Changing from halogen to LED headlights on LT, Custom, or WT trims

1 hour ago, TrkLegend said:

This is what I ordered, or what I took from his post. But I could be wrong. The description says it works for HD models as well.

https://www.gen5diy.com/collections/19-20-silverado-plug-play-harnesses/products/19-20-silverado-led-headlight-harness

Yep, that’s the one.  Seems like Chevy uses the same wiring harness for both the 1500 and HD models.   

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone, I installed my LED headlights on my 2020 Silverado HD Custom, I purchased my headlights from a guy outside ebay but he was offering the headlights on ebay originally, I order the harness from  gen5diy here is the link to order the harness https://www.gen5diy.com/collections/19-20-silverado-plug-play-harnesses/products/19-20-silverado-led-headlight-harness the only problem I found is that when you turn the signals does not turn off the day time running LED's like in the LTZ or the High Country ( but I think is not the relay is probably the configuration of the truck because it was not made for the Led's) But other than that they work great, I'm very happy with this upgrade to my truck.

How to do the install: I found a video from the guys at Frontier Truck Gear for how to remove the grill  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcHwBJZDTWI I did the installation in about an hour with the help of my brother

make sure to attach the relays to the body of the truck.

thumbnail_IMG_5250.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_5236.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_5230.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_5223.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_5222.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 4/24/2020 at 1:54 AM, ladin said:

Hi everyone, I installed my LED headlights on my 2020 Silverado HD Custom, I purchased my headlights from a guy outside ebay but he was offering the headlights on ebay originally, I order the harness from  gen5diy here is the link to order the harness https://www.gen5diy.com/collections/19-20-silverado-plug-play-harnesses/products/19-20-silverado-led-headlight-harness the only problem I found is that when you turn the signals does not turn off the day time running LED's like in the LTZ or the High Country ( but I think is not the relay is probably the configuration of the truck because it was not made for the Led's) But other than that they work great, I'm very happy with this upgrade to my truck.

How to do the install: I found a video from the guys at Frontier Truck Gear for how to remove the grill  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcHwBJZDTWI I did the installation in about an hour with the help of my brother

make sure to attach the relays to the body of the truck.

thumbnail_IMG_5250.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_5236.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_5230.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_5223.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_5222.jpg

Are you able to tell if there are any differences between the led lens vs the halogen lens? Wondering if I damaged a lens, if a lens off the other housing would be able to fit on, and I would save the old for spares.

I saw a video where guy installed bulbs thru wheel well, they just popped off wheel liner and accessed it from back....

Edited by Dunn

I bought the sealight laxmas L2 H11 and was skeptical....actually amazon recommended an upgrade to kit the guy posted a page or so back....$10 more, I installed them (super easy through wheel well)….I did low beams first as I didn't want to be out 2 sets if they had problems....now granted they have only been on few days but am totally happy with product if it lasts....beam is near identical to stock, no blinding other cars and light is more than enough for me, I am sure you can get better but its similar to 2019 RST that had factory LEDs and that's plenty for me.....so far so good....well worth $50, i could stand that dingy yellow light

not a light fanantic and wont be changing anything but headlights....taillights and blinkers are plenty for others to see and its not exactly a small inconspicuous vehicle, lol

Edited by Dunn
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/8/2020 at 9:16 PM, Dunn said:

I bought the sealight laxmas L2 H11 and was skeptical....actually amazon recommended an upgrade to kit the guy posted a page or so back....$10 more, I installed them (super easy through wheel well)….I did low beams first as I didn't want to be out 2 sets if they had problems....now granted they have only been on few days but am totally happy with product if it lasts....beam is near identical to stock, no blinding other cars and light is more than enough for me, I am sure you can get better but its similar to 2019 RST that had factory LEDs and that's plenty for me.....so far so good....well worth $50, i could stand that dingy yellow light

not a light fanantic and wont be changing anything but headlights....taillights and blinkers are plenty for others to see and its not exactly a small inconspicuous vehicle, lol

Can you give an update to your review of the Sealight Laxmas L2 LEDs? I bought the newest set of Sealight LEDs and I think they are too bright for how tall the headlights are on the 2020 HD.... and the driver's side seems like it is more focused than the passenger side for some reason. I'm think about returning them and getting the full 4 bulb set of Laxmas L2. Installation was much easier than I expected and I will have to post the pictures I took.

Thanks!

yeah I didn't drive up to a wall and check pattern or really get technical about it....the beam shoots about same as halogens just better brighter light and haven't been flashed by anyone....truck sits tall stock as you know so you will blind small car if you pull up behind them at stop light but nothing you can do about that....they have been working great and have no issues though I am sure if you wanna spend more money for even better LED they are out there.....its pretty much same as my 19 RST that had LED from factory so I am pleased as that's all I was really looking for.....these lights I believe are made for halogen replacements, as long as they last I will be happy camper.....I didn't want to change housings and all that.....I get no flickering, warnings on DIC and DRL work fine so

I haven't tested or used bunch of different LEDs in past so cant compare to anything cept my last 2019 silverado

• Like 1

I just see the pattern that was shining on my garage door while inside. I couldn't really check outside because my driveway slopes down from the door. I just wanted to see if they are still working good and also if any cars have flashed you with that LED model. The Sealight seems to have a good customer service presence on Amazon and they have a 2 year warranty from one comment. I am going to order the Laxmas L2 set of 4 now. Thanks for the update!

yeah no complaints bro....for the money and ease of installing one of best things I could have done

I also installed hi beams too but haven't really used them yet....

Edited by Dunn
  • Like 1

Pictures from when I changed the low beams the other day. The inner wheel liner is unscrewed with a T15 bit. I took out the front 3 on the edge and the front lower middle screw. This gave me plenty of room to get in there while having the tire turned out of the way. Rubber plug pulls out, turn the bulb to release, unplug it and plug in the replacement bulb. Reverse steps and enjoy!

IMG_20200707_1.jpg

Top hole is the low beam, stock halogen bulb

IMG_20200707_2.jpg

New LED light

IMG_20200707_3.jpg

Stock halogen light

IMG_20200707_4.jpg

Stock vs LED

IMG_20200707_5.jpg

I don't like that LED pattern and returning it for a different LED model. But I think the driver's side LED matched the halogen pattern. Going to test them again when I swap in the new LED model.

IMG_20200707_6.jpg

Rubber dust covers

IMG_20200707_7.jpg

Plenty of room to work with the wheel liner pulled back and tire turned. Putting the wheel liner back into the plastic fender flare took longer than swapping the light out of the socket.

IMG_20200707_8.jpg

Driver's side light access

IMG_20200707_9.jpg

Aftermarket LED light installed

IMG_20200707_10.jpg

Edited by SkidooSteve12
  • Like 1