Changing from halogen to LED headlights on LT, Custom, or WT trims

I'm still very surprised that my LT trim 2020 2500HD did not come with LED headlights and tail lights. I asked my dealer about them and he said it would cost $1100 per side to replace the whole headlight socket! So I'm going to just replace the halogen bulbs with LED bulbs like I did on my 2013 Silverado 1500 which I was very happy with. I found this youtube video showing that someone already made the switch on a 2020 Custom 2500HD and he provided me with the link to the LED bulbs he used. (If you are on this forum and made this video please let me know and thank you again!) Has anyone else on here made the switch? I will be ordering the bulbs soon. I used these in my 1500 https://www.amazon.com/BEAMTECH-Headlight-8000Lumens-Extremely-Conversion/dp/B06XHDYTGL/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=BEAMTECH+H11+LED+Headlight+Bulb%2C+50W+6500K+8000Lumens&qid=1569005591&s=gateway&sr=8-4

2020 LED Bulbs https://www.amazon.com/H11-Headlight-Conversion-Approved-SEALIGHT/dp/B079KB7QX3/ref=au_as_r?_encoding=UTF8&Make=Chevrolet|47&Model=Silverado 2500 HD|494&Year=2020|2020&ie=UTF8&n=15684181&s=automotive&vehicleId=6&vehicleType=automotive

• 1 month later...

I did this today, overall definitely better, however I feel there is better options as far as bulbs go, there is a slight streak coming from the right light that is a little bothersome.  I feel there could be a bulb with better quality and consistency, just not sure how to match them up.

• 1 month later...

Give it some time and expect to spend some money. I see 3 options being the available in the future.

1. Morimoto will probably make some aftermarket LED housings that are direct swap and plug & play. They have been doing this for a lot of makes/models over the past year or 2 and have been pretty successful. Check out theretrofitsource to see what I'm talking about.

2. Gen5diy is a company that specializes in making wiring harnesses that allow different functionality of things like infotainment systems, headlights, etc... and one of their things is harnesses that let people with lower trim vehicles add in factory fog lights or swap to higher trim headlights. The drawback is you have to buy the oem housings and as you found out, it's expensive. I am calling this company tomorrow because they make a harness for the 1500's that allows you to keep your fogs on in conjunction with your high beams, I'd like to know if it will work for the HDs.

*Expect to spend about 2k+ for either of the above options.

3. You'll be able to either do an hid projector retrofit yourself or send your housings out to a company like fast headlights that will do it for you. The drawback here is that aftermarket hid systems are temperamental. I did 2 different retrofits on my 2015 and while I loved the output, I expected to change the wiring harness on a yearly basis because they just don't hold up well. The ballasts and bulbs held up fine, but the wiring sucked.

*Expect to spend anywhere from $300 to 2k+ for the above option depending on what you want to do.

*Also before I hear it, all of the above options utilize cut off shields to prevent blinding oncoming traffic, it works and it works well.

*The led bulb replacements haven't gotten a very good reputation because the light scatters too much, both blinding oncoming traffic and not giving you a very good amount of throw down the road. I would save your money unless you see an option come out that gets very good reviews and has some ability to aim the beams.

*On a final note, I went with the denali this time, and I love the lights. But I have to say I think it's BS, that GM is still using crap headlights as a way to differentiate trims. It's a safety issue, it's been in the news over the last few years, and there is no reason manufactures shouldn't be putting good headlights in ALL trims. You get better headlights these days in Kia's and Hyundai's for far less money. GM should be ashamed about that.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, jpgcrna said:

*On a final note, I went with the denali this time, and I love the lights. But I have to say I think it's BS, that GM is still using crap headlights as a way to differentiate trims. It's a safety issue, it's been in the news over the last few years, and there is no reason manufactures shouldn't be putting good headlights in ALL trims. You get better headlights these days in Kia's and Hyundai's for far less money. GM should be ashamed about that.

I completely agree that it is BS that they didn't release all of the 2020 HD's with LEDs all around! And then to put a $2200 price tag on the OEM LED headlights if you want to upgrade yourself.... Blah, give me a break!

• 4 weeks later...

I upgraded the LT headlights in my 2020 3500 LT to a set of H11 LED bulbs designed for Reflector headlights.  I bought the bulbs from here https://deautokey.com/product/headlight-leds-for-reflector-housing-halogen-housing-fits-many-cars-including-vw-audi-jeep 

Vary happy with the light output and matches the LED fog lights well.  they aren't the cheapest bulbs but they are of good Quality and designed for reflector Headlights.  I have been using there products on my VW's for a few years and haven't had any issues.  customer service is great also.  

• Like 1

On 12/18/2019 at 11:28 AM, Mikeysentra said:

I upgraded the LT headlights in my 2020 3500 LT to a set of H11 LED bulbs designed for Reflector headlights.  I bought the bulbs from here https://deautokey.com/product/headlight-leds-for-reflector-housing-halogen-housing-fits-many-cars-including-vw-audi-jeep 

Vary happy with the light output and matches the LED fog lights well.  they aren't the cheapest bulbs but they are of good Quality and designed for reflector Headlights.  I have been using there products on my VW's for a few years and haven't had any issues.  customer service is great also.  

Does the DRL still work with those bulbs? I am not sure if the truck uses the low beams at full power for the DRL, or if they run the bulbs at 50% power. 

On 12/19/2019 at 7:02 PM, Mikeysentra said:

Yes the DRL still works as designed.  Not sure of the power output of the DRL's either.  

Awesome, Thanks! Do they also fit with the dust covers still installed? 

1 hour ago, Mikeysentra said:

Yes they fit with the dust covers.  

Thanks! When I get back after the 1st of the year, I have to get the plow mount and headlight wiring harness installed for that and figure out what to do with all of those wires too. 

On 12/19/2019 at 4:02 PM, Mikeysentra said:

Yes the DRL still works as designed.  Not sure of the power output of the DRL's either.  

So re reading your post you only did the low beams (H11)? 

I talked to the company you posted, and they said the low beams will work fine, but the DRL won’t work with high beams as the trucks actually use the high beams at reduced voltage for the DRL.