Recall - Vacuum Pump May Decrease Power Brake Assist

55 minutes ago, Darkwolf7 said:

12696313 outwardly appears the same as 12669488. Maybe GM changed something internal. I do not know. I installed this part last night on my truck and braking is better now. But I still had the original faulty part from the 2014 model. 

Interesting, thanks for taking the time to post the info.  Same manufacturer too.  I'm just hoping that GM makes things right, really a serious safety issue.  And a massive expense for those unable to do the repair themselves and don't fall within the constraints of the TSB

1 hour ago, Darkwolf7 said:

Yes. And all the old pumps will fail. Quote was almost $700 to fix. And if you have over the 70000 miles you will be paying. Mine started to fail around the 90000 mile mark. 

75kish mine really started to give out.  Changed at 78500. 

1 hour ago, ndrmills said:

Curious how they think a software fix will fix a failing mechanical pump..???? Sounds a bit like a hoax...….

Don't think it will fix the root cause, but should help to avoid low speed accidents by allowing the ABS modulator to kick in sooner and provide more braking with the same pedal force when vacuum is too low.  At least that's what I think this recall SW is doing.

On 9/24/2019 at 7:03 PM, Slvijoe said:

After having the reprogramming done on my 17 Silverado, I do feel that my brakes feel much better. 

Whatever they did it makes a difference. 

?

Do you know if they checked the vac pressure?  Only way it should feel different is if the pump is on the way out... 

Anyone have battery problems after the update for the recall?  I took my 2016 Silverado in last Friday to have the Recall and a Radio Software update done.  Up until that point, I had never had a single issue with the battery or starting.  Over the weekend, the whole thing went to crap.  The radio keeps blinking in and out, and the truck won't start unless it is jumped.  I stopped at 3 Parts Places and had the battery tested, and all 3 said it tested OK, but needed charged.  I had also left it overnight on a 2 Amp Trickle Charge and this morning it still wouldn't start.  

If anyone has any ideas, please let me know.

Parry

• 3 weeks later...

So I had the reprogramming done on my 2017 Suburban on 9/21/2019 and had an incident happen last week where I was in a drive thru and applying pressure to the brake pedal the vehicle was still not stopping.  There was a vibration in the pedal and a noise noted as I had the window open.  I was able to get the vehicle out of the drive thru and to an open parking lot.  I turned the vehicle off and back on and that seem to fix the problem.  Took to the dealership and they claimed they had never seen this before.  No error codes and could not be reproduced.

So....bottom line.....the fix that GM issued did NOT fix the problem.  What a waste of time for everyone plus the safety issues that result for the driver, passengers and everyone else.

On 9/17/2019 at 1:05 PM, 15 Z71 said:

My vacuum pump ticks like an old model "A" running. My breaks work fine but hate how it sounds. My friends 2018 is super quiet. You cant even hear his running next to mine. Any chance they would replace pump?

Had mine replaced with new style pump.  Unfortunately it still makes the same tick occasionally, though not quite as frequently.

Special coverage on this pump has been updated!!! 10 years 150,000 miles.

#N182202780-01: Special Coverage - Brake Assist Decreased Due to Vacuum Loss - (Oct 11, 2019)

Release Date: October 2019

Revision: 01

Revision Description: This bulletin is being revised to update the models and extend the coverage period. Please discard all previous copies of bulletin N182202780

What We Have Done:General Motors is providing you with the additional special coverage outlined in this letter for the condition described above in the interests of customer satisfaction. If this condition occurs on your 2014 – 2018 model year GM vehicle within 10 years of the date your vehicle was originally placed in service or 150,000 miles (240,000 km), whichever occurs first, the condition will be repaired for you at no charge. Diagnosis or repair for conditions other than the condition described above is not covered under this special coverage program. If you were previously notified regarding this condition, please note that we have expanded the coverage.

Reimbursement:If you have already paid for repairs for the condition described in this letter, please complete the enclosed reimbursement form and present it to your dealer with all required documents. Working with your dealer will expedite your request, however, if this is not convenient, you may mail the completed reimbursement form and all required documents to Reimbursement Department, PO Box 33170, Detroit, MI 48232-5170. The completed form and required documents must be presented to your dealer or received by the Reimbursement Department by November 30, 2020, unless state law specifies a longer reimbursement period.

• Like 1

There is a recall to reprogram the abs module:

"Dealers will reprogram the electronic brake control module with a new calibration that will improve how the system utilizes the hydraulic brake boost assist function when vacuum assist is depleted."

There is also a special warranty coverage on the mechanical vacuum pump for the brake booster, 10 years 150,000 miles