3.0L Duramax - who owns or has driven one

1 hour ago, TweetybyrdRT said:

So far I only have three issues:

1:  There has got to be a way to disable the auto shutoff for good.

Check out the auto stop eliminator. you need to remove the dash but it works like a charm! 10$ off right now too

https://www.autostopeliminator.com/collections/autostop-eliminators-for-gm-vehicles/products/2019-silverado-sierra-autostop-eliminator

On 12/4/2019 at 5:34 PM, TweetybyrdRT said:

2:  Is the software available to upgrade my infotainment 3+ system to have navigation?  if so the dealer parts and service guys don't know about it.

Carplay or AA will get the GPS from you phone onto the screen.

Anyone with an AT4 3.0?  I have one on order and curious what real world fuel mileage is.
Granted mine is not a true trail boss, my pickup has the same stance with a 2" level and 2" rear block and I do have a little larger your with the 275/70/18. Did a few hundred miles this weekend and with speeds around 67 I was getting 25 mpg and speeds at 80 was getting around 18. Now this is according to the DIC and I know my speedo is about 3 mph low. (Speeds listed where according to speedometer) Truck was also running #1 fuel as temps are getting cold here. Should note that during this trip there where always heavy crosswinds, it if North Dakota after all.

Was expecting a bit more, may end up switching to a lighter tire come spring and I know with #2 fuel in driving around town with a lot of idling due to winter weather I have been averaging 22 which I am appreciating.

Have about 4500 miles in my truck.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

The 3.0 starts when its cold; that's great. The engine is designed to do that to compete with gassers. You can do that every now and again but PLUG IT IN. The engine has an aluminum block with steel sleeves. The heat expansion varies greatly between the alloys and you will cause premature engine wear. In addition, the bearing tolerances are very close and don't like super cold oil. Buy an outdoor timer and set it to turn on 5 hours before you plan on driving.

Drove the new Ram Eco today, after having driven the new Silverado and F150 diesels and have to say the Ram ride and seat comfort is superior to the other two. With that said my last Ram had a lot of glitches and soured me on the brand.  Did 20 mile highway test loops (70 to 75 MPH) on all three and they were pretty close (mid 20s) but the Ram did best, all crew cab 4x4s.  

3.0L Duramax here. Been a fantastic setup for a commuter. I currently have about 1500 miles on the odometer and driving into Northern Virginia daily, I'm averaging 26-27mpg consistently despite frequent stop-and-go travel. I'm easily cruising 500+ miles per tank (~$50 to fill up at $2.85/gal) and refueling every 2 weeks with a 50 mile round trip commute. I have managed to get it up to 31.5mpg (see below). I seem to get better fuel economy on rolling back country roads rather than out on the open highway. Driving 70+ mph on the highway and I never see over 25mpg, but it's not overly flat terrain around here.

I had one hiccup where I started the truck remotely and it stalled the first week I owned the vehicle. A quick check with the OBD2 reader (code P2B60) and a phone call to the dealer, they told me to clear the code and call back if it occurs again. I haven't had a single problem since. 

I really do not understand the auto-stop feature on a diesel engine though. Historically, isn't it more economical to leave a diesel engine idling rather than start and stopping? The onboard computer disagrees with my assessment though, and although annoying at first, I've gotten used to the feature. Remote start and turning off the auto-start, idling will easily kill the fuel economy computer readout...

Compared to my last truck, a 1998 Silverado Z71, I have no regrets. She was a good old truck with a lot of stories, and that alone was enough to keep me from looking at the competitors.

IMG_8389.thumb.JPG.c5905bd043cb7a4b8112cd28dcf684a2.JPG

• Like 2

I have a 2020 GMC SLT 4x4 with the 3.0 Duramax. Bought Oct 29 and driven only in the cold Canadian fall/winter weather. I have driven mostly diesel vehicles over the last 20 years, but the ride was getting too harsh in the 2500 series. This is a pleasant to exceptional ride and handling vehicle. It starts very well in the cold, as low as -25 Celsius (-13F)without being plugged in. I have 4000Klm so far and economy from day one averages 11.1 L/100KM (22.1 miles to US gal.) Best 100 KLM is 8.3L/100KM (28.3 miles to US gal) 

This is the best truck I have had in my time driving. I recommend it be considered by most everyone needing full size towing, comfort and economy. 

• Like 1

Ugh. I'm torn. I'm shopping for a new truck that will see daily driver use all winter long, about 70 miles/day (traffic varies between light interstate and heavy stop and go at times).. I was looking hard at the 5.3 until someone reminded me about the new 3.0 diesel. Never owned a diesel before, I don't tow hardly at all. The potential for increased fuel economy is tempting (even with the Sierra's slightly lower numbers, but the complexity of emissions on these new diesels scare me a bit. What would you owners offer as advice or personal experience? ...and how can one get the 3.0 to be louder? lol

Top end power, the kind that GM delivers with the LS/LT  engines is the very reason I’ve passed on diesel options in previous vehicle purchases.This 3.0 duramax IMO gives me enough highway hp, and all the  torque you could ask for for towing or around town.Bottom line this is a quick truck around town, and sips fuel doing it.its the best 1/2 ton diesel imo..I drove the others,and wouldn’t consider them a “buy” solely for there performance  characteristics . Just my humble opinion 

11 hours ago, toasty said:

Ugh. I'm torn. I'm shopping for a new truck that will see daily driver use all winter long, about 70 miles/day (traffic varies between light interstate and heavy stop and go at times).. I was looking hard at the 5.3 until someone reminded me about the new 3.0 diesel. Never owned a diesel before, I don't tow hardly at all. The potential for increased fuel economy is tempting (even with the Sierra's slightly lower numbers, but the complexity of emissions on these new diesels scare me a bit. What would you owners offer as advice or personal experience? ...and how can one get the 3.0 to be louder? lol

I'm in the dream shopping phase.  My thing is that I'm a bit skeptical this truck is getting as good of MPG as it is rated for.  Obviously we've seen TFL, and I saw two other Private owners (actual buyers) of the truck do highway loops at 70mph and did achieve 30 or 31mpg.  Then I see other people on here going 75 - 80mpg getting 24 or 25.  My truck gets 18mpg at that speed. I suppose this is still a good improvement at 6 to 7mpg minimum. Over a 500 mile trip that is 7.7 gallons saved and 23$ (comparing to 6.2L premium fuel) or 18$ saved on regular fuel.

I suppose at the end of the day it is still a great purchase, assuming long term ownership doesn't have any problems.

But then @becker87 says he installs a leveling kit and assuming an E rated tire slightly larger than stock and gets 18 mpg lol so it seems way too easy to kill the mpg on this truck.  Leveling my truck with a 1 inch taller tire netted a 1 - 1.5mpg loss on highway, however I did stick with a P rated all terrain.

Honestly I would opt for the RST Silverado vs the Sierra simply because one of the major factors is the MPG it gets.  I don't love the new sierra enough to already be a few MPG behind the silverado before I do any mods.

3 hours ago, Jim71 said:

Top end power, the kind that GM delivers with the LS/LT  engines is the very reason I’ve passed on diesel options in previous vehicle purchases.This 3.0 duramax IMO gives me enough highway hp, and all the  torque you could ask for for towing or around town.Bottom line this is a quick truck around town, and sips fuel doing it.its the best 1/2 ton diesel imo..I drove the others,and wouldn’t consider them a “buy” solely for there performance  characteristics . Just my humble opinion 

Agreed!  Did you see The Fast Lane Truck run it against the new EcoDiesel?  That EcoDiesel is sooo slow lol it lost by truck lengths.