3.0L Duramax - who owns or has driven one

48 minutes ago, redwngr said:

I would argue that the bulk def from a busy truckstop pump is probably fresher than jugs.

(if you are saying don't by jugs that are stacked by a fuel pump, then I'd agree)

No I’m saying buy the jugs. Lots of reported issues with the stuff at the pumps being contaminated. 

1 hour ago, redwngr said:

What kind of fuel mileage does it get? sounds like way more def than the 6.6 GM's are usng.

GM 6.6's def usage is about 1.5 or 2% of fuel.

I guess I should say that it's a M2 freightliner chassis with the 6.7 cummins, so I'm sure the emissions requirements make so that the regen is performed more often. For how big and heavy the truck is it can get 12mpg on a good day and my normal avg is 11mpg.

1 hour ago, dw91 said:

No I’m saying buy the jugs. Lots of reported issues with the stuff at the pumps being contaminated. 

I been making it a point when needing to fill DEF.  Turn the nossle downward before ever bringing it up to the truck.  Those nossels all seem to have fluid in them when being taken from the pump.

On 9/6/2019 at 9:19 PM, dw91 said:

In my area fuel is the same price, def is roughly $25/7-8000km depending on usage, and oil changes are the same. So def and fuel filters are the added cost. $100/yr in def and 2 fuel filters, not a big deal.

thats great,  diesel here is always at least a dollar a gallon more,  and unless I have read bad information, (can't believe I'd get that on the internet?)  the diesel holds 2 quarts more than the gas.   Not saying its a huge difference, but a couple of bucks here and there adds up quick

• Like 1

So the price difference in fuel is the difference between premium (suggested fuel for the 6.2L) and regular. Oh wait, maybe not in your area ie. the world so that’s irrelevant. And no big deal that it holds two quarts more, you can do twice the mileage per oil change.

26 minutes ago, dw91 said:

So the price difference in fuel is the difference between premium (suggested fuel for the 6.2L) and regular. Oh wait, maybe not in your area ie. the world so that’s irrelevant. And no big deal that it holds two quarts more, you can do twice the mileage per oil change.

I guess redwngr will have to research prices in his area and decide for himself,  I'm not here to talk him or anybody else into or out of anything,  just tossing out things to think about,  oh, and for the record, I was comparing the duramax to the 5.3 because I don't think there is a comparison to the 6.2.  

It's just my 2 cents,  you don't have to agree...

Anyone seen fuel mileage listed on the sticker? Looking at them on auto trader it only has the mpg listed at 22/19. If that's the case I dont want it lol 

Edited by Mink

17 hours ago, Mink said:

Anyone seen fuel mileage listed on the sticker? Looking at them on auto trader it only has the mpg listed at 22/19. If that's the case I dont want it lol 

I believe for a 4x4 its something like 19/29 and a 2x4  22/33 or something like that.

DETROIT — The 2020 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 with the available, all-new 3.0L Duramax turbo-diesel engine delivers an EPA-estimated 33 mpg highway and 23 city in rear-wheel-drive models. EPA-estimated fuel economy for four-wheel drive models is 29 mpg highway/23 city.

https://media.chevrolet.com/media/us/en/chevrolet/home.detail.html/content/Pages/news/us/en/2019/jul/0725-silverado.html

18 hours ago, redwngr said:

DETROIT — The 2020 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 with the available, all-new 3.0L Duramax turbo-diesel engine delivers an EPA-estimated 33 mpg highway and 23 city in rear-wheel-drive models. EPA-estimated fuel economy for four-wheel drive models is 29 mpg highway/23 city.

https://media.chevrolet.com/media/us/en/chevrolet/home.detail.html/content/Pages/news/us/en/2019/jul/0725-silverado.html

That's right. I guess autotrader doesn't have the mpg for up for the new diesel yet. 

I have one on order, hopefully I see the sticker for myself this week. 

53 minutes ago, Mink said:

That's right. I guess autotrader doesn't have the mpg for up for the new diesel yet. 

I have one on order, hopefully I see the sticker for myself this week. 

Found link to EPA data for chev and gmc,  both 2 and 4wd :

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/pdfs/guides/FEG2020.pdf

Numbers are      combined  city/hwy

2wd chev  3.0L, 6cyl     27  23/33 

4wd chev 3.0L,  6cyl     25  23/29

2wd gmc 3.0L,  6cyl     26  23/30

4wd gmc  3.0L, 6cyl     24  22/26

On 9/8/2019 at 7:38 PM, wizard4878 said:

thats great,  diesel here is always at least a dollar a gallon more,  and unless I have read bad information, (can't believe I'd get that on the internet?)  the diesel holds 2 quarts more than the gas.   Not saying its a huge difference, but a couple of bucks here and there adds up quick

about .20 difference around Dallas area.  Seems like Premium runs more than diesel.

I driven my share of diesel trucks, all before the low sulfur change. Their mileage and durability was incredible. My brother and nephew continue for awhile. They weren’t as reliable after the changes. I read here that sometimes you can’t stop driving when you want to because of regen. Even in the light duty diesel. That alone would deter me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk