Paint Flaking and Chevy Won't Help

I have a 2014 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT with just over 62,000 miles. I recently noticed the paint was flaking along the rear window on the passenger side. I appllied a bit of touch-up paint to try and keep it from flaking more. Didn't help as more came off. I saw the same thing was happening along the rear window on the drivers side. I put touch-up paint in that area also, and it seemed to help a bit. Yesterday I was checking the rear passenger door and it was really flaking bad. The picture was taken yesterday. You can see how it has been touched-up and flaked more.

I talked with a service manager at a local Chevy dealer who was trying to help. He sent pictures and information to GM. He said the response from GM was basically I'm out of luck as the warranty was up at 3/36. It's terrible that they won't back their product when it's going bad in an area that shouldn't. I understand not doing anything if the issue is do to rock chips. But this is far from rock chips. To me it's poor quality. Now to fix it, I need to take the truck to my body shop and have it painted, so it doesn't look like you know what. That's about $1,000 out of my pocket.

After spending over $40,000 on a pickup that's supposed to be "built like a rock" that barely makes it 5 years for significant paint work, it makes me think seriously about buying another Chevrolet or GM product. But I don't think they really care about this

FLAKING PAINT.jpg

The overall quality, thickness and application of paint on GM trucks has taken a big dive since the water based colours came into play. It is very thin and very fragile. My 2010 peeled around the wheel well by 2014 with no gravel roads travelled. The truck was 6 months out of my Symtech paint warranty and Symtech went good on it. Had the box repainted and was set to keep the truck. Then about 6 months later I noticed a paint bubble above the windshield at traded it in right away. I am not repainting a 4 year old truck that is garage parked and driven exclusively on paved surfaces. It sucks my guy, but its the nature of today's automakers, they cut every corner they possibly can and charge you as much as possible. 

You are going to have a vehicle payment the rest of your life, whether you trade them in every few years, or try to hang onto one for 10 years. If your not making payments on a new one, your paying for transmissions and paint jobs it would seem. No different with Ford or Dodge, see a lot of flakey newish trucks running around up here in Canada sadly.  

At least yours is a 2014. I have paint chipping on the edge of my hood (windshield side so not rock chips) on my 2017. It looks like the aluminum is starting to oxidize already. Pretty crazy for a truck that isn't even 3 years old. I have 41k miles on it so I received the same response. I've been a loyal GM customer, but after this and the rust issues on my previous Yukon XL the Ford Raptor is looking pretty nice!

My stepson's truck had the exact same issue a year or so ago.  The local dealer offered to split the cost of the repair.  Now its doing it on the other side of the truck.  He hasn't gone back to see if they'll doo the same thing this time.  It's too bad they have to do everything to minimum standards.

• 3 weeks later...

You got chips? Hood is a different matter, but ever wonder how some are on door or rear quarter panels? Saw many of them being made in a local chain supermarket parking lot with shade tree islands..

Now I have a good reason not to park near any curbs or places where mindless lawn cutters are running around with 200 mph leaf/grass blowers. They were blowing, dirt, grass, small gravel by the curbs and asphalt against the sides of cars parked nearby. I saw that and got the helloutta there and parked in the open. Sure enough dark colored cars that got blasted had tiny chips in doors and fenders going down to the primer. SOBs.