3.0L Duramax - who owns or has driven one

I have a GMC Sierra Crew standard box with the 3.0L.  I absolutely love it.  2,000 miles. The low end torque is amazing. Cruising at 65 mph around 1,600 rpm is so smooth.  Averaging 27 mpg city and 33 mpg hwy. The engine is much better than I ever expected. If you are considering one, test drive it a few times to get a feel for it.  You won't be disappointed.

• Like 1

I’m currently trying to decide between a 6.2 and a Duramax. Most of my driving is around town for say 15-20 minutes each way and I rarely am on the interstate or anything for an extended period of time. Would this cause issues with the regen process? I’ve read a lot about it jut can’t seem to find anything that gives me a definitive answer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most of my driving is 20 minute trips and I haven't noticed any issues with the regen. I don't even notice when it is occurring other than my fuel mileage seems to go down a bit.  No smells at all.

Awesome thank you. I saw someone did a chart of sorts above. Do you think your mileage is really only 20mpg at 80mph? I didn’t expect to get the 29mpg it’s rated at but I didn’t expect that much loss either.

3 hours ago, CP312 said:

Awesome thank you. I saw someone did a chart of sorts above. Do you think your mileage is really only 20mpg at 80mph? I didn’t expect to get the 29mpg it’s rated at but I didn’t expect that much loss either.

I feel like 20+mpg at a constant 80mph is great and I've never gotten that on previous trucks. Historically, the EPA testing for highway mpg reached a max speed of 60mph and averaged 48mph. I'm not sure if those speeds/testing have changed recently or not. Based on EPA testing conditions my 3.0 is exceeding their figures. 

ETA- mph 

Edited by Duramax3oh

I feel like 20+mpg at a constant 80mph is great and I've never gotten that on previous trucks. Historically, the EPA testing for highway mpg reached a max speed of 60mpg and averaged 48mpg. I'm not sure if those speeds/testing have changed recently or not. Based on EPA testing conditions my 3.0 is exceeding their figures. 

Gotcha. My tundra is rated at 17mpg Highway I guess it is and routinely gets 16mpg on long highway trips at 80mph so I suppose I was expecting more in this case.

Hi all,

I went from a well equiped 2015 GMC 6.2L 4x4 to a 2020 Chevy RST 3.0L Diesel 4x4. I gotta say, I prefer the 3.0L way more. Its not even close. The 3.0L's 10 speed trans is butter smooth, way better than the 6.2's 8 speed clunker. I couldn't stand that trans. Also, I am averaging 21 around town, and 30 on the highway. My 6.2 was 12/22, not bad for that setup. but not even close to this diesel. and its so fun to drive! Also, so much more responsive @ the low end. Middle and top not quite as fast, but not to far off. Hard to tell its just a 6 cylinder. this is my 4th GM truck, and by far my favorite. I am hoping it stays reliable, if so, I will keep this one for a while! 

Best regards, 

Mike

• Like 1

Own a 2020 with the 3.0, I have put about 500 miles on it so far and have really enjoyed the truck.  A co-worker has a 6.2l Sierra and upon comparison I was getting 34% better gas mileage then he was but paying 19% more for fuel.  Of course this doesn' t include the cost of DEF.  In the cold with the truck warming up before use I am averaging about 21.4gpm in the city.  When I drove the truck on the highway I was getting about 27mpg.   This is my first diesel truck and to be honest you can't even tell it is a diesel if you have the radio on.  I am waiting for warmer weather to see how it tows our camper....  

Hi all,

I went from a well equiped 2015 GMC 6.2L 4x4 to a 2020 Chevy RST 3.0L Diesel 4x4. I gotta say, I prefer the 3.0L way more. Its not even close. The 3.0L's 10 speed trans is butter smooth, way better than the 6.2's 8 speed clunker. I couldn't stand that trans. Also, I am averaging 21 around town, and 30 on the highway. My 6.2 was 12/22, not bad for that setup. but not even close to this diesel. and its so fun to drive! Also, so much more responsive @ the low end. Middle and top not quite as fast, but not to far off. Hard to tell its just a 6 cylinder. this is my 4th GM truck, and by far my favorite. I am hoping it stays reliable, if so, I will keep this one for a while! 

Best regards, 
Mike

That’s great news, thanks for the info. Do you think you would prefer the 6.2 over the 3.0 if it had the same 10 speed?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CP312 said:

That’s great news, thanks for the info. Do you think you would prefer the 6.2 over the 3.0 if it had the same 10 speed?

The 2020 6.2 also comes in a 10 speed. I opted for the 3.0L mostly for its mpg. And I really liked its low end response and drive-ability. Maybe also something different that i had before. I could not be more happy with it. You should try driving them all. I would be happy with any of the current GM trucks, as long as they have the newer 10 speed. Btw, My Chevrolet sticker price was just under 57K(not dealer marked up price), and I paid just over 43K, so the extra cost was not a huge concern since i feel i got a very  good price, at least here in SoCal.

Regards, 

Mike

The 2020 6.2 also comes in a 10 speed. I opted for the 3.0L mostly for its mpg. And I really liked its low end response and drive-ability. Maybe also something different that i had before. I could not be more happy with it. You should try driving them all. I would be happy with any of the current GM trucks, as long as they have the newer 10 speed. Btw, My Chevrolet sticker price was just under 57K(not dealer marked up price), and I paid just over 43K, so the extra cost was not a huge concern since i feel i got a very  good price, at least here in SoCal.

Regards, 
Mike

Thanks for the perspective.

• Like 1

really like my 3.0,  not that much more fuel than the 2.8 canyon I had, but didn`t realize the 2 sp transfer case was an option. would of ordered one with the 2 speed transfer case. I just assumed all 4 wheel drive trucks had a low range. oh well?  

Edited by burninoil

Put a couple hundred miles on the 3.0 today. Best MPG over 50 miles was 30.9 according to the computer. I noticed MPG goes down a lot when you get above 75. 80mph is 20-22mpg on the display. Really happy with this truck and engine. Truck is an AT4 with 20" wheels.