3.0L Duramax - who owns or has driven one

I'm kinda late to the party but just purchased a 2020 Silverado with the 3.0. Couldn't be happier. I've had temps in the teens and it takes about two seconds for it to fire up. Mileage between 27 and 33 depending on speed and road. Fantastic power in the range where you need it. As far as the oil pump belt, It's supposed to last at least 150,000 miles. Harley uses drive belts to pull 800 pounds around and they last forever so I doubt turning an oil pump is much strain. And if you do have to replace it at 150,000 probably still an easier job than pulling the front of the motor to replace a timing belt or chain. I expect some growing pains with it being a new engine but so far it's smooth sailing. I traded in a 2019 Ram that had been in the shop 14 times in 12 months so.........  

• Like 1

I liked the 3.0 from the beginning just because it's a straight six.

But hearing you guys being happy and even impressed by the engine, and watching the reviews online, I can't wait for the end of the year.

I want this.

And regarding the drive belt for the oil pump, have you tried to change the turbo on the F350 diesel? You have to take off the cab to do it. At least that's what I've heard.

so long

j-ten-ner

1 hour ago, larryz71 said:

Didn't expect the 3.0L to beat the 5.3L in a drag race. 

Torque at low rpm is a wonderful thing.

Thought it might have been closer...:sigh:

Edited by redwngr

Getting ready for my first oil change... does anyone know where I can order the oil online? I am having a hard time finding it.

Also, any recommendations on the brand of oil filter I should go with? Should I just stick with the ACDelco PF66? 

On 2/27/2020 at 6:11 PM, larryz71 said:

Didn't expect the 3.0L to beat the 5.3L in a drag race. 

All their acceleration tests are done at over a mile above sea level. The naturally aspirated engines are down 20+% power vs the turbocharged engines. That's why I never understood why they bother doing 0-60 tests because they're so far removed from what the majority of us would see.

• Like 1

hay everyone , just joined...…………..I traded a 17 canyon diesel an a 14 cruze diesel for a new gmc sierra 3.0 diesel.

so far big improvement over the canyon. I used the canyon for towing my hellcat to the dragstrip an also 24 ft RV.

I used the cruze to commute to work but since I just retired I don`t need it any more.

I`m sure the sierra will do a better job towing, canyon was ok but felt I needed a bit more.

retired from auto repair , mechanic for over 40 years.

hopefully I can add to this forum over time.

• Like 3

Just got back from a New Orleans -> Houston drive and tried to do a little MPG calculating/estimating. 

From DIC for as long as I could sustain. Please note this is not scientific, just gives a rough idea in real world driving. 

Cruise Control set to:

60mph - 32/33mpg

65mph - 29/30mpg

70mph - 25/26mpg

75mph - 22/23mpg

80mph - 20mpg

Crew cab 3.0L 4wd Z71 275/60R20 stock Dueler ATs

Temp: low 70’s, not very windy, “low” humidity considering the territory ?

I plan on trying to fine tune this as accurate as possible to compare once I get leveled and bigger tires : )

Edited by Duramax3oh
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just got back from a New Orleans -> Houston drive and tried to do a little MPG calculating/estimating. 

From DIC for as long as I could sustain. Please note this is not scientific, just gives a rough idea in real world driving. 

Cruise Control set to:
60mph - 32/33mpg
65mph - 29/30mpg
70mph - 25/26mpg
75mph - 22/23mpg
80mph - 20mpg

Crew cab 3.0L 4wd Z71 275/60R20 stock Dueler ATs

Temp: low 70’s, not very windy, “low” humidity considering the territory [emoji38]

I plan on trying to fine tune this as accurate as possible to compare once I get leveled and bigger tires : )
Damn, great mpg for running 80. That trek is pretty flat and definitely at sea level ( or below hahah) so your mpg should be realistic.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

On 1/18/2020 at 1:57 PM, Gswartz said:

I think it’s comical that the guy sees the coolant temp keeps climbing so he keeps driving. Then is probably upset when it breaks 

That TK guy seemed to think that all diesel engines should have a normal engine temperature of 190F and was freaked out that his 3.0L Dmax even got to 210F. Odd that he never showed the 2nd truck hit 240F. He showed it climb to 220F while cruising around the city, but that appears normal for this engine due to way  the active grille shutters are programmed as well as the active cooling sytem.

On 2/19/2020 at 7:18 AM, jaslon said:

So, would you recommend the Duramax, say if I have a one way drive to work of 22 miles?

I do tow occasionally, but I would probably buy the Duramax for the gas mileage.

The best way to destroy a modern diesel is to start it up, drive a few miles, and shut it back down. I watched a guy with a Ram 1500 Ecodiesel destroy two engines plus exhaust system doing that. He's drive across town to work every day. If you have a habit of doing short drives like that, diesels with modern emissions systems are not for you.

On 2/26/2020 at 11:55 PM, davester said:

And, for the 3.0 engine, I believe there is that belt at the back of the engine that has to be periodically replaced every 150k, which is a fairly expensive thing to replace... 

No more than it would cost to replace the timing chains or belt on a DOHC engine, which is a scheduled maintenance item for most of them and take as much or more  work to change. Ford has used a similar wet belt oil pump setup for roughly 10 years now on one of their engines.