3.0L Duramax - who owns or has driven one

4 hours ago, Eric Brickman said:

Should be taking delivery of a White RST 3.0L Duramax Tuesday. Extremely excited! 

Anyone hear of an overheating issue? TK's Garage on Youtube had an issue with his truck, than an issue with his loaner 3.0L as well.

Thoughts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njGPP2EAWhk&t=643s

Don't google for problems other people have.  And every problem you find isn't necessarily one that will even happen to another truck.

7 hours ago, davester said:

Don't google for problems other people have.  And every problem you find isn't necessarily one that will even happen to another truck.

I realize this. My last car was a Subaru where everyone was afraid of the engines blowing up. 

just seeing if anyone else here has experienced the issue, or if it’s isolated. 

Edited by Eric Brickman

15 hours ago, Eric Brickman said:

Should be taking delivery of a White RST 3.0L Duramax Tuesday. Extremely excited! 

Anyone hear of an overheating issue? TK's Garage on Youtube had an issue with his truck, than an issue with his loaner 3.0L as well.

Thoughts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njGPP2EAWhk&t=643s

I didn't watch the Utube, but is it a misunderstanding of the issue discussed in the techlink?

https://gm-techlink.com/?p=12389

Cooling Fans Running for an Extended Period
December 13, 2019
Some 2020 Silverado 1500 and Sierra 1500 models equipped with the 3.0L diesel engine (RPO LM2) (Fig. 12) may have the engine cooling fans running continuously for an extended period of time. The Check Engine MIL also may be illuminated.

F12-30-duramax-diesel.jpg

Fig. 12

Currently, an engine calibration in the Engine Control Module (ECM) will falsely set DTC P0111 (Intake Air Temperature (IAT) Sensor 1 Performance), which occurs when the engine block heater is used in ambient temperatures above 0°F/–18°C. As a result, the cooling system will go into remedial action and turn on the cooling fans at 100%. The remedial action will continue until the engine goes through a six hour cold soak.

If this condition is found, clear the DTC and return the vehicle to the customer. Do not perform any further diagnosis or replace any related components. An updated calibration will be available shortly.

Also inform the customer to avoid engine block heater use in temperatures above 0°F/–18°C. While the owner’s manual states an engine block heater should be used in temperatures less than 0°F/–18°C, it isn’t vital until much lower temperatures of less than –13°F/–25°C.

4 hours ago, redwngr said:

I didn't watch the Utube, but is it a misunderstanding of the issue discussed in the techlink?

https://gm-techlink.com/?p=12389

Cooling Fans Running for an Extended Period
December 13, 2019
Some 2020 Silverado 1500 and Sierra 1500 models equipped with the 3.0L diesel engine (RPO LM2) (Fig. 12) may have the engine cooling fans running continuously for an extended period of time. The Check Engine MIL also may be illuminated.

F12-30-duramax-diesel.jpg

Fig. 12

Currently, an engine calibration in the Engine Control Module (ECM) will falsely set DTC P0111 (Intake Air Temperature (IAT) Sensor 1 Performance), which occurs when the engine block heater is used in ambient temperatures above 0°F/–18°C. As a result, the cooling system will go into remedial action and turn on the cooling fans at 100%. The remedial action will continue until the engine goes through a six hour cold soak.

If this condition is found, clear the DTC and return the vehicle to the customer. Do not perform any further diagnosis or replace any related components. An updated calibration will be available shortly.

Also inform the customer to avoid engine block heater use in temperatures above 0°F/–18°C. While the owner’s manual states an engine block heater should be used in temperatures less than 0°F/–18°C, it isn’t vital until much lower temperatures of less than –13°F/–25°C.

I appreciate the bulletin post. 

No, this guys trucks coolant temp started creeping up from 210. He figured it might have been doing a regen, and kept driving. It got to 260, the truck went into reduced power mode. He got towed to the dealer and upon inspection the head gasket had failed (probably as a function of such high coolant temps) and the heads warped. (Truck had 146 miles) 

Then, he got a 3.0L loaner, and had to return that truck as it did the same exact thing. 

I figured it was isolated, but people in those comments that claim to have a 3.0L, or friends with a 3.0L, say it’s happened to them too. (Internet can be shady, who knows if they actually have or know of people with 3.0L Duramax with this issue). 

just figured I would ask owners on a more trustworthy platform. 

Got my AT4 last week and very impressed so far. Its impressive such a big truck to average 25mpg. Only thing i hate so far are the noise tires lol...should have gone with the 20” wheels.

Edited by Z06_V

Just took delivery of mine on Thu (it’s an RST Crew Cab). Have about 300mi on it now. Coming from a 2018 Tacoma TRD Off Road 3.5L V6. This engine and tranny combo is super smooth. Plenty of power taking off and on the highway.

On a recent 64 mi trip with some traffic and heavy winds, I averaged close to 30mpg on relatively flat road (Boston to Cape Cod). Tacoma would have averaged around 18mpg at best.

No complaints about the setup so far. Have a trailer but won’t use it until the spring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk