3.0L Duramax - who owns or has driven one

On 9/2/2019 at 10:17 PM, wizard4878 said:

once the aftermarket figures it out, the power potential could be amazing,  but don't forget about all the added cost involved with owning a diesel...

Which is really nothing if it doesn’t break down...

36 minutes ago, dw91 said:

Which is really nothing if it doesn’t break down...

You have more faith than most. Considering there’s already 2020 HDs with the carryover Dmax going into limp mode, I can’t imagine this 100% new engine being flawless out of the gate and probably even worse once it’s old, or out of warranty (which would happen instantly if you delete or tune it)...

Seems like there’s always, ALWAYS one or two problems with a new diesel. GM has a much better track record than Ford, but I’m not sure I’d be willing to take the first year bullet on any new diesel. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, OnTheReel said:

You have more faith than most. Considering there’s already 2020 HDs with the carryover Dmax going into limp mode, I can’t imagine this 100% new engine being flawless out of the gate and probably even worse once it’s old, or out of warranty (which would happen instantly if you delete or tune it)...

Seems like there’s always, ALWAYS one or two problems with a new diesel. GM has a much better track record than Ford, but I’m not sure I’d be willing to take the first year bullet on any new diesel. 

That’s not really added cost to owning a diesel though. 

I’m sure there’s going to be problems with the emissions junk at first (I had one in 7 years, 2 different trucks 200k km total) but that’ll get sorted. If you delete it before it’s out of warranty then you should know you’re assuming a lot of risk especially with a new generation. 

On 9/5/2019 at 5:26 PM, dw91 said:

That’s not really added cost to owning a diesel though. 

I’m sure there’s going to be problems with the emissions junk at first (I had one in 7 years, 2 different trucks 200k km total) but that’ll get sorted. If you delete it before it’s out of warranty then you should know you’re assuming a lot of risk especially with a new generation. 

but higher cost of fuel,  cost of DEF,  higher cost for an oil change, even if you do it yourself...

• Like 3

11 hours ago, dw91 said:

I’ve always been told not to use the stuff at the pump, it’s not always fresh and can cause serious issues with the system.

I would argue that the bulk def from a busy truckstop pump is probably fresher than jugs.

(if you are saying don't by jugs that are stacked by a fuel pump, then I'd agree)

• Like 2

11 hours ago, CamGTP said:

I fill up my 6.7 cummins work truck once a week with it for the last 65,000 miles, not one single issue. 4-5 gallons only lasts about 800-1000 miles when I'm 14,000lbs dry.

What kind of fuel mileage does it get? sounds like way more def than the 6.6 GM's are usng.

GM 6.6's def usage is about 1.5 or 2% of fuel.