thing. My only hold up would be that I don’t want a super loud exhaust. Short story is that I’m wondering if anyone has had good results from an intake/exhaust upgrade? 

5D2C5ABD-CDCE-48D0-A799-2E09BC9B4141.jpeg

I had a 2016 2500HD with the 6.0L V8.  There are a couple things you can do to dramatically increase HP fairly inexpensively.  The first one is actually free and I had emailed GM Engineers to get confirmation on the numbers.   For all of the 3 items below I did, they will cost right around $600, and have a cumulative 45-50HP, which is a excellent, value focused way to get the numbers up, short of forced induction, which is another stratosphere in it's own right. 

1) E85, my truck was a flex fuel setup from the factory and pretty sure yours should be too?  Using E85 will easily produce another 20-25HP, and more with a chip/performance module.  The 6.0L V8 loves E85, it will extend the life of your motor too, keeping it cooler for less friction and wear over time.  

2) JET Stage II, Performance Module, very easy to install, these advance the timing, and adjust the shift points, they are Dyno Tested for 12HP.  P/N# 21410S.

3) K&N Intake Kit, believe that one produced another 8HP based on their published DYNO Tests.  P/N# 77-3090KTK

PS - I had a long bed on my truck, it came with the 4.10 rear axle ratio which was VERY quick off the line.  1st-2nd Gear was a neck snapper for sure.  Just making the point that adding HP to the motor is only 1/2 of the formula in going faster.  The transmission/driveline needs to be setup for success as well.  A 4.10 is a way to get there.  

The 6.0 is older motor but a great engine. And in many ways better. It is cheaper and easier to modify.
Tune is always the best.
And everyone knows the answer for cheap power but many will not do it so you issues is simple. Dont want exhaust really but want power.
Also you say little more power. That does that mean? Like 100hp. Turbos are quiet on exhaust and add huge power. With the 6.0 you could farther per dollar.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I have never had mine on a dyne, but I have had great results with using E85 and I have a Magnaflow 12909 offset 3.5 in and out muffler in place of the trash can muffler.  I had used E85 off and on for the first couple of years.  It has been on E85 exclusively for almost 3 year now.   And even the wife's 2017 Equinox does far better on E85 in terms of performance.  E85 does not appeal to everyone and that's fine.  But if the price spread is right, it can not only be a way to get the most out of the gasser but also be cost effective at the same time.  It does have a 100  octane rating so the ECM can advance the timing to the maximum of the software map for best performance and no PI events. And it burns far cleaner than gasoline, which can also be a boon to the motor.

Edited by Cowpie

• 1 month later...
Dollar for dollar the cheapest hp comes from the cam. 
No. The cheapest be dollar is always the same nitrous, tune,meth,alchohol,water. Not in that order just things that make more for less. A cam is relatively cheap but parts and install is $$$.

Just saw this is older 6.0 port injection motor. Not cheap but everyone goes turbo. And swap injectors. Double the power in a weekend. If big power cheap is what you want nitrous loves that motor. Bolt up a 100hp shot. Tune is always a good start and cheaper on that motor over newer engines.