Recall - Vacuum Pump May Decrease Power Brake Assist

27 minutes ago, mikeyk101 said:

Not sure why yours wouldnt be included in the recall. As far as replacement of the brake booster, it was supposed to be for all 2015-2018 Silverados and Sierras at no charge as far as I was aware. It is Special Coverage N182202780 and is covered under this special warranty for 10 years/ 150,000 miles. 

Interesting, thanks. I did put in my VIN in their recall and it said no recalls were found on my truck.  I'll consult with my local dealer.

9 hours ago, Robopie said:

Interesting, thanks. I did put in my VIN in their recall and it said no recalls were found on my truck.  I'll consult with my local dealer.

Did you buy the truck used? If so, the previous owner took care of the initial recall. That would be why there are no recalls listed. As far as the recall, it was just flashing the software to update the pump operation with the false hope that this would solve the problem. In my case, the problem actually happened after the software flash. The Specual Coverage isn't a recall per se but is offering extended coverage to that component in case of a failure. The dealership won't do any fixes unless there is a problem. But if the problem happens, you should be GTG.

21 hours ago, Robopie said:

There were two recalls. The original was to replace the pump with a newer design. That got problematic for them so the second was to flash the ABS system to fool the system. No idea how that works so don't ask...me anyway.  

This issue was the screen in the pump was very fine and plugged under certain oil maintenance routines. Pump uses oil to create the vacuum. No oil, low/no vacuum. 

I've had neither done and at 155K miles brakes are mint BUT I'm an oil maintenance fanatic. Or perhaps lunatic...I forget.

Replacement pump has a 'looser' screen and a slightly different impeller design that needs less oil and gets more oil. IF mine ever gives up I'll replace it with the newer style. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, mikeyk101 said:

Did you buy the truck used? If so, the previous owner took care of the initial recall. That would be why there are no recalls listed. As far as the recall, it was just flashing the software to update the pump operation with the false hope that this would solve the problem. In my case, the problem actually happened after the software flash. The Specual Coverage isn't a recall per se but is offering extended coverage to that component in case of a failure. The dealership won't do any fixes unless there is a problem. But if the problem happens, you should be GTG.

2 hours ago, Grumpy Bear said:

There were two recalls. The original was to replace the pump with a newer design. That got problematic for them so the second was to flash the ABS system to fool the system. No idea how that works so don't ask...me anyway.  

This issue was the screen in the pump was very fine and plugged under certain oil maintenance routines. Pump uses oil to create the vacuum. No oil, low/no vacuum. 

I've had neither done and at 155K miles brakes are mint BUT I'm an oil maintenance fanatic. Or perhaps lunatic...I forget.

Replacement pump has a 'looser' screen and a slightly different impeller design that needs less oil and gets more oil. IF mine ever gives up I'll replace it with the newer style. 

I am original owner and you both are right.  I forgot that this was taken to the shop before.  I spoke with the local dealer and turns out that my truck was serviced for it back in Sept 2019 with a software flash. They won't check for free, I have to pay a $150 diagnostic fee, but will not be charged it if problem is there.  I'm definitely feeling symptoms of this problem so it should be covered under the service bulletin.  It'll be in the shop next week.   Also, thanks for the more detailed explanation of what the issue could be from.  My truck only has 65k.  

• Like 1

On 6/8/2022 at 5:32 AM, Grumpy Bear said:

so can one get away with gutting the screen completly?

On 6/8/2022 at 10:40 AM, Robopie said:

I am original owner and you both are right.  I forgot that this was taken to the shop before.  I spoke with the local dealer and turns out that my truck was serviced for it back in Sept 2019 with a software flash. They won't check for free, I have to pay a $150 diagnostic fee, but will not be charged it if problem is there.  I'm definitely feeling symptoms of this problem so it should be covered under the service bulletin.  It'll be in the shop next week.   Also, thanks for the more detailed explanation of what the issue could be from.  My truck only has 65k.  

The pump TSB tells the Tech to look for engine oil in the vacuum line.  If no oil is found they should replace the pump, if oil is found they are supposed to replace the pump and associated parts.  I attached a copy of that PIT, as well as the Recall about reprogramming the ECBM (there may be a later revisions of both).

PIT5361D Brake Pump.pdf RCSB-19V645-6988 Brake Effort.pdf

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, sk said:

The pump TSB tells the Tech to look for engine oil in the vacuum line.  If no oil is found they should replace the pump, if oil is found they are supposed to replace the pump and associated parts.  I attached a copy of that PIT, as well as the Recall about reprogramming the ECBM (there may be a later revisions of both).

PIT5361D Brake Pump.pdf 102.06 kB · 0 downloads RCSB-19V645-6988 Brake Effort.pdf 238.13 kB · 0 downloads

Is there a way for me to check for myself before I drop it off?  

18 hours ago, pokismoki said:

so can one get away with gutting the screen completly?

Screen is a filter of sorts, right? Filter keeps debris from scoring the sealing area. Better idea is perhaps to use the newer pump IF your having issues and preventatively, change oil a bit more often. The debris collected in the screen are degradation products and less so wear metals. 

Every motor on earth operates in a unique environment if you think about it. The owner/operator makes this true. So generic OCI recommendations and OLM instruments that do not SAMPLE oil are based on a MEDIAN experience that may or may not suit your particular unit. 

What's best is based more factually on running a couple of UOA's and spot checking now and again. A second method is just use a really SHORT OCI. 2 to 3K type of short. Does run the risk of masking operational and maintenance issues but it is effective. 

You will hear anecdotal evidence from dozens of individuals saying, "I've run XYZ oil on 15K OCI's and never had an issue". They won't be lying. But remember than a MEDIAN is the point where exactly one half of all data points are separated. Half failures, half successes. So in reality such evidence is literally a flip of the coin. 😉 

When an OEM sets an OLM value they know that median, look at the distribution of all data and pick a point where they feel they can absorb the pain of warranty work most fiscally efficient. They do not want it to last forever but they do not want to go broke repairing either. 

Hope I've given enough information to give you an honest chance at an informed choice. :driving:

• Like 1

Update for my Sierra - dropped it off at the local Chevy dealer (since my GMC dealer is 1+ hr away).  They diagnosed the issue and are replacing the vacuum pump and belt at no charge for me. 

edit: truck is fixed and feels great!

Edited by Robopie
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
On 9/14/2019 at 10:35 AM, 1SLOW1500 said:

I know all that however that is in the service bulletin. And a reason to check and replace booster. And why there was lawsuit filed on this. The claim was oil from a failed pump destroyed the booster and it was a safety concern.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I am experiencing this exact scenario.  Do you happen to have any examples I can present to the dealership.  They are replacing the Vacuum Pump for the second time (under the recall warranty, again)  yet, this time my Booster has oil in it and they are charging me to replace the Brake booster and the Master Cylinder.  It obvious this is a cause and effect thing.

Brake Drag --- Booster and Master Cylinder have an internal failure.

• Like 1

On 10/24/2019 at 3:58 PM, Grumpy Bear said:

This is the most useful thing I've heard on this site. Great stuff and THANKS!

I'm going to buy the pump out of pocket and pay my shop to install it and leave my ABS alone. Should they pay? Yes! BUT brakes are more important to me than getting my way. All I needed was the TRUTH. Thanks for giving me that. Now...that wasn't so hard, was it?

In the end I did nothing and now at over 175K is works flawlessly. Still have the OEM original pump.