Recall - Vacuum Pump May Decrease Power Brake Assist

1 hour ago, njk4o5 said:

so are they replacing the pump or just tuning it?

Both. On the recall it is tune. if there is further issues and damage replace. Golden question is How far they take it. Do you get the "new" pump and a tune or pump, tune, line booster and master? Do you need all that maybe not but hate to learn the answer the hard way. I still haven't done mine. Maybe next week. 

I'm lazy/busy so they come to my house and deal with it. 

Anybody with tuned trucks flashing back to stock before taking your truck in?  
No need. And not the part that changes. But is the reason on the heavy modes vehicles why I recommend customers get there own device. Then you have the option.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I had the recall done a month ago. The MyChevrolet app still shows I require a recall. Is this my dealer being lazy and not transmitting the service record? Is it the strike delaying updates? How long does it usually take for maintenance history to show up in the app?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry Granit7, but new to this board and haven't figured how to private message or email here yet, but the answer to your question is simply I don't know. It seems to me it could be any of the reasons you mentioned. In my case, I wouldn't expect it to be uploaded this soon since I had it done late PM on Tuesday. I'll check tomorrow to see if it's been cleared and get back to you.

Regards,

jumpinjoe

I don't remember if I got this recall notice or not, but suppose I did. What should I do in my modified truck situation?

Magnuson TVS 1900 Supercharger, methanol, and a tune. Should I flash back to stock while at the dealer, have them do the part and tune, then reflash my supercharger tune back onto the truck? I ask because it is possible to have a dealership update your tune and then you can reinstall your old supercharger tune through HP Tuners or an AutoCal.

Mileguru, I think for sure I would flash back to stock for a couple reasons. You already mentioned a couple important ones, but the one I'm most concerned about is that some dealers are getting more and more conscience of these aftermarket flashes and calling foul. I've heard horror stories of cancelling warranties, causing glitches then claiming it was your reflash, etc. Now with an '06 that may not even be a consideration, but I just can't say for sure. I'm not sure but don't think the 06's were involved in this particular recall. You might want to double check.

Oh hell, sorry 'bout that. I saw the '06 Sierra 5.3 in your profile and completely missed the '17 6.2. No doubt it's in the recall.

In my opinion, I simply wouldn't take the chance. Flash it back to stock, take it in and get the recall done if it's required, then go home and do your reflash. Doing that you win both ways.

Regards,

jumpinjoe

6 hours ago, Jacoby said:

Anybody with tuned trucks flashing back to stock before taking your truck in?  

i really don't know a lot about these reflashes since I'm not particularly up on high tech. Fact is I still have a hard time just spelling 'IBM'. But from what I do understand, I wouldn't take the chance.

Flash it back to stock, get the recall done, then reflash. It's a win/win for you with no practical way of getting hurt.

Regards,

jumpinjoe

Guys, I'm new here but more than willing to offer the help I can where I have experience, but this high tech stuff just ain't my forte'. I barely get by with a little email, and an occasional call on a cell phone. You young guns who grew up with this stuff really have no idea just how hard some of this comes to us a little older. I still have a hard time spelling 'IBM'.

I was born back when there were still everyday cars on the road that were cranked by hand out front of the radiator. When you could stuff a flat tire with grass/straw from a field on the side of the road and make it on into town. Even before B/W TV was available to the general public. We had a great big ol' RCA wooden boxed radio that on Saturday nights daddy would run a long wire out to the truck battery so we could all listen to the Grand Ol' Opry. And I still can't set the clock on a VCR. Just suffice it to say that I grew up so far out in the country, that when I wanted to go hunting I had to go TOWARDS town.

So, when I say anything regarding high tech stuff like reflash, I do know what it means, but not a clue as to how to do it, or how volatile it might be at your dealer. And it's because of my limited knowledge in the field that I always err on the side of caution and suggest the safest way to me, even if it might be something completely understandable to someone else.

Didn't quite finish my engineering degree due to a little scrap going on over in Southeast Asia that I had to go straighten out, and had great job opportunities offered to me when I returned that made it worthwhile to go to work instead of back to school. But, I do have a pretty good background in mechanics, most mechanical things, designing, fabricating, circle track racing, breaking green horses and often being broken by green horses. I've often spent most of my pocket money on hard liquor, good country music, and chasing wild women ...... most all the rest I threw away foolishly.

So call on me anytime you think I might be able to help and if I can I'll jump in with both feet. So far I've really enjoyed reading a lot of the topics in this forum, but I'm still having a little issue here and there either replying or answering messages. Give me a little while and maybe I'll get the hang of it. And yeh, I have to go back and edit often. I've got to become a better poof reader!

Best regards,

jumpinjoe

PS: Have absolutely no idea why I first wrote 'Far East'......... Duhh!  I sometimes type a little faster than I think.

Edited by jumpinjoe
to correct terminology
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't remember if I got this recall notice or not, but suppose I did. What should I do in my modified truck situation?
Magnuson TVS 1900 Supercharger, methanol, and a tune. Should I flash back to stock while at the dealer, have them do the part and tune, then reflash my supercharger tune back onto the truck? I ask because it is possible to have a dealership update your tune and then you can reinstall your old supercharger tune through HP Tuners or an AutoCal.

I don’t think it will matter. They are gonna see your super charger when they pop the hood. If they’re cool, you’ll get by. Otherwise, if they are warranty Natzi’s, your gonna get a hard time.

So let me get this straight. I still need to go have recall done. Which I'm doing next week. If vacuum pump fails after recall and would mess up break booster and what not ,it is still covered under special warranty.? Pump and everything it messes up correct?

I don’t think it will matter. They are gonna see your super charger when they pop the hood. If they’re cool, you’ll get by. Otherwise, if they are warranty Natzi’s, your gonna get a hard time.

Toy will get the flash either way. First the update has nothing at all to do with tune it is a different control module all together. 2nd they get paid to service the vehicle and as it is a preapproved service recall all they have to do is get the vin and say they did it. So they want to do it. If and it will not but if it affects your tune they will say it is on you as it is and we all k ow that. This again is why I say have a device and your tune saved. Then you can simply thank the man pay nothing and int he parking lot....read,save, write. Then drive off.
Maybe at low boost you could idle out of service bay but you are not driving home un tuned. This is why I say the new "keys" to the truck are in the software so save file on thump drive and reccomend owning a device.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk