Changed my 8 spd trans filter today

2017 All Terrain 6.2 8 spd 50km / 30k 

Pan came off easy no need to drop exhaust  just go slow and maneuver pan so as not to hit the solenoids etc 

Surprised to find no junk in pan !! Some fines on magnets but very clean!!  Cut openfilter some metal shavings in it but not much 

only problem was how to fill trans  one was is to pump in thru the pan bolt you check the level with or what I did was pull the rubber plug out of the original dipstick tune hole on Pass side of trans it’s still there just a expansion plug in hole behind the heat shield. Used a long hose and funnel from top Like  old dipstick to fill. Then checked level as per GM procedure using the pan bolt / dipstick Pics are before I cleaned pan / magnets 

6ED4B0E9-3ECF-4830-9CBB-6B298E7A34AA.jpeg

08211AF6-1C59-4889-B8B8-9CDCC197DFB1.jpeg

Edited by CDNSS
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, CadillacLuke24 said:

Looks good man, that's about what mine looks like after the 35k mark. I agree, no need to drop the exhaust, with some deft maneuvering it can come off with no additional part removal. 

Yes I really expected more trash based on earlier GM trans I’ve changed filter on st same mileage. Especially with all the issues some have with trans I have had no issues except I time 3 months ago I thought I had the shudder never happened again until last week again so today dealer did  the complete flush me on warranty  that’s why I changed filter Monday 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, tyler.frost92 said:

Good to know the Camaro is really tight to get at the plug where old dipstick went into case so that’s nice to have

truck alot more room to access plug just used a hose and funnel to fill 

2 hours ago, CDNSS said:

Yes I really expected more trash based on earlier GM trans I’ve changed filter on st same mileage. Especially with all the issues some have with trans I have had no issues except I time 3 months ago I thought I had the shudder never happened again until last week again so today dealer did  the complete flush me on warranty  that’s why I changed filter Monday 

Yup...You had the nickle size area on the felt from inside the filter with 1/2 dozen of metal flakes?  Yup...that is about what they look like...Just change the fluid from this point on.  The 8L90's while they have their quarks they are ROBUST and LOVE THE INPUT OF TORQUE the more the better..the hotter the better they love it and can handle it!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I ended up buying one. It looks like it attaches to one of the transmission bolts. You need an M8 x 1.25 nut to fasten it to the exposed threads of the bolt. However, I couldn't get it to fit my 2018 no matter how I positioned it. Figures too since I spent time painting it. Oh well, it's actually pretty easy to fill the transmission from the engine bay using a funnel and long hose. 

• 3 months later...