3.0L Duramax - who owns or has driven one

11 hours ago, Jim71 said:

Anyone get a service emission system warning message ? I did for 3 days,then went away..

Not yet but I hear a TSB is coming for the 3.0 system re flash ask the Dealer.

Edited by ILSilverado

On 1/12/2020 at 6:17 PM, Eric Brickman said:

I appreciate the bulletin post. 

No, this guys trucks coolant temp started creeping up from 210. He figured it might have been doing a regen, and kept driving. It got to 260, the truck went into reduced power mode. He got towed to the dealer and upon inspection the head gasket had failed (probably as a function of such high coolant temps) and the heads warped. (Truck had 146 miles) 

Then, he got a 3.0L loaner, and had to return that truck as it did the same exact thing. 

I figured it was isolated, but people in those comments that claim to have a 3.0L, or friends with a 3.0L, say it’s happened to them too. (Internet can be shady, who knows if they actually have or know of people with 3.0L Duramax with this issue). 

just figured I would ask owners on a more trustworthy platform. 

He blew a head gasket is what I hear. When this happens on a brand new motor its usually an assembly or bad parts issue at the engine assembly plant. GM tests these engines pretty hard before putting them into service. I can’t see this as being a wide spread issue.

Edited by ILSilverado

12 hours ago, ILSilverado said:

Not yet but I hear a TSB is coming for the 3.0 system re flash ask the Dealer.

Just got my first oil change today.I had two recalls corrected.one for the seatbelt pretensioner N192270600 and ECM and Reductant  Control modules  N192282970. No one  in the service department had heard of any emissions issues so far .

6 hours ago, Jim71 said:

Just got my first oil change today.I had two recalls corrected.one for the seatbelt pretensioner N192270600 and ECM and Reductant  Control modules  N192282970. No one  in the service department had heard of any emissions issues so far .

I doubt they would, given how few of these things are out there.  Give it another 2-3 years by which time a good number of the 3.0s will be out there but right now, I'm betting only several thousand at the most.  It's not a popular engine choice yet.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/21/2020 at 5:30 AM, woychc said:

Following. Pick up my 2020 3.0L SLT this weekend. Going from a 16, 5.3L, 8pd.

Will report back once I get a few KMs on it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Any update? 

My 3.0L AT4 will be delivered early next week! I liked everything about my 2019 5.3L AT4 except the gas mileage. My lifetime average over 5200 miles is 17.4, and that was with fairly ideal conditions and my definition of conservative driving. 

Any update? 

My 3.0L AT4 will be delivered early next week! I liked everything about my 2019 5.3L AT4 except the gas mileage. My lifetime average over 5200 miles is 17.4, and that was with fairly ideal conditions and my definition of conservative driving. 

So far so good. Lots of power, fun to drive. So far great on fuel. Only have about 450kms on it, but sitting at about 11.2L/100kms with a mix of 70% city/ 30% hwy. Absolutely no complaints!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
Any updates from those who have been driving these?

800mi and running just fine. Had a dead battery issue with 250mi on it but I’m going to chalk that up to me installing an LED front turn signal that drew phantom power from the battery.

Very happy with the motor. Great power and trans is extremely smooth and power is linear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

37 minutes ago, chris84 said:

Any updates from those who have been driving these?

Got mine a few days ago and put a couple hundred miles on it over the weekend. Absolutely love the motor! Great power, quiet, smooth and great MPG. It pairs really well with the 10-speed. Reminds me a lot of a Duramax Allison combo in how it shifts. 

I've noticed a lot of computer control going on. You can hear clicks and servos starting whenever you open a door. I'm used to this with DI gas engines where opening the door will prime the high pressure fuel system. I assume the same thing here and also probably the DEF system. 

I think this has some wicked ECU management going on. The coolant temp seems to be tightly managed. I noticed at times the temp staying well under 210, then going up to 210, then over 210 (maybe 220 or 230 according to the gauge) then back down again. It seems to be monitoring engine load and probably lots of other things to keep engine temp optimal for efficiency. Very different than a simple thermostat opening at set temp. Also, the active grill shutters are probably being used to help regulate coolant temp for max engine efficiency and aero drag. This is not an engine I would dare tamper with (tune, etc) for a long long time.

I'm not sure it has done a DPF regen yet. If it did, it was less than 10 minutes. The only weird thing I've noticed is the DEF gauge showed one bar under full when I took delivery, then showed about half a tank after 50 miles or so, then popped up a notice that DEF range was 986 miles or something close to that. I added 2.5 gallons DEF today and it took all of it. I bet the dealer didn't fill the DEF tank and it prob had whatever it came out of the factory in it, and prob not enough run time for the DEF gauge to measure the actual amount (hence it showing nearly full). The truck had like 9 miles on it when I took delivery. No harm, I'll add DEF until it's full and go from there. 

My fuel gauge shows about 3/4 full now and I've gone 220 miles - no complaints there!

My only real complaint so far is the auto-stop system. I just haven't created the habit of hitting the disable button yet, so it will shut off and then I'll remember to hit the button. 

I love the truck so far, very very happy with the 3.0.

We’ve had ours for a bit over a month now and 1200 miles. Only one issue with black screen which was fixed by dealer with update. No other issues but have noticed the coolant temp running up and down too.  Our “around the town” mileage is about 24mpg so far and it drives so well with the suspension that makes it feel more like a car than a truck.  We still have not tried remote start on it yet even with the temp getting down to -10, however when we crank it during the coldest temps, it starts up fast.

I purchased a 2020 RST 3.0 about a month ago. So far I love the truck, as my 2018 GMC SLT transmission went out. The 10 speed has been more enjoyable than the six speed. 1,300mi on the truck.

NOTE: Truck did leave my wife and I stranded on I-75 due to turbo. Apparently a clamp was never " Installed " from the factory. That was at 400 miles on the clock.  

* No issues sense then. 

truck.jpg

Edited by Hogan Vinoski

I've had mine for 2 weeks now, right at 475 miles on it. Absolutely love this truck, overall.

But specifically the 3.0L paired with the 10-speed transmission is the reason I got this truck and I am not disappointed. The torque kicks in early and stays consistent, and the truck shifts gears smoothly.

This is my first diesel and I do hear a lot of clicking noises after I park. Like switches clicking on then off - just part of it I guess. only thing out of the ordinary. For me, the engine is the perfect sound too. It purrs like a kitten, is very quiet and smooth. You still know it's a diesel and when you give it some juice it opens up enough to smile but not enough to overpower your ears/radio/conversation/etc.

10/10 would buy again : )

ETA - I have about 75 miles left on the fuel range. DIC is showing about a 19.5 MPG average. So far it's been primarily city and I have been idling a ton just learning about the truck and keeping it running. The little highway miles I have driven I can really tell it shines there. Fully expect mileage to improve when I'm over the "newness" of it all.

Edited by Duramax3oh