3.0L Duramax - who owns or has driven one

I think up to 9300 lbs towing and 1860 payload is pretty capable for a 1/2 ton truck. Sounds like you need a 3/4 ton to do what you need. 

Those figures are prob in a double cab 2wd. The payload sticker on the truck in this thread says 1600. I’m not saying it’s not a capable 1/2 ton, I just find it odd that all the diesels 1/2 tons are less capable than their gas counterparts. Isn’t the point of the diesel to have more capability?? Idk.lol

I did end up purchasing a 2017 Silverado 2500hd. Toyhaulers are very tongue heavy and I hated the way my 2011 Sierra 1500 hauled it.[emoji106]

On 11/1/2019 at 7:49 AM, Rubyralph said:

I'm confused, there are two tow ratings in print for the new 2020 Duramax 1500 Silverado.

TFL truck published:

"...with a maximum tow rating of 7,600 pounds. When properly equipped , the latest Chevy Silverado 1500 diesel can tow up to 9,300 pounds."

So what makes a 2020 Silverado 1500 3.0 Duramax "properly equipped" to tow 9,300 pounds?

I would only guess 2wd vs 4wd or the cab configurations and is there an optional rear gear ratio??

I can't find any 2020 GM Trailing guides for the 3.0 Silverado, maybe someone else has this info?

Thanks

On 11/1/2019 at 8:29 AM, becker87 said:

I'm guessing it has something to do with trim levels between LT and RST. Don't the LTs have a different leaf spring? My Duramax is an RST has a tow rating of over 9000 according to the door

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

On 11/1/2019 at 1:54 PM, Cpl_Punishment said:

I saw a story from Motor1 saying GM is considering increasing the tow rating of the Duramax. I hope that means it will be available with NHT when they do. 9000 lbs is plenty of towing capacity for me but, as is typical when towing with a half ton, I'd be concerned about running out of payload and I'd rather have the auxiliary coolers and the 3.42 rear end. 

On 11/1/2019 at 4:09 PM, Rubyralph said:

Well now we know the TFL 2020 Silverado 1500 3.0 Duramax  2wd has a maximum tow rating of 7,600 lbs. 

And that your RST trim level 2020 Silverado 1500 3.0 Duramax has a door sticker rating of over 9,000 lbs.

All I'm saying is, it would be nice if GM had the "trailering guides" posted for the new 3.0 Duramax!?

30 minutes ago, kenny_r said:

Those figures are prob in a double cab 2wd. The payload sticker on the truck in this thread says 1600. I’m not saying it’s not a capable 1/2 ton, I just find it odd that all the diesels 1/2 tons are less capable than their gas counterparts. Isn’t the point of the diesel to have more capability?? Idk.lol

I did end up purchasing a 2017 Silverado 2500hd. Toyhaulers are very tongue heavy and I hated the way my 2011 Sierra 1500 hauled it.emoji106.png

These are all for the 1500 with 3.0L Dmax

2020 Chevrolet Silverado    2WD Short Bed/Crew Cab    7,600
2020 Chevrolet Silverado    4WD Short Bed/Crew Cab    9,300
2020 Chevrolet Silverado    2WD Standard Bed/Crew Cab    7,500
2020 Chevrolet Silverado    4WD Standard Bed/Crew Cab    9,200
2020 Chevrolet Silverado    2WD Standard Bed/Double Cab    7,600
2020 Chevrolet Silverado    4WD Standard Bed/Double Cab    9,300

Sierra similar, but generally a couple 100 lbs less in each case.

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2019/11/chevrolet-silverado-gmc-sierra-1500-diesel-tow-ratings-might-increase-soon/ 

I didn't check the order guide to verify the article for every cab/box/2/4wd combo, but it seems the 2wd's are mid 7000's  and 4wd''s a little over 9000

Edited by redwngr
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, kenny_r said:

I did end up purchasing a 2017 Silverado 2500hd. Toyhaulers are very tongue heavy and I hated the way my 2011 Sierra 1500 hauled it.emoji106.png

No doubt that 2500hd you bought is a difference maker.  Very nice trucks and if I was towing over 7k on a regular basis i'd look for a similar truck.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, redwngr said:

These are all for the 1500 with 3.0L Dmax

2020 Chevrolet Silverado    2WD Short Bed/Crew Cab    7,600
2020 Chevrolet Silverado    4WD Short Bed/Crew Cab    9,300
2020 Chevrolet Silverado    2WD Standard Bed/Crew Cab    7,500
2020 Chevrolet Silverado    4WD Standard Bed/Crew Cab    9,200
2020 Chevrolet Silverado    2WD Standard Bed/Double Cab    7,600
2020 Chevrolet Silverado    4WD Standard Bed/Double Cab    9,300

Sierra similar, but generally a couple 100 lbs less in each case.

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2019/11/chevrolet-silverado-gmc-sierra-1500-diesel-tow-ratings-might-increase-soon/ 

I didn't check the order guide to verify the article for every cab/box/2/4wd combo, but it seems the 2wd's are mid 7000's  and 4wd''s a little over 9000

Thank you very much for posting! This is the first towing chart I have found on the new 2020 3.0 Duramax diesel pickup.

Apparently they have an exhaust brake. But it’s only active in tow/haul mode. 

so long
j-ten-ner
I guess I have not tried tow haul mode yet, always looked for a button or switch. Good to know! Guess I was wrong, thanks!

1 hour ago, becker87 said:

I guess I have not tried tow haul mode yet, always looked for a button or switch. Good to know! Guess I was wrong, thanks!

I couldn't find proof for my statement. At least not in the diesel manual supplement.

But I've read or heard it somewhere. I hope that they didn't mix up the grade braking with exhaust braking.

Let me know what you find out, since I have an eye on this engine...;)

so long

j-ten-ner

GM media has mentioned/discussed the exhaust brake for the 3.0L.

https://media.chevrolet.com/media/us/en/chevrolet/home.detail.html/content/Pages/news/us/en/2019/jun/0603-silverado.html

I believe I've seen others with more detail than what is provided in the above link. 

From Techlink:

3.0L Diesel Engine

The diesel exhaust brake function on the 3.0L diesel engine is part of the Tow/Haul Mode Grade Braking system. Tow/Haul Mode Grade Braking is only enabled while the Tow/Haul Mode is selected.

https://gm-techlink.com/?p=12048

Edited by redwngr

I have a new 3.0 1500, traded in the 2.8 Colorado on it. So far I'm happy with it. MPG are about the same as a daily driver and have yet to tow so I can't say anything on that issue.

I am getting use to not having as much on the truck, my LT Colorado had brake controller, safety stuff like the lane departure, following to close and the BT phone stuff seems to have been cut back on options. But I have a heated steering wheel?????? I'm still finding stuff that is different.

• 3 weeks later...

New guy here...

Hoping to give my .02 in case someone is considering the 3.0. And it’s also for the guy who is believing all the negative BS reviews like I almost did. 

Long post, sorry. 

Just picked up a Silverado LTZ CC Z-71 with the 3.0, two days later loaded up the family and a week’s worth of stuff for our annual trip from FL to the mountains in TN. ~ 1200 miles round trip.

Beside road trips, my commute is 80 miles round trip on rural 2-lane roads (60-70mph)  and I think it’s gonna shine there. I rarely tow, and when I do it’s a utility trailer that didn’t much stress our wheezy Acadia let alone a 1/2-ton. 

We got the 3.0 for fuel economy vs. the 6.2 (another great motor) and I think it delivered (averaged 24.8 mpg round trip, including a week of driving up and down the mountain on a narrow, steep road — 2500 rpms at 20 mph). On the interstate, I kept up with the flow of traffic in the left lane, if you catch my drift — no hypermiling.  Truck has less than 1300 miles on it now, we’ll see if the mpg gets even better later. Mine’s 4x4, but it was in 2wd the whole time. 

The truck rode and handled damn well. It is smooth and solid-feeling. Had no issues tracking straight and handling the mountains on I-40 sandwiched between a half-asleep trucker in the right lane and a cement divider wall on the left, for example.

My wife and my 3- and 5-year old kids were never jostled by any bumps or drama. Never sloppy. Loaded or unloaded. Never drove a 2019, so can’t comment if that’s different.

(To understand my POV, our other family car is a leased 2019 top-tier European SUV, which is a great car, but the only thing that it does better is superior interior materials/seats and impressing the college kid working as a valet — maybe better crash scores — otherwise, it’s a bit noisier/thirstier/harsher-riding, with coarser sounds coming from the engine bay). 

Who knows about long-term reliability on a new motor from ANY OEM (so far, I’ve had great luck with GM) but that 3.0 is definitely a premium motor and works flawlessly with the 10-speed (or vice versa). The truck was never in the wrong gear, never hunting/never harsh, and always gave me the power I needed, when I needed it. No drama, just quiet supreme confidence. Kudos to the GM engineers on this one. They knocked this powertrain tune out of the park (they’ve had some MAJOR tuning missteps lately, including the 17 Acadia this truck replaced for us). 

In FL, diesel costs more than 87 but about on par with 93 — I’m used to putting premium in my wife’s SUV and my G8, so that’s not a big shocker for my budget. Others without that same prior experience might feel differently. 

Hope this helps someone looking at these trucks. 

• Like 6