3.0L Duramax - who owns or has driven one

On 9/29/2019 at 9:14 PM, becker87 said:

Did a short interstate run today, amazing what a little tail wind can do. Normally have gotten 23-24 at 80 mph which I still think is pretty good for a pickup at that speed493a3cc189c4811f2e9afe080fb3abd6.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Hmm so you see low to almost mid 20s at 80mph?

I was probably expecting too much but was hoping to see 27-30mpg highway doing 70-75mph.  If you're getting 23-24 in a Silverado, I wonder if the Sierra gets even less then that, since it is rated less from the EPA to begin with.

Will have to see what others get as more people buy them and get miles on em.

I was probably expecting too much but was hoping to see 27-30mpg highway doing 70-75mph.  If you're getting 23-24 in a Silverado, I wonder if the Sierra gets even less then that, since it is rated less from the EPA to begin with.

Will have to see what others get as more people buy them and get miles on em.
At 70 the mpg get to around 26-27 but on interstate I don't drive 70, mainly do that on back highway roads. When is the last time you've seen a vehicle reach the EPA estimate at 80 mph anyway?

6 hours ago, becker87 said:

At 70 the mpg get to around 26-27 but on interstate I don't drive 70, mainly do that on back highway roads. When is the last time you've seen a vehicle reach the EPA estimate at 80 mph anyway?

Totally do agree with you... whats the window sticker say on your truck? I think you have CC std bed 4wd? 

6 minutes ago, becker87 said:

Yes, 23/29

I guess I wasnt expecting the mpg to be as high as 5mpg off highway number.  My truck never got 21mpg per the sticker highway but consistently gets 19mpg even running 75 to 80. 

I know we're  comparing apples to oranges with our trucks.  Like you mentioned 80mph is a different ball game than 70mph.  

Ill be curious to see other peoples experience as we see more owners. 

Either way,  Im still jealous i don't have one lol ?

I thought I read that Car and Driver got 40 mpg highway with this engine. Not sure what speed that was at, though. That combined with the fact that it towed an 8000 lb, 24 ft box trailer up a grade like a champ would be enough to make me want one if my commute was longer than 5 miles. 

I thought I read that Car and Driver got 40 mpg highway with this engine. Not sure what speed that was at, though. That combined with the fact that it towed an 8000 lb, 24 ft box trailer up a grade like a champ would be enough to make me want one if my commute was longer than 5 miles. 
I read a few articles like that as well and I believe they where hyper-miling them, I believe that's what you call it. Ya know, mirrors in, drafting, low speed, things like that.

Hoping with a little more break in things only get better. I'm still averaging about 27-28 driving from job site to job site in town and that's the main reason I got it as some days I put on 70-80 miles just in town and saving that much in fuel costs is big to me

• Like 1

Did you guys see that TFL did a 70mph highway run with an EcoDiesel tradesman?  Hand calced to 40mpg!  DIC said 32 or 33 I think.  It's hard to say it actually got 40mpg, even they are skeptical and plan to run the truck again.  These guys are pretty good at these kind of things tho, they try to remove as many variables as possible and keeps things as constant as possible for each vehicle they test.

Hoping the EPA comes out with their numbers for the EcoDiesel soon!

On 10/1/2019 at 11:04 AM, becker87 said:

my 2018 Camry has an EPA rating of 38. I typically get 40 MPGs. Will always get 38 and have even pulled in 42 once. 

Anyone have anymore updates on this?  I think iI am picking one up Monday.  Trading out 2019 LT Z71 with the 5.3.  I drive approx 35k-40k miles a year and the fuel mileage difference is selling me on it.  Has anyone towed much with it yet?