Recall - Vacuum Pump May Decrease Power Brake Assist

15 minutes ago, JimCost2014 said:

they extended the mileage on the extended warranty to 60000 miles I believe.

Make sure you tell them the brake pedal is "very hard" to depress at times, and how loud the pump has become.

warranty on them for 6 years from in service date the of truck or 72,000 miles

I posted this on another thread but wanted people to know what my dealership told me when I brought my 2014 gmc for recall. They said that that vacuum pump part number 12669488 is being replaced by a new pump. Part# 12696313. They quoted me over $600 to replace pump. I brought truck home and said I would do it myself. I was able to order this new pump part # from an online GM dealership out of North Carolina. Still waiting for it. But it appears to be a new part as I could only find it from GM dealerships. Amazon or rock auto didn’t have this part only the superseded part. I’ll post a pick of the new pump when I get it. I have no clue what the difference between 12669488 and 12696313 is. I found one on eBay from a dealership and they both appear exactly the same from the pics. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Darkwolf7 said:

I posted this on another thread but wanted people to know what my dealership told me when I brought my 2014 gmc for recall. They said that that vacuum pump part number 12669488 is being replaced by a new pump. Part# 12696313. They quoted me over $600 to replace pump. I brought truck home and said I would do it myself. I was able to order this new pump part # from an online GM dealership out of North Carolina. Still waiting for it. But it appears to be a new part as I could only find it from GM dealerships. Amazon or rock auto didn’t have this part only the superseded part. I’ll post a pick of the new pump when I get it. I have no clue what the difference between 12669488 and 12696313 is. I found one on eBay from a dealership and they both appear exactly the same from the pics. 

Looking forward to the pics of this new part number.  For reference below is my faulty original compared to the 12669488.  

20190917_114021.jpg

• Like 1

On 9/17/2019 at 8:05 AM, parthery said:

Anyone had any luck getting reimbursed?

I had this exact issue with my '17 back in July.  GM agreed that there was an issue (they had a special coverage at the time) and that the fix was to replace the vacuum pump.  I had to pay for it ($100 on my extended warranty) as I was outside the special coverage.

GM now hiding behind an "it's not the same thing" excuse...I've escalated my case but may have no choice but to file a complaint with NHTSA.

I picked up my check today. I had an independent shop do the work with me supplying the part. (Pump, brake booster, line, and master cylinder). Total cost and reimbursement was $823 and some change. Because I used and independent shop there were a few hoops to jump through, but they did reimburse me. 

23 hours ago, Darkwolf7 said:

so you took it in for the recall and instead of doing the recall they said you need a new pump, which you have to pay for? Was your pump bad to begin with?

If i take mine in i just want them to do the recall job, not try to sell me on service and part replacements. Mine has no issues as of now.

No. My brakes went stiff on me twice. But I only brought it in for the recall. I was planning on getting the part and doing the pump change myself and only getting the reprogram done at dealership. They tested the pump and confirmed what I already knew,That the pump was starting to fail. In fact they didn’t want to let me take the truck home because of the bad pump. They made a note on my paperwork that the truck was unsafe to drive but returned to customer. The funny thing is that the dealerships are admitting that the problem is unsafe yet there is no recall to fix it. 

43 minutes ago, Darkwolf7 said:

No. My brakes went stiff on me twice. But I only brought it in for the recall. I was planning on getting the part and doing the pump change myself and only getting the reprogram done at dealership. They tested the pump and confirmed what I already knew,That the pump was starting to fail. In fact they didn’t want to let me take the truck home because of the bad pump. They made a note on my paperwork that the truck was unsafe to drive but returned to customer. The funny thing is that the dealerships are admitting that the problem is unsafe yet there is no recall to fix it. 

Right, it almost seems like a bait and switch deal where they want you to come in for the free fix but they know most of the pumps will be bad and they scare you with the unsafe to drive part to get them to fix it, when in fact it should be a recall for sure.

Bunch of BS!