2019 vs 2016-17 models

Jricharc

So I have been aggresivly looking to buy a 2019 RST but I cannot get any local dealers to get me one for around what I want to pay.  I started looking at used options and found a few local 2016-17 models, two GMC All-Terrain models and once Denali all have under 50k miles and are priced between $32-38k.  What are folks opinions on the last gen vs the new T1 model trucks?  I can get a fully loaded every option used truck for around the same or less than that of the 2019 LT.  

1 hour ago, Snuff said:

I love my 2019 RST z71 with standard bed and 5.3/8 speed. It is a much better truck than the prior generations. You should get 20% off of MSRP in a new one. What state are you in?

I am in northern, VA I have been going back and forth with multiple dealerships but none of them want to give me any firm pricing over email so I have a hard time getting any to compete with each other. It's all this internet price bs they give you.

42 minutes ago, Jricharc said:

I am in northern, VA I have been going back and forth with multiple dealerships but none of them want to give me any firm pricing over email so I have a hard time getting any to compete with each other. It's all this internet price bs they give you.

Unfortunately you may need to just bite the bullet, take a day off work or burn up a weekend day and hit up a couple dealers in person.  They'll be much more willing to play some ball.  This is also the end of the month this weekend, and Sept. sales tends to be awful.  You may have got yourself into a nice situation to get a good price.

8 hours ago, Jricharc said:

I did it over the internet. Compiled a sheet of everyone of them and the dealers and sent it to the salesmen. When they asked me to come and take for a test drive I would tell them that I already did and when they said our truck more because the seats are made out of ants hide or whatever bs I would tell them I won't pay for a feature I don't want so you either give me what I wont or if you really want to sell something off your lot I would gladly take it but wont pay for the extra. Ended up getting the Z71 package, preferred package 1, running boards, and all weather mats for free. Just be firm and straight forward. And tell them what is the amount I need to write the check for if I would to buy it outright. No non sense this the price and this is what you going to pay because there is this fee and that fee

I actually drove 400miles to get my truck but saved close to 6k not counting the extra features I didn't want but got because they want to sell something from their inventory.

Edited by Moend
Typo
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I found around here at least, any reasonable used truck was so close in price to the new ones that buying used didn't make sense....  If you are able to find a way better deal used and the truck is mechanically sound, go for it - but if you are close on price, I'd go with the new one....

.02 Prefer the '19 RST over the '16 Z71 I traded. Performance of the 5.3 DFM/8 speed exceeds the 5.3 AFM /6 speed. On dry, wet road even on hairpion turns the difference in handling of the 19s front suspension with 22s drives like a car vs the Z71 off road 17s when in sharp turns, front leaned like the tower of Pisa and rear broke away like a, unloaded Ford flatbed.

Go with the '19 and you have a next gen body, with an '18- you've got a gen old 3 year old body, with a '15- you've got a 2 gen old body......makes a difference 3 years later when comes trade in or end of lease time.

I like buying near the end of a production cycle. You get the most features offered for that model run and most of the bugs are worked out. Example, Adaptive Cruise control is offered on 2020 T1XX. Suspension has been retuned on 2020 T1XX. Supposedly Interior is being redesigned in 2021.

If you can get a K2xx for 25% off MSRP or more, go K2XX. If you can get a T1XX for nearly 20% off MSRP go T1XX. 

Of course it's really up to you and what will make you happy.

Both are good trucks, the Engines are nearly identical since 2014 except for AFM vs DFM cylinder deactivation. I have had good luck with my 8 speed, I imagine the 10 speed is even better with closer gear ratios and better tuned shifting.

Whatever you get post some pics ?

I am talking new MSRP prices. Check out Laura Buick GMC, I flew in and drove home. None of my local dealers could come close to their prices. No value added BS (paint protection, interior protection, etc) that adds thousands to the price!