Finally received the Gibson cat-back exhaust (Part #: GPE-65692) after 2 weeks and had it installed a couple of days ago to replace my Magnaflow muffler. It’s a single-in, dual outlet stainless steel cat-back exhaust. Shop charged me a $100 install and they put 2 weld taps on each of the joints for when the clamps loosen over time. First start-up after install was loud, I mean it was barking. I was like, who the hell said Gibson exhausts were tame ?. It has a very rich deep tone to it. After driving it for a couple of days, the volume has mellowed quite a bit. Loving it.

I have experienced the GM Performance exhaust a few times and I will say the Gibson is a touch louder. The Gibson is also a bit faster, more responsive exhaust. It seems it’s tuned for low revs. The 6.2 engine is not a very high revving engine but with the Gibson, it sounds a bit like the engine is revving faster than it actually is. I didn’t get that sensation from the GM Performance exhaust.

Idle is dead silent, almost like engine off. There is very minimal drone on the highway. I actually don’t mind this. Just a little so you know it’s there. Diameter wise, it’s a little smaller than the GM Performance exhaust so not sure of any performance gains. I did it just for sound though.

I paid $495 including tax and free shipping for this. I did already have a 10% off coupon from RealTruck. The bang for your buck is quite astonishing. Most systems available for this truck cost 2x-3x as much. It’s still on sale for $508 on RealTruck (https://realtruck.com/p/gibson-exhaust-systems/v/gmc/sierra-1500/2019/). I have no regrets, one of the best purchases I’ve made so far on this truck.

As always, sound is very subjective so your mileage may vary but it’s hard to go wrong with a cat-back system for $500. Cold start-up below (didn’t quite capture as well as I would have liked). gibson_exhaust_pic.thumb.jpg.d79e3c40beeeaa78e2563b3786789ad0.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Leo001 said:

Just ordered the Gibson system, plan on a “driveway” install 

That's great. I think you will like it. One person install will probably not be easy but very doable. It took the installers quite a bit to adjust the pipes. This is usually the case with clamped exhausts. 

• 2 weeks later...

My son and I installed the Gibson system last night. We used a set of ramps, it gave enough clearance. It took about 2 hours, not difficult, but you are correct about lots of adjusting on a clamped  system. All in all, it went well, and sounds great

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Leo001 said:

My son and I installed the Gibson system last night. We used a set of ramps, it gave enough clearance. It took about 2 hours, not difficult, but you are correct about lots of adjusting on a clamped  system. All in all, it went well, and sounds great

That's awesome. Glad you are liking it. It quiets down a little over time, at least mine has. Not nearly as loud as when i first installed it. Still love it. Enjoy. 

3 hours ago, dan61psu said:

Not an exhaust pro so the question may be dumb....

What is the diff in Gibson vs Corsa or borla that drives the massive price point difference?  Put aside sound... what drives 500 vs 1200+ ?  

I don't know about Corsa but Borla uses t304 stainless steel which is the most rust-resistant stainless steel. It's lifetime is projected to be 10+ years. Next below the ladder is t409 stainless steel which is what the Gibson uses. It's lifetime is projected to be 8-10 years. Obviously t304 is more expensive compared to t409 but as to whether it's $700+ expensive only they can tell us. Different companies have different R&D budgets, so that also factors in.

Factory exhaust is made from t409 or some variation of the t400 series. t409 will last the life of your vehicle. t304 will outlast your vehicle. Personally, i don't need something that will outlast my vehicle, only something that has the same life-span as my vehicle.

There is also aluminized steel which is the least rust-resistant but you should stay away from that one if you can. 

• 2 weeks later...