3.0L Duramax - who owns or has driven one

On 9/29/2019 at 9:14 PM, becker87 said:

Did a short interstate run today, amazing what a little tail wind can do. Normally have gotten 23-24 at 80 mph which I still think is pretty good for a pickup at that speed493a3cc189c4811f2e9afe080fb3abd6.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Just curious what weight diesel oil does this Duramax call for? Assuming your IP oil gauge is somewhat accurate, 30 lbs psi seems a little low at speed, and what is the indicated oil pressure at hot idle?

Just curious what weight diesel oil does this Duramax call for? Assuming your IP oil gauge is somewhat accurate, 30 lbs psi seems a little low at speed, and what is the indicated oil pressure at hot idle?
Honestly not sure, will have to look that up and get back to you. Just have whatever came from factory in there now.

6 hours ago, garagerog said:

6 hours ago, becker87 said:

Honestly not sure, will have to look that up and get back to you. Just have whatever came from factory in there now.

3.0 does NOT use the same oil as the 6.6L dmax.

For the 3.0L :

Viscosity Grade
Use SAE 0W-20 viscosity grade engine oil.

Specification
Use engine oils that meet the dexosD specification. Engine oils that have been approved by GM as
meeting the dexosD specification are marked with the dexosD approved logo.

See www.gmdexos.com

Currently there are only 2 oils approved to the DexosD spec:

ACDelco Light Duty Diesel    General Motors    dexosD™    0W-20    DD0751IA015    Global
Mobil Super 3000 XE2    ExxonMobil Oil Corp.    dexosD™    0W-20    DD0752IA015    Global

Well, considering that every major heavy diesel manufacturer is spec'ing and factory filling with 10w30 HDEO CK-4, that is what I would use in the 3.0.  Even Ford has 10w30 on their approved list.  Detroit Diesel, Cummins, Mack/Volvo, International all fill with 10w30.  Just me, but I would never use a 0w20 in a diesel. But then, I wouldn't use a 0w20 even in a gasser.  Maybe a 5w20 in a gasser.  But for a diesel I would just use a 5w30 or 10w30 HDEO CK-4 (the latest recognized N. American spec for diesels) and call it a day.

On 10/3/2019 at 1:35 PM, Firetrout said:

Anyone have anymore updates on this?  I think iI am picking one up Monday.  Trading out 2019 LT Z71 with the 5.3.  I drive approx 35k-40k miles a year and the fuel mileage difference is selling me on it.  Has anyone towed much with it yet?

Any other reason you're trading in your 2019, if you don't mind me asking, other than the desire to get a diesel? 

I’m currently getting around 12.8 

mpg lifetime mileage out of the 5.3.  So any improvements equate to money “saved” because I do 35-40k miles a year.  Yet I still need a truck but if I need to tow heavy I have HD trucks available to do so.  Heaviest trailer I anticipate towing with this truck is 7600lbs. 

• Like 1

On 10/1/2019 at 10:36 PM, becker87 said:

I read a few articles like that as well and I believe they where hyper-miling them, I believe that's what you call it. Ya know, mirrors in, drafting, low speed, things like that.

Hoping with a little more break in things only get better. I'm still averaging about 27-28 driving from job site to job site in town and that's the main reason I got it as some days I put on 70-80 miles just in town and saving that much in fuel costs is big to me

Good to see another ND member on here!

Thank you for the feedback and please keep us up to date. Curious to see what kind of fuel economy you see on a longer highway trip unloaded. Do you ever run to Fargo from Bismarck? I usually manage 17 MPG on my Sierra on interstate going 75 MPH (with no wind...which of course is rare in ND).

I  don’t believe these vehicle requires any special treatment whatsoever possibly in extreme cold weather situations you let it run for a minute or two before driving away without heavy  throttle load . But that’s how I drive my gas vehicles as well . All in all I believe these products manufactured today are incredibly well engineered and don’t need a lot of special care or attention .

Good to see another ND member on here!

Thank you for the feedback and please keep us up to date. Curious to see what kind of fuel economy you see on a longer highway trip unloaded. Do you ever run to Fargo from Bismarck? I usually manage 17 MPG on my Sierra on interstate going 75 MPH (with no wind...which of course is rare in ND).
Have not made that run yet, would guess I would get about 25ish, maybe a bit more once broken in. Still averaging around 27-28 driving around Bismarck which I think is great and the reason I bought the truck

• Like 1