CHEVROLET SILVERADO 2500 2014-2018
CHEVROLET SILVERADO 3500 2014-2018
CHEVROLET SUBURBAN 2015-2018
CHEVROLET TAHOE 2015-2018
GMC SIERRA 1500 2014-2018
GMC SIERRA 2500 2014-2018
GMC SIERRA 3500 2014-2018
GMC YUKON 2015-2018

By reading through enough of the attachments, this recall is going to give you more hydraulic brake boost (not through vacuum) when the mechanical vacuum pump is struggling to keep up, but has not yet under performed enough to show a low vacuum pressure fault.

I didn't realize the system had this capability, but seems to me like they are using the ABS solenoids to increase brake boost when the mechanical vacuum pump doesn't have enough boost.

The way I read it, this recall does not directly address the cause of the failing vacuum pumps (claimed to be sludge buildup on oil inlet screen), instead it just attempts to keep the stiff pedal situation from sneaking up on drivers and causing an accident.

I think you will find people will be cleaning and rebuilding the pumps in the future. Also doing line clearing to judge the health of the pump.

I know GM will not switch over, however the electric pumps found on the Corvette seem a better option.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zsk said:

OK, it says they will reprogram the electronics.  Does that really fix the problem?

Thanks for posting Retired Bob

Maybe a little and it’s certainly wayyyyy cheaper for GM to try this than replacing pumps.  Read the last paragraph of this article. 

Check out this article from USA TODAY:

GM issues recall of 3.4 million pickup trucks, SUVs to fix brake problem

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2019/09/11/gm-recall-chevrolet-gmc-cadillac-suvs-recalled-brake-issues/2284370001/

Edited by paumat
Add USA Today link

That would explain why on Sat I had a front end alignment after I changed the front Tie Rods the service advisor told me their was a safety recall on brakes for reprogramming?  I was planning to replace the dang vacuum pump in couple months...hmmm...now it's reprogramming?  I don't know probably will change it out and get the reprogramming....LOL  It's gotten silly folks!

The reprogramming is the cheapest way for GM to be the 'Good Guy."  GM will have a lawsuit 'kitty' put aside when folks gets killed for brake failures and pay out from that.  This method is less expensive than doing the right thing. 

It's no different than the drug companies when  they come out with a new wonder drug.  They put $500,000,000 or more aside to cover lawsuits that we see advertised by the attorneys on TV but they still make a couple billion dollars profit just the same.  This is similar to GM's solution.

Edited by Rolling Thunder
  • Like 2

Just checked my app and saw I'm on the lucky list for affected VINs.  Taking it in for the reprogram on Tuesday, a free inspection, free tire rotation, free coffee, and other free stuff I'll wrangle from the dealer.  With my maintenance schedule I'm not overly concerned with a failure, but mostly its a good excuse for me to get that free rotation.

• Like 2

How is this reprogramming done? Wondering if it will affect aftermarket tunes for those of us that don’t have handhelds to flash back and forth.
Yes it can cause issues. Best to own a device let the dealer flash in and then read that tune and save as stock file and then compare to your custom tune and copy all changes.
Or just download this new update from gm and do it all from home. Your call.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Just checked my app and saw I'm on the lucky list for affected VINs.  Taking it in for the reprogram on Tuesday, a free inspection, free tire rotation, free coffee, and other free stuff I'll wrangle from the dealer.  With my maintenance schedule I'm not overly concerned with a failure, but mostly its a good excuse for me to get that free rotation.

Discount Tire does it for free [emoji6]