Adding Rear camera Above Bed

42 minutes ago, FiatDale said:

I’ll do a write up, but it’s tricky to not screw up the headliner by putting a crease in it. Also, I use air tools which made things 10x easier because some of the 10mm are hard to get to with the headliner in your way.

You think the dealer would do it if I provide them the parts? Don't want to mess anything up and if they do, it's on the dealer! ?

4 hours ago, FiatDale said:

And I’m the pompous king? Here trying to help

He actually called you a pompous ass, but I like The Pompous King much better!!!

And it was a nice write up, we need more on the site, especially with pictures.

• Like 2

You think the dealer would do it if I provide them the parts? Don't want to mess anything up and if they do, it's on the dealer! [emoji28]

If they do, they’d charge it hourly at their shop rate of ~$95/hr. They would most likely do it all on book time, so if I had to guess they’d figure 4-5 hours. For that much in labor - you’ll be able to do it easily.

Dale,

Thanks for the write up and the correction on the shopping list.

You've done this group a big service.

What had confused me was the need for a camera/light and then the spoiler.

So, if I hear you correctly, the spoiler has the light, camera and then cable ... but you still need the extender cable.

My concern, as others have voiced, is our ability or lack there of to remove and reinstall the headliner without damaging it.

Are there instructions on line some place or did you just work your way through it?

Thanks again,

Steve

8 hours ago, FiatDale said:

If they do, they’d charge it hourly at their shop rate of ~$95/hr. They would most likely do it all on book time, so if I had to guess they’d figure 4-5 hours. For that much in labor - you’ll be able to do it easily.

You're real lucky if the local GM dealership only charges $95 and hour for labor.

My local shop gets $150.

At that rate, this is going to be a DIY job or not at all.

Steve

Some background, I do auto body by trade at a GM dealer here in Houston. I’m very well versed on these things and their assembly so you’ll have to forgive me when I say it’s easy, because I do this stuff everyday. By most DIY standards this is an easy job, it just may take you half a day so you’re careful. I will do a write up with pics soon.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Semedar said:

You think the dealer would do it if I provide them the parts? Don't want to mess anything up and if they do, it's on the dealer! ?

Regardless of price, $95 or $150 - no dealer would do this. I have never met a dealer that would take parts you bought and put them in your vehicle.   *if* you could even get them to agree to do the work, you would most certainly be required to buy the parts from them too....    but as has been mentioned tons of times in this forum - dealers do not want to put extra stuff in your vehicle... to much hassle on their end. Either get it at purchase time, or do the work yourself...  dealer is out of the picture at that point.

I would trust myself to do it over the dealer. They made a royal mess of my headliner.

Wear disposable gloves to keep everything clean...from what I’ve experienced and seen happen to others, the techs probably won’t!

• Like 1

On 11/16/2019 at 9:32 PM, Boda1985 said:

Thank you for all the information Dale! Very helpful. If others can’t figure it out from here, they shouldn’t be attempting it in the first place. 

On 11/16/2019 at 9:32 PM, Boda1985 said:

Thank you for all the information Dale! Very helpful. If others can’t figure it out from here, they shouldn’t be attempting it in the first place. 

Hi, I did install a mirror and camera in my 2014 SRX, parts taken from a wrecked AX4 model 2019, the camera P/N is 84510303 but it doesn't show individually, according to GM it's part of the complete spoiler assembly P/N 84517274 which cost a lot. I was lucky to find a AX4 at a local salvage auto parts shop.

The Mirror P/N is 13530414 and it is the second generation, it is drop in replacement to the existing and uses the same plug configuration, didn't had to modify anything, took five minutes to install

Fitting the camera was a nightmare, I made the setup very similar to the AX4, camera is fitted into the rear spoiler, so I had to remove my SRX spoiler and made a small cutting and glued the camera!

I used 4.5 meters RG316 Cable with male SMA connectors from both ends, had to replace the camera and mirror Farka connectors and used Female SMA connectors, the reason that I couldn't arrange Farka or SMB locally and didn't want to order it and wait...

I have checked the original cable and it is indeed 50 Ohm, the camera is receiving DC power over the same coaxial cable which is used by the camera to sends the video to the mirror perhaps in the form of high speed data, similar to a GPS antenna concept, video is crystal clear, no lag, has a superior night vision capability, no flickering, noise or vibration...it is superior by all means.

I was worried only about adjusting the camera horizontally, the mirror has features like adjust tilting, zooming as well as adjusting brightness level and it is bright enough in day time at the lowest brightness level.

Setup is straight forward, did not require to do any sort of programming, took about 3 hours to furnish the cable, install the camera on the spoiler and drop the cable, it works!

Best of luck to all

camera.jpg

mirror.jpg

day.jpg

night.jpg

Hazem,

Was dropping the entire headliner a must?

Did you have to remove the seats?

I looked at an A1 You Tube video and it looked like a nightmare.

Some of you guys are a lot more courageous than I.

This is a brand new truck to me and I'm worried about damaging the headliner.

Steve

Edited by Yoda2
spell check changed word

No Steve, you don't need to remove the headliner, pulling the coax above the headliner is quite simple but not easy for first timers, sorry didn't take photos throughout the installation process.

If you look above the mirror you'll see a gap above the headliner, this is the coax entry point, open any of the doors, remove the top of the black door seal you'll access the the gap above the headliner as well, so the pathway for the coax to the camera can be made either from the driver or the passenger side all the way to the camera, there are pillars on the way which you may need to carefully loosen or unclip in order to pass the coax, off course I'd wear clean  gloves for not getting the headliner dirty, also I know that there is airbag behind each pillar so I'd be very careful, Depending on the type of vehicle you have, if there is a rear spoiler you'll need to pass the coax through the rubber harness duct to pass the cable to the camera.

A Car electrician or those who install A/V equipment can make it for you in less than an hour,.

I hope you'll find this helpful

Hazem

Edited by hazem96