Adding Rear camera Above Bed

Hi FiatDale,

OK, I've been following your thread but am now just a tad confused.

If I read you right, in order to do this addition you need the following parts:

1- Lamp With Camera

2- Complete spoiler

3- Front Coax

Any other parts?

Questions:

Is the coax a simple 2 conductor wire with a shield and inner conductor?

Is it possible to cut off the GMC connectors and make your own cable with BNC connectors?

For the insight of those who want to emulate your project, may I ask you to post individual photos of the components with their part numbers and approximate prices?

This looks like it ends up being a rather expensive project.

Thanks, Steve

The spoiler is definitely not $200. Used on eBay with camera are around $300. List from GM is $430. If you found or that cheap, chances are it’s a 3rd brake light without camera. As I believe GM has fixed them so they don’t leak anymore, so that’s something you’ll risk with a used one. GM isn’t going to warranty it if it didn’t come on the truck new. You need the mirror, coax cable and spoiler with camera.

Rearview Camera:
3rd Brake w/ Cam: 84487008
Rearview mirror screen: 13532977
Coax cable: 84335461

It’s a simple coax, but without the connectors you are not going to make your own dot rely on splicing, I don’t care what kind of wiring guru you are, do it right. Especially when the cable only costs $30.

Ah my bad. That’s JUST the lamp. Not spoiler. The deal is the harness on just the light is not long enough to extend into the cab, it needs the extension which is tied into the 3rd brake light harness which brings it inside. The coax going from the mirror to camera is not long enough to reach just the plug on the camera / lamp, it needs that extension which is NOT sold separately, only with the complete spoiler assembly

2 hours ago, fightingmajor said:

You need the mirror too.

But yes, I'm hoping the guy posts a full post with pics and all part numbers.

In all honestly, it would be best to create a new post with all of those in it.

Also saw that spoiler part online last night for less than $200, but I'm not buying anything until I can see how easy or hard it is.

Fighting Major ..... I'm with you.

I'd like to see a parts description with part numbers and prices all in one place.

As for having to buy the entire spoiler .... there must be a work around.

What I'm hearing is that you first need to buy the light and camera assembly, then a new spoiler only for the cable.

$300 for the spoiler with a cable sounds absurd when I know I can make a cable. Connectors are just that ... only connectors.

Cutting off proprietary connectors and swapping them to BNC is no big deal.

Both male and female inline connectors are readily available for under $2 each. a short length of RG194 coax is under a $1

Steve

I don’t think either of you read what I’ve typed. Here is what you need:

Spoiler assembly with camera (black) 84515287
Mirror 13532977
Coax cable 84335461

You do NOT need to buy the PN I ACCIDENTALLY put for the camera, that PN was for just the lamp/camera assembly. It does not have the additional length harness to reach inside the cabin. This piece being on the roof and not wanting to slice thru the grommet and throw some cheap silicone on it in fear of leaks, I would suggest getting the spoiler assembly PN above WHICH COMES WITH THE LAMP AND CAMERA & ADDITIONAL LENGTH HARNESS. Maybe you’ll even get lucky and the clips will be tighter than before so it won’t do the spoiler pop we all experience.

You guys are making this way more difficult than it is. It’s 3 parts. Yes they’re pricey. Yes it’s cheaper to buy these options when built new. You want to save $20 by making your own coax cable and splicing off ends go right ahead. The lead off of the mirror is about 1”. Try not to screw that up on a $500+ mirror. If you’re already spending close to $800, what’s another $20 to make it as factory as possible with a pre terminated cable.

• Like 7

Thanks for clarifying and sounding like a pompous ass in the process.  Possibly had you just posted the parts and process you wouldn't get questions.  Please don't let us peasants take up your time king rearview mirror installer. Sorry for questioning your mistyped part numbers. I'm sure your servant will receive many lashes for the error on their part.

Thank you FiatDale for making this happen! I for one greatly appreciate your time and money spent to figure this out. I’m also following your thread in the HUD display, I may have to choose only one to do for now though do to the cost of each. Tough choice! 

thank ya!!!!

First off thank you FiatDale for the update and part numbers I’m ready to order and can’t wait to retrofit my 19 LTZ. Also following your HUD thread and want to do add that as well down the line but was wondering how hard is it to remove the spoiler? Did it involve removing inside headliner completely? Thanks again for all the info 

Edited by NICK19LTZ

I’ll do a write up, but it’s tricky to not screw up the headliner by putting a crease in it. Also, I use air tools which made things 10x easier because some of the 10mm are hard to get to with the headliner in your way.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1