3.0L Duramax - who owns or has driven one

Just throwing this out there. At what point mileage wise does the extra cost of the 3.0 over the 5.3 plus the higher cost of diesel even out? Not saying for or against just thinking. I was intrigued by this engine but went with the 6.2 

Really depends on the spread between 87 and diesel which fluctuates constantly. The other unknown variable is maintenance costs between the two. It’s safe to say the diesel will be higher, but by how much?

I could easily argue the cost savings vs. the 6.2, but to argue against the 5.3 would be subjective at best.

The rationale for MY decision to go for the duramax was:

1) total cost of ownership vs 5.3 - who has a crystal ball? probably a wash..

2) I’d consider myself an enthusiast so a premium engine option makes me happy..

3) personally, I don’t care about how fast my truck goes, as long as it is fast enough to feel safe (which the 3.0 provides easily)

4)The 3.0 puts out the same torque as the 6.2, and at a much lower RPM

5)I have a two year old and travel across
state lines regularly to see family. Regardless of engine option, you get a 24 gallon tank (to my knowledge). The duramax makes late night drives so much easier. My 5.3 AT4 was lucky to get 17 MPG at 80-85MPH. Stopping constantly for fuels wakes up the little one and the wife. That s*** will ruin a long trip quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 2/20/2020 at 10:33 PM, ArTurf said:

If you want a standard bed better come to the realization you'll need to order it, especially with the 3.0

I did -2020 Silverado HC 

I had to order mine for my 3.0 Sierra Denali. GMC's website won't even let you build a 4x4 denali with a standard bed. Mine was just accepted into production this week, hopefully should have it within the next couple months.

9 hours ago, fighting irish said:

I had to order mine for my 3.0 Sierra Denali. GMC's website won't even let you build a 4x4 denali with a standard bed. Mine was just accepted into production this week, hopefully should have it within the next couple months.

Somebody messed up when they last edited/updated the price/build sites.

Cdn version will only build them in 4wd.

US version will only build them in 2wd. 

Using the 'view inventory 'function in the price/build program shows a small percentage of the 3.0 Denali's nearby are std box. 

(some dealers don't show any 3.0's)

Edited by redwngr

On 2/20/2020 at 10:18 PM, larryz71 said:

Really depends on the spread between 87 and diesel which fluctuates constantly. The other unknown variable is maintenance costs between the two. It’s safe to say the diesel will be higher, but by how much?

I could easily argue the cost savings vs. the 6.2, but to argue against the 5.3 would be subjective at best.

The rationale for MY decision to go for the duramax was:

1) total cost of ownership vs 5.3 - who has a crystal ball? probably a wash..

2) I’d consider myself an enthusiast so a premium engine option makes me happy..

3) personally, I don’t care about how fast my truck goes, as long as it is fast enough to feel safe (which the 3.0 provides easily)

4)The 3.0 puts out the same torque as the 6.2, and at a much lower RPM

5)I have a two year old and travel across
state lines regularly to see family. Regardless of engine option, you get a 24 gallon tank (to my knowledge). The duramax makes late night drives so much easier. My 5.3 AT4 was lucky to get 17 MPG at 80-85MPH. Stopping constantly for fuels wakes up the little one and the wife. That s*** will ruin a long trip quickly.

I see your points.

My reasons for going with the 6.2 were higher towing capacity, about 2900 lbs. and the fact that the 3.0 was a new and unproven motor. 

I've never owned a diesel, for those who have what is your opinion on gas vs. diesel in this particular case.

Again this is not a for or against post just a discussion. The idea of the 3.0 still interests me and I think it would be a better daily driver in many ways, maybe my next truck will have it.

Edited by ArTurf
  • Like 1

I see your points.

My reasons for going with the 6.2 were higher towing capacity, about 2900 lbs. and the fact that the 3.0 was a new and unproven motor. 

I've never owned a diesel, for those who have what is your opinion on gas vs. diesel in this particular case.

Again this is not a for or against post just a discussion. The idea of the 3.0 still interests me and I think it would be a better daily driver in many ways, maybe my next truck will have it.
This is my first diesel, came from the 6.2L in my 2010. The 3.0L matches the 6.2 if not exceeded it in daily driving and highway, but it's definitely not as fun when you get on it or want to play a bit. I don't miss the premium fuel as in my area it is much more expensive than diesel. The 3.0L is downright quick in town getting around with that low tourqe.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, ArTurf said:

I see your points.

I would say 6.2 wins in towing if you're towing the heavier loads that the 3.0 can't, or are concerned about the heavier loads.

I'd say the 3.0 wins in towing if you're towing lighter loads due to its better low-end torque and towing mpg. 

I would also say at the end of the day you're going to absolutely love either engine and have no regrets with either. But man you're not kidding with the new/unproven motor risk. That kind of stuff always makes me a little nervous!

Edited by Duramax3oh

9 hours ago, Duramax3oh said:

I would say 6.2 wins in towing if you're towing the heavier loads that the 3.0 can't, or are concerned about the heavier loads.

I'd say the 3.0 wins in towing if you're towing lighter loads due to its better low-end torque and towing mpg. 

I would also say at the end of the day you're going to absolutely love either engine and have no regrets with either. But man you're not kidding with the new/unproven motor risk. That kind of stuff always makes me a little nervous!

I old enough to remember the last 1/2 ton diesel GM came out with, a converted gasser. That didn't work out too well. Hopefully this one will turn out better.

• Like 1

Thought I would throw out my experience from picking up my truck this weekend. Ordered an AT4 with a standard bed. Drove it just over 600 miles from Idaho to California today. 

To start, this thing is super smooth. Like so smooth, my girl didn’t even know it was running when she got into it today. The 3.0 has tons of torque down low which makes it pull pretty good. No problems at any speed. The 10 speed is amazing as well. Never seemed like it was searching for a gear which I feel like the 6 and 8 did. Seems to always be in the right gear and ready to go. 

Ran it at 70-80mph the entire way and averaged 24.5mph(calculated). Was in the low 20s for the start(higher speed) and high 20s at the end(lower speed and down hill).  This is with only 2 spirited runs. Tried to keep the throttle steady. 

Got the adaptive CC and it’s nice. My girls 2019 RAV4 hybrid has it and it is super smooth. The one on the truck slows more abruptly and accelerates like it’s in a race which is annoying. Still happy I got it. 

Over all, truck is awesome and I’m really pleased with it. I would definitely suggest this motor to anyone looking. 

• Like 2

I old enough to remember the last 1/2 ton diesel GM came out with, a converted gasser. That didn't work out too well. Hopefully this one will turn out better.

I remember a buddy of mine in college had the big Jimmy with the diesel, slow and noisy engine but later flipped it while trying to go up a steep muddy hill. Good thing he didn’t have the top off that time.

Sent from Above

Thought I would throw out my experience from picking up my truck this weekend. Ordered an AT4 with a standard bed. Drove it just over 600 miles from Idaho to California today. 

To start, this thing is super smooth. Like so smooth, my girl didn’t even know it was running when she got into it today. The 3.0 has tons of torque down low which makes it pull pretty good. No problems at any speed. The 10 speed is amazing as well. Never seemed like it was searching for a gear which I feel like the 6 and 8 did. Seems to always be in the right gear and ready to go. 

Ran it at 70-80mph the entire way and averaged 24.5mph(calculated). Was in the low 20s for the start(higher speed) and high 20s at the end(lower speed and down hill).  This is with only 2 spirited runs. Tried to keep the throttle steady. 

Got the adaptive CC and it’s nice. My girls 2019 RAV4 hybrid has it and it is super smooth. The one on the truck slows more abruptly and accelerates like it’s in a race which is annoying. Still happy I got it. 

Over all, truck is awesome and I’m really pleased with it. I would definitely suggest this motor to anyone looking. 

Congratulations, hope you enjoy it. Post pics

Sent from Above

i now have about 13k miles on mine an have enjoyed it very much.  I have towed boat, 30'RV bumper pull, lowboy trailer with tractor and have not felt the need for any more power or lack of while towing.  All have under 9000lbs and would not use that truck if towing heavier.  Unloaded, my mileage is usually between 25-27 mpg hwy at 80-85 mph.  Don't hesitate with this motor if it fits your needs.  

• Like 1

I had a 2019 LT crew with the 5.3 and 8 speed, now I have the 2020 with the 3.0 and a 10 speed I would never go back to the 5.3. The cost of diesel fuel matters not when your mpg is almost double.

Edited by ILSilverado

I had a 2019 LT crew with the 5.3 and 8 speed, now I have the 2020 with the 3.0 and a 10 speed I would never go back to the 5.3. The cost of diesel fuel matters not when your mpg is almost double.

Agreed. I went from a 16 5.3L/ 8Sp to a 20 3.0L 10 sp, no comparison. Mpg is nearly double in city and 50% better on hwy. tons of torque and fun to drive. 10 spd shifts very nice, 1000x better than the 8spd

I got a 2020 with the 3.0 came from a 2017 Ford Raptor, 10 speed in both and this ones for sure smoother but lacks 200 extra HP... in 2 weeks I've put 1500 miles on it and the best I've averaged for 50 miles is 32mpg no complaints yet. For looks the Raptor blows this out of the water but for reliability the raptor was a steamy pile I had issue after issue and hopefully this wont disappoint.     

86C93A27-DAFD-4505-8397-1281F4F629B1.jpeg

Edited by Andris
  • Like 1