3.0L Duramax - who owns or has driven one

Have about 2600 miles on mine now, mileage on the city is down as I installed a leveling kit and larger 275/70/18 duratracs. Still averaging 22-24 in town compared to around 27-28 before. Will probably switch to a lighter tire come spring again to gain that mileage back. Havnt been on the highway yet with the new tires but will imaging that will drop by a few MPGs as well

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

On 10/23/2019 at 4:53 AM, Rubyralph said:

What does the 3.0 "max tow" equipment include?

On the GMC Configure page it shows 

• Trailering Package1
  • Increased towing and GCWR
  • Automatic locking rear differential
  • Handling/Trailering2 Suspension Package
  • Enhanced cooling radiator
  • Revised shock tuning
  • Heavier duty rear springs and increased RGAWR
  • 9.76" rear axle
  • 3.42 axle ratio
  • Trailer brake controller
  • May require additional optional equipment

But then when you try to add the 3.0 and the Max trailering package, it removes the 3.0 and drops you back to the 5.3....

Edited by Chris Callanan

I drove two of them.  One a crew cab LT Z71, the other a double cab RST.  Snooty little thing.  Love the sound of it from in the cab too.  30 mile trip home netted 32mpg on the DIC, total drive of 60 miles was 26mpg.  That included about 10-15 minutes warm up/idle.  The crew cab netted 22mpg but I was "excercising" that one lol.  Just a few 0-60 runs.  Engine works great with the 10 speed. 

On ‎10‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 7:53 AM, Rubyralph said:

Chad makes great video's about his new 3.0 truck!

What does the 3.0 "max tow" equipment include?

There isn't a 3.0 NHT max tow package.  Only 5.3 and 6.2.  3.0 can tow a max of 9300lbs or less, depending on configuration. 

Edited by newdude
  • Like 1

I'm confused, there are two tow ratings in print for the new 2020 Duramax 1500 Silverado.

TFL truck published:

"...with a maximum tow rating of 7,600 pounds. When properly equipped , the latest Chevy Silverado 1500 diesel can tow up to 9,300 pounds."

So what makes a 2020 Silverado 1500 3.0 Duramax "properly equipped" to tow 9,300 pounds?

I would only guess 2wd vs 4wd or the cab configurations and is there an optional rear gear ratio??

I can't find any 2020 GM Trailing guides for the 3.0 Silverado, maybe someone else has this info?

Thanks

I'm confused, there are two tow ratings in print for the new 2020 Duramax 1500 Silverado.
TFL truck published:
"...with a maximum tow rating of 7,600 pounds. When properly equipped , the latest Chevy Silverado 1500 diesel can tow up to 9,300 pounds."
So what makes a 2020 Silverado 1500 3.0 Duramax "properly equipped" to tow 9,300 pounds?
I would only guess 2wd vs 4wd or the cab configurations and is there an optional rear gear ratio??
I can't find any 2020 GM Trailing guides for the 3.0 Silverado, maybe someone else has this info?

Thanks
I'm guessing it has something to do with trim levels between LT and RST. Don't the LTs have a different leaf spring? My Duramax is an RST has a tow rating of over 9000 according to the door

On 10/23/2019 at 12:13 PM, jaslon said:

So, there was a lot of posts on there, one post said the timing belt only lasts 150,000 miles and that the engine is done at 150,000 miles.

Is there any truth to either one of these?

On 10/23/2019 at 12:57 PM, SkiDooNick700 said:

Yes, it is said that the belt, which I think runs the oil sump, will most likely require service at or around 150,000 miles.  The transmission has to be dropped to get to it I guess.  Guessing it would be more than few hundred to get that fixed haha... for someone like me who drives 10-15k miles per year... it isn't something that makes me want to say a hard No to this engine.

This 150,000 mile longevity expectation has me curious to what longevity expectations have been for other more proven Diesel engines like the 7.3 powerstroke, 5.9 Cummins, or the 6.6 duramax. I’ve tried researching these engines expected longevity to no avail. Maybe it’s not common practice for the manufacturers to estimate when the engines are going to puke. If anyone has info on this, I’d appreciate it. My theory is that perhaps the engineers are low balling there estimates in hopes that actual performance far surpasses the expectations. I was hoping to compare to the previous engines expectations to actual performance. 
Thanks,

Darin

This 150,000 mile longevity expectation has me curious to what longevity expectations have been for other more proven Diesel engines like the 7.3 powerstroke, 5.9 Cummins, or the 6.6 duramax. I’ve tried researching these engines expected longevity to no avail. Maybe it’s not common practice for the manufacturers to estimate when the engines are going to puke. If anyone has info on this, I’d appreciate it. My theory is that perhaps the engineers are low balling there estimates in hopes that actual performance far surpasses the expectations. I was hoping to compare to the previous engines expectations to actual performance. 

Thanks,

Darin

In 2003 I had my 91 dodge diesel in for an axle seal. I was helping a customer get caught up on a job and was pulling a small tractor with it. I ask them how long before a average rebuild. His reply was around 200K. Mine had just passed 300K. Five years later we repainted it and gave it to our shop Forman as a bonus. He traded it a year later for a Jeep. No we weren’t happy. And no rebuild, all original.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I saw a story from Motor1 saying GM is considering increasing the tow rating of the Duramax. I hope that means it will be available with NHT when they do. 9000 lbs is plenty of towing capacity for me but, as is typical when towing with a half ton, I'd be concerned about running out of payload and I'd rather have the auxiliary coolers and the 3.42 rear end. 

1 hour ago, Darin84 said:

Thanks,

Darin

It's not an estimate for "how long before the engine blows up".

It's a "when you should replace the belt that is running something important" recommendation, so that the belt is changed before the it fails, and the cost for fixing it becomes WAY more expensive.

For situations like this, it's not uncommon at all.  IIRC, my 1.6L gas volkswagon rabbit had something like a 100k change recommendation for the belt running the camshaft.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, becker87 said:

I'm guessing it has something to do with trim levels between LT and RST. Don't the LTs have a different leaf spring? My Duramax is an RST has a tow rating of over 9000 according to the door

Well now we know the TFL 2020 Silverado 1500 3.0 Duramax  2wd has a maximum tow rating of 7,600 lbs. 

And that your RST trim level 2020 Silverado 1500 3.0 Duramax has a door sticker rating of over 9,000 lbs.

All I'm saying is, it would be nice if GM had the "trailering guides" posted for the new 3.0 Duramax!?

• Like 1

Well now we know the TFL 2020 Silverado 1500 3.0 Duramax  2wd has a maximum tow rating of 7,600 lbs. 
And that your RST trim level 2020 Silverado 1500 3.0 Duramax has a door sticker rating of over 9,000 lbs.

All I'm saying is, it would be nice if GM had the "trailering guides" posted for the new 3.0 Duramax![emoji2955]
Here is my sticker3094bcf2c261c52cb4e57e46bbaa71ac.jpg