Adding Rear camera Above Bed

I have the 19 1500 SLT with the rear tailgate camera, side mirror cameras and the trailering camera package for a camera on the back of the trailer. I have looked into adding the front camera, but I found out that the trailering camera port replaces the front camera, it isn’t possible to have both. I would love to have the camera above the bed in the rear backup light that is on the cab. I talked to GM, you can purchase the light with the camera for $350. I am wondering if the wires are already installed for the cameras, just unused. I also know that the software on the system would need to be updated. 

Has anyone added this camera? Or do any of you know if the wiring already installed?

image.jpg

Following!

I took pictures of the unused harnesses on top of the headliner when I put in an auto dim rear view mirror. If you can find out what plug the rear view camera uses, maybe we can figure out what those other unused plugs/harnesses are for.

Here is another diagram that shows the wire to the mirror. So with even more research I learned that camera is for the mirror only. So this should be easy to install. Need the mirror, wiring harness and camera. I assume you don’t need software update if it is all just in the mirror. 

6 minutes ago, Semedar said:

Plug #11 sure does look a lot like this one.. 

IMG_7950.jpg.1e8491d88c22a083b1507305eeaab87d.jpg

IMG_7949.jpg.5675895a2ab109ef06317cde9a836548.jpg

Yes it does! I need to go to the dealer this week. I’ll get a price on the rest of the parts, mirror and wiring harness. I think it’s doable. If I can order all the parts, I’ll make the attempt. Just not sure how long they will be on backorder.

Suspect I know why they are on backorder. Mine filled up with water pretty bad and needed to be replaced.

5A13542D-A2C0-426D-81BD-D093C69E1682.thumb.jpeg.31ee6bf5b8b810e1f66a80eae8f86cf2.jpeg

Side note...for 2020 this part has a second camera for the bedview mode. That one will be a hell of a lot harder to add on, if possible at all. Since the infotainment would need to be updated/ upgraded and who knows what else.

33 minutes ago, OnTheReel said:

Suspect I know why they are on backorder. Mine filled up with water pretty bad and needed to be replaced.

5A13542D-A2C0-426D-81BD-D093C69E1682.thumb.jpeg.31ee6bf5b8b810e1f66a80eae8f86cf2.jpeg

Side note...for 2020 this part has a second camera for the bedview mode. That one will be a hell of a lot harder to add on, if possible at all. Since the infotainment would need to be updated/ upgraded and who knows what else.

I don't suppose you can verify with us to see what's connected to you harness here ?

IMG_7949.jpg.5675895a2ab109ef06317cde9a836548.jpg

IMG_7950.jpg.1e8491d88c22a083b1507305eeaab87d.jpg

On 9/14/2019 at 10:19 AM, Boda1985 said:

I have the 19 1500 SLT with the rear tailgate camera, side mirror cameras and the trailering camera package for a camera on the back of the trailer. I have looked into adding the front camera, but I found out that the trailering camera port replaces the front camera, it isn’t possible to have both.

Anybody know if I can add the Side mirror cameras and the Front view camera to my SLT?  I've had other threads on this and nobody has been solid on it...  but I do have the mirrors already that look like there is room for the cameras...  how would I know if the wiring for the Front camera is in place?  Do I just need to go talk to my dealer?

I’ve got the mirror and brake light coming. Unfortunately with this strike it’s put a hold on these special order parts, so it may be a little bit until I get to installing and making a harness.

To the comment above, most dealers will say it’s not possible to add after the fact, so I’d save your breath. Either attempt it on your own with more research and then report back to them, or don’t try. Most dealers will not want to mess with trying to reprogram as they don’t know how.

• Like 1