High output alternator

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
On 11/23/2019 at 3:38 PM, rosepaule said:

Ok. Discovered that the 2018 alternator should be the same. Since ordered a 370 amp alternator and a Big 3 upgrade. Will install and let everyone know how it works.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

So what was the out come from this? Did the alt from the 2018s work with no issues?

On 11/23/2019 at 3:38 PM, rosepaule said:

Ok. Discovered that the 2018 alternator should be the same. Since ordered a 370 amp alternator and a Big 3 upgrade. Will install and let everyone know how it works.

Nope I have not. I was hoping you had gotten around to it so I would know if this was a possible solution. I'm trying to find a way to get more power as well, gonna need it to feed the audio system I plan to install

• 2 weeks later...

Just wondering if anyone has installed a mechman 370 amp alternator onto a 2020 gmc sierra 6.2L engine yet??

My motor does not have a belt tensioner and has what mechman calls a “stretch belt”

says it cant be done unless i just install a 250a alternator and that isnt big enough for my audio needs.

Just wondering if anyone has installed a mechman 370 amp alternator onto a 2020 gmc sierra 6.2L engine yet??
My motor does not have a belt tensioner and has what mechman calls a “stretch belt”
says it cant be done unless i just install a 250a alternator and that isnt big enough for my audio needs.

The OEM stretch belt will work on the 370. I havent installed myself but measured a new OEM belt and sent the specs over to mechman and they say it will be fine. The OEM pulley is 55mm and the mechman is 46mm.

This info came from Richard at Mechman.

The bigger problem thay I see is the 200a fuse block that is built into the battery terminal. It should be as simple as disconnecting that and then running a new HOT wires from the alt to the battery terminal with a 400a fuse in between.

I dont know enough about alternators and the GM computer to know if thay will cause other issues or not.

Any ideas???

13 hours ago, rosepaule said:

The bigger problem thay I see is the 200a fuse block that is built into the battery terminal. It should be as simple as disconnecting that and then running a new HOT wires from the alt to the battery terminal with a 400a fuse in between.

I dont know enough about alternators and the GM computer to know if thay will cause other issues or not.

Any ideas???

I dunno but I guess I’m going to tackle it no matter what. Already spent around $7,000 On this Sundown Audio system and I’ll be damned if I’m going to let a damn alternator stop me from having a bitchin stereo in my new truck.

This is what my battery looks like. It’s about to go bye bye as I have two Limitless Lithium  45AH lithium batteries to use (90AH combined) total weight 36lbs and has the power of 18 AGM 50lb batteries :)

9C77FE92-07E2-4F13-B2EA-5B9B8DD3EFFC.jpeg

The Police Package Tahoe gets a 170 Amp high output alternator and 720 cold-cranking amps primary battery and 730 cold-cranking amps auxiliary battery (dedicated to emergency equipment) With all the gear that a police vehicle has to power, they have this pretty well covered, you might consider going that route?