3.0L Duramax - who owns or has driven one

On ‎9‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 7:38 PM, wizard4878 said:

the diesel holds 2 quarts more

Just read in my owners manual that the 3.0 Duramax takes 7 quarts of oil.

1 hour ago, Booger T said:

Just read in my owners manual that the 3.0 Duramax takes 7 quarts of oil.

2.7L and 4.3L hold 6qt.

The 3.0L holds 7 qt,

The 5.3L, 6.2 L and 6.6L (gas) hold 8qt.

The 6.6L Duramax holds 10qt.

When I was shopping in November, I had salesman tell me:

-1500 diesel didn’t exist

-it’s a duramax/Allison so it will last forever

-It’s a 1500 but can pull like a 2500 with the diesel

-1500 diesels don’t exist

-these Allison transmissions are indestructible 

-they will get 40mpg

-you can’t get leather without a sunroof. 

98% of them don’t know about the cars they are selling because they are too busy BSing with each other and playing on their phone. 

Edited by Gswartz
  • Like 6

On 1/5/2020 at 10:14 AM, wizard4878 said:

wouldn't have ever thought it would take less than a gas engine,  guess the salesman that said it held 10qts was wrong

The 6.6L takes 10qts, maybe that’s where he pulled the number from? 

27 minutes ago, dw91 said:

The 6.6L takes 10qts, maybe that’s where he pulled the number from? 

Likely.

In any case, a couple quarts per oil change doesn't change the cost of ownership in a material way. 

Edited by redwngr

Noticed today after sitting idling for a long time as I was in and out working outside that when I got back in the truck to drive it had a lot more exhaust coming out the back then normal, even compared to other cold days I've driven. Cleared back up after a minute or two, just curious if there was a build up of exhaust from idling for so long or what the deal was. Temp was around 10 degrees.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

9 minutes ago, becker87 said:

Noticed today after sitting idling for a long time as I was in and out working outside that when I got back in the truck to drive it had a lot more exhaust coming out the back then normal, even compared to other cold days I've driven. Cleared back up after a minute or two, just curious if there was a build up of exhaust from idling for so long or what the deal was. Temp was around 10 degrees.

Possibly a regen? 

Possibly, so hard to tell on these trucks, so quite and can't even smell anything if it is windy ( which it was). I don't think there was any issues but thought it was interesting. I'm a newbie in the diesel ownership world.

14 hours ago, redwngr said:

Likely.

In any case, a couple quarts per oil change doesn't change the cost of ownership in a material way. 

You can do more mileage per oil change on the diesel so it’s a wash.

8 hours ago, becker87 said:

Possibly, so hard to tell on these trucks, so quite and can't even smell anything if it is windy ( which it was). I don't think there was any issues but thought it was interesting. I'm a newbie in the diesel ownership world.

On the 6.6 the rpms are higher while idling during a regen. You notice when you come to a stop the truck feels like it’s trying to pull through the brakes and the truck moves much quicker at idle speed.

On the 6.6 the rpms are higher while idling during a regen. You notice when you come to a stop the truck feels like it’s trying to pull through the brakes and the truck moves much quicker at idle speed.
Thanks, I will watch out for that.

4 hours ago, dw91 said:

You notice when you come to a stop the truck feels like it’s trying to pull through the brakes and the truck moves much quicker at idle speed.

I've read that comment other places too,  but after years of operating LMM, LML and L5P I've never had it occur.

Yes, release the brake in a hard. flat location and it will roll ahead, but it's same as when the dmax is not in regen and the same as  gas engine vehicles that I've run.