3.0L Duramax - who owns or has driven one

I have been driving a Duramax Diesel for the last 15 years, 1st a 6.6 on a 2500HD and the last 3 years a Colorado with the 2.8L.

Outside putting Diesel and DEF fluid, there is no difference from a gasoline truck. I have never worried about regeneration and stopping. The truck does what it does when it needs to.

On all these years, I drove a combined 370,000 miles, only repairs so far, injectors (recall under warranty) a fuel pump, a water pump on the silverado and now the Colorado is asking for a DEF pump (under emission warranty). outside this, oil every 10k miles and that is it. 

Now I am looking at the 1500 with the 3.0, I love my Colorado, but it is getting small on me with the family. 

Hoping this thread goes back to its original track. 

Edited by shft22
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 9/18/2019 at 11:30 AM, KARNUT said:

Read it here, you can’t stop during regen. That’s the only comment I made about that. I didn’t mention the cost replacing those emissions parts when they fail. That I’ve heard from owners who choose delete instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Point is that you can stop during regeneration.

Whoever told you otherwise was wrong.

• Like 1

Point is that you can stop during regeneration.

Whoever told you otherwise was wrong.

WOW, this sh$t must really bother you. Boys and Girls do your research. Don’t just believe us. If you do short or moderate trips you could be forced to do a regen periodically from what I read. If you do long trips routinely your probably just fine. I don’t know why anyone would be against doing research. It wouldn’t be a fit for me. Most of my trips are 9 miles or less, except 3 times a year I round trip 3K miles.

If you research it, you will learn that indeed you CAN stop during regen, the truck will try to continue the regen next time it runs. If because your driving style it can not complete the regen after multiple tries, it will advice you and all you have to do is drive above 35mph for 20mins or so, btw it doesn't have to be a single drive, multiple drives above 35mph will complete the regen. Also there is a process to force a regen with the truck parked, but I have no experience with this. 

But honestly you should start another thread to discuss regen if you like, that is not what this one is for. 

• Like 1

If you research it, you will learn that indeed you CAN stop during regen, the truck will try to continue the regen next time it runs. If because your driving style it can not complete the regen after multiple tries, it will advice you and all you have to do is drive above 35mph for 20mins or so, btw it doesn't have to be a single drive, multiple drives above 35mph will complete the regen. Also there is a process to force a regen with the truck parked, but I have no experience with this. 

But honestly you should start another thread to discuss regen if you like, that is not what this one is for. 

So the effect of regen shouldn’t be discussed in a diesel thread, ok. I was actually interested in one because of the mileage. The fact that I would make a special trip to regen probably shouldn’t be considered. Got it.

Thanks SkiDooNick700 for the videos'!!!

Could you please provide more of your towing specs?

I would like to know how much weight your towing and how your truck pulls at highway speed, i.e. down shifting, RPM at 65 MPH,

tow haul exhaust braking and anything else you could address.

Again Thanks!!!!

Drove another 150 miles this afternoon at speeds from 68-75 through rural highways with going through towns and about 40 miles on interstate. Had a really good head wind about half the time, I'd say around 25, and averaged 25.1 according to the computer when I got home. Didn't think that was to bad considering the wind.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Rubyralph said:

Thanks SkiDooNick700 for the videos'!!!

Could you please provide more of your towing specs?

I would like to know how much weight your towing and how your truck pulls at highway speed, i.e. down shifting, RPM at 65 MPH,

tow haul exhaust braking and anything else you could address.

Again Thanks!!!!

Hey man sorry its not my truck,  sorry if i  didn't clarify in my posts.  Its a guy on YouTube.   He's responsive to comments on his vids there. 

8 hours ago, SkiDooNick700 said:

Hey man sorry its not my truck,  sorry if i  didn't clarify in my posts.  Its a guy on YouTube.   He's responsive to comments on his vids there. 

Sorry, I didn't read both of the entire posts, I will check in to it.

10 hours ago, becker87 said:

Drove another 150 miles this afternoon at speeds from 68-75 through rural highways with going through towns and about 40 miles on interstate. Had a really good head wind about half the time, I'd say around 25, and averaged 25.1 according to the computer when I got home. Didn't think that was to bad considering the wind.

Congrads on your new truck!!!

What color did you get, it looks different in the sun with blue sky than in the shade, I like it.

How is the 10 speed now that you have a few hundred miles on the truck?

Do you plan on towing with this truck??

Thanks

Congrads on your new truck!!!

What color did you get, it looks different in the sun with blue sky than in the shade, I like it.
How is the 10 speed now that you have a few hundred miles on the truck?
Do you plan on towing with this truck??

Thanks
Thanks!

Truck is satin steel but definitely looks different on different light. Liking the 10 speed so far, amazing how smooth it is, can barely tell when it shifts under light acceleration. Don't plan on towing much, mainly just a pontoon or tractor a few times a year. Mainly bought for mileage as I put a lot of miles on going from job site to job site to check on my landscape crews. Just needed the longer box to haul materials around.

On 9/5/2019 at 4:26 PM, dw91 said:

That’s not really added cost to owning a diesel though. 

I’m sure there’s going to be problems with the emissions junk at first (I had one in 7 years, 2 different trucks 200k km total) but that’ll get sorted. If you delete it before it’s out of warranty then you should know you’re assuming a lot of risk especially with a new generation. 

If you can find anyone to delete.  All the major players and reputable tuners are no longer offering delete tunes.  Only Joe in a  garage at the end of town might do it, if you are stupid enough to trust your investment to him and knowing that your vehicle will never go into a dealer again for anything.  The EPA is really cracking down on this stuff.  They will even get dealerships involved in reporting and even forcing the customer to pay to put the vehicle back into compliance.  Of the tuners that have offered delete tunes, it is rumored that EPA is wanting their invoices from these deletes so they can track VIN numbers and go after individuals.    PPEI, Banks, Bully Dog, PDI and EFI Live are all out of the delete game now.  EPA went on a major crackdown in the last few weeks.  PPEI was the last holdout to cave in. PDI got hit for 1.1 million dollars in fines.  

Edited by Cowpie

59 minutes ago, Cowpie said:

If you can find anyone to delete.  All the major players and reputable tuners are no longer offering delete tunes.  Only Joe in a  garage at the end of town might do it, if you are stupid enough to trust your investment to him and knowing that your vehicle will never go into a dealer again for anything.  The EPA is really cracking down on this stuff.  They will even get dealerships involved in reporting and even forcing the customer to pay to put the vehicle back into compliance.  Of the tuners that have offered delete tunes, it is rumored that EPA is wanting their invoices from these deletes so they can track VIN numbers and go after individuals.    PPEI, Banks, Bully Dog, PDI and EFI Live are all out of the delete game now.  EPA went on a major crackdown in the last few weeks.  PPEI was the last holdout to cave in. PDI got hit for 1.1 million dollars in fines. 

Wow! That’s pretty interesting and I didn’t know that. I did research on deleting my last two truck (2011 LTZ duramax/2015 Denali duramax) but never took the plunge. Warranty to me on those diesels was more valuable.

Of course, California is really anal about this stuff.  It has been reported that they are now randomly stopping pickup trucks and look to see if SCR/DPF units have been deleted.  And as we all know, as goes California so goes the rest of the nation.   The Feds are the ones behind this, so it really doesn't matter where you live or whether you have state emisions testing if you think it will not affect you.  If one already has a deleted diesel, likely will never have an issue as long as the keep their fat mouth shut and not go around rolling coal and other nonsense. 

What we can hope for is that, according to Kory at PPEI, there will still be allowed performance tunes that keep things EPA compliant.  I still think that someone might slip in a section of code that turns off EGR which is the main culprit in soot production and in creating the majority of problems with the motor and downstream stuff.   So by all appearances, things will be in "compliance".   But I think it will not be for a while till some try to slip this kind of code in. The eyes of the EPA are on everyone right now. When the dust settles, maybe.

Edited by Cowpie