Replacement 4L60E

I drive a 2001 Silverado Z71 with the 5.3. The truck has 257k miles on it. The transmission finally called it quits yesterday. I lost 2nd, 4th, and reverse and metal all over the dipstick. I was wondering what people's experience's were with the different transmission guys (Monster Transmission, Performabuilt, etc) or the store branded (Oreilly's, Autozone, etc).  I either want to have mine rebuilt or get a new one but i dont know where to start or who are the "good" people to look into. Also, im from the North East Arkansas area and i am open to having someone local to this area rebuilt it as well if anyone knows anyone in this area. 

I need something that will stand up to a decent amount of towing as well. I pull a bassboat, mowing equipment, haul scrap sometimes, and from time to time i haul a car or full size truck on a solid steel car hauler with a center cutout (no idea on the unloaded weight). Also, my father in law and i are looking into doing some engine upgrades but we haven't committed to parts yet. However, were hoping to do a full engine rebuild and maybe squeeze 400+hp out of it.

• Like 1

Well with the possibility of redoing the motor you made a easy answer get a little tougher.

I'd just call a salvage yard and see if they have a HD version of your transmission that'll bolt up even if you have to swap the flywheel out.

Get a good used one with a few month warranty on it, after installing it take it to a transmission shop and have them service it and check the solenoids over and make any necessary adjustments if needed.

You can check out car-part.com which has hundreds of salvage yards nationwide. The local one up here Nordstrom's Automotive has a 199 day warranty, ships nationwide. Can get you remanufactured transmissions.

They make sure everything works as well before selling.

IF you may be in the market for a good rebuilder vehicle they have plenty on their site and have alot of photos so you know what you're getting yourself into.

If you want to get into rebuilding a wrecked pickup to maybe upgrade some years newer check out the YouTube channel Vehcor as he knows his stuff.

He's even got a silverado series truck he did awhile back that was really nice. I think someone offered him enough so he sold it to them.

He does alot of flips it seems. You have to price them right, know your compatibilities or ask around and people will help.
Yeah I know I got off topic but you can get a good engine with half the miles and not have to rebuild one unless that's just something you want to do.

Find a 3/4 ton and rebuild that and you'll be set for pulling.

The website is Nordstroms Automotive. I always just look it up on Google and go from there.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

You got a whole lot more miles outta your Z than I did with mine. I got 75K or so before my torque converter started bleeding.

I wanted to rebuild the same case, but instead bought a rebuilt from a guy I know who runs a speed shop for Chevys.

I got about 60k on it now. I’m not sure what to recommend you. I really wanted my own case rebuilt because I was OK with it.

I learned they are expensive trannys and not very big.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well with the possibility of redoing the motor you made a easy answer get a little tougher.

I'd just call a salvage yard and see if they have a HD version of your transmission that'll bolt up even if you have to swap the flywheel out.

Get a good used one with a few month warranty on it, after installing it take it to a transmission shop and have them service it and check the solenoids over and make any necessary adjustments if needed.

You can check out car-part.com which has hundreds of salvage yards nationwide. The local one up here Nordstrom's Automotive has a 199 day warranty, ships nationwide. Can get you remanufactured transmissions.

They make sure everything works as well before selling.

IF you may be in the market for a good rebuilder vehicle they have plenty on their site and have alot of photos so you know what you're getting yourself into.

If you want to get into rebuilding a wrecked pickup to maybe upgrade some years newer check out the YouTube channel Vehcor as he knows his stuff.

He's even got a silverado series truck he did awhile back that was really nice. I think someone offered him enough so he sold it to them.

He does alot of flips it seems. You have to price them right, know your compatibilities or ask around and people will help.
Yeah I know I got off topic but you can get a good engine with half the miles and not have to rebuild one unless that's just something you want to do.

Find a 3/4 ton and rebuild that and you'll be set for pulling.

The website is Nordstroms Automotive. I always just look it up on Google and go from there.

They don’t put this tranny in a 3/4 ton HD p/u do they ?

I remember the older 3/4 ton tranny when Chevy used 350 Turbo and 700r. Might have been a C2 ? All I know is it was without THE tranny for towing a bass boat or snowmobile. Awesome stuff. Think they aren’t made ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3/4 and 1 tons from the mid 90's up use a 4L80e until around 2007.

Doing that swap is far more involved because you'd have to do some wiring changes, new flex plate, new 4L80e converter. Cut and re-weld the cross member for the different length transmission. Then you have the transfer case stuff to worry about and likely needing to get your driveshafts in order.

Sticking with a 4L60 is just easier in your case. You can buy all the parts to beef it up and have someone rebuild your unit or purchase a beefed up transmission from a vendor. You'd have to do some super serious upgrades to hit 400hp from a older 5.3 like that. Even if you did a camshaft swap, headers and so on, you'll only be around 300-325hp to the rear tire after drivetrain loss. Seeing how it makes like 285-300hp at the crank and 240-250ish at the tire right now.

Upgrading friction materials, sun shell, and swap in the 5 planet planetary set (4L65E) will make these things quite a bit beefier than in stock silt. After all that, throw on a big trans cooler and it should handle it quite well. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I would not buy any online rebuilt transmission. I would find a local reputable shop that knows how to do a quality job or I would do it myself. I have seen to much junk coming out of all the major re-manufacturers to trust any of it.

Once you find a quality shop, tell them what you want to do and have them build it for that, if you pick the cheapest place you will leave unhappy. Pick based on the quality of work and the shop having knowledge in rebuilds. 

Also, You should receive a new sun shell and replace all internal sensors while doing the overhaul or you will be back into it, worth the cost.

Edited by Mikebtte
  • Like 1

Doing that swap is far more involved because you'd have to do some wiring changes, new flex plate, new 4L80e converter. Cut and re-weld the cross member for the different length transmission. Then you have the transfer case stuff to worry about and likely needing to get your driveshafts in order.

Sticking with a 4L60 is just easier in your case. You can buy all the parts to beef it up and have someone rebuild your unit or purchase a beefed up transmission from a vendor. You'd have to do some super serious upgrades to hit 400hp from a older 5.3 like that. Even if you did a camshaft swap, headers and so on, you'll only be around 300-325hp to the rear tire after drivetrain loss. Seeing how it makes like 285-300hp at the crank and 240-250ish at the tire right now.

Your right on the money. I saw in the last week where they did that upgrade with the cutting and welding of the bracket but the motor, well they've got big plans for it.

I want to say it's a channel I'm subscribed to on YouTube, maybe Power Nation.

Yet, a lot of dealers also compete HARD for the engine/transmission business.

This means, they do not mark up their COSTS much, just in order to sell these reman units.

Call 2-3 GM dealers around you a shop the prices. Tell them what your last quote was & the next prices MIGHT even be cheeper...