Trying to decide if should trade in 2500hd 6.0 gas for new 3.0 diesel, have same tow capacity

Currently have 2014 GMC 2500hd with 6.0 gas and 3.73 gears, no longer have travel trailer that was 7800 lbs., so I don't necessarily need the HD now but  will probably get another one in a few years down the road around the same weight.  Went and test drove the 2020 Chevy 1500 with 3.0 diesel, drove real good, power was smooth and strong, I know when I get new trailer payload will be a factor but towing capacity will be the same considering my current truck only has a tow capacity of 9400 lbs. and so does the new 3.0 diesel.  The better fuel mileage would be huge plus considering only 13 mpg in truck now and thats being gently on throttle.  Just don't want to get rid of current truck and regret when I go to tow with only 1/2 ton truck.  Even when I was towing only usually went around 100-200 miles round trip but there is a lot of hilly areas in my area. Another consideration is dependability of the new diesel.  Any responses are appreciated

I am not a diesel guy so my opinion is keep yours for now. I have always read that the extra cost of a diesel only makes sense if you keep it for 200,000 miles or more. I love my 2019 RST 5.3 with 8 speed and it pulls my 6000 Jayco just fine. I would keep what you have, start a savings account, and wait until you buy a trailer. It is better to have more payload  and towing capacity than not enough. There are a lot of great trailer available <6,000 lbs dry. That would be a smart choice for a new 1/2 ton. Good luck!

• Like 1

Thanks for feed back, I looked at the 2019's with the 5.3 DFM engine and didn't really care for how the power felt, it was only a test drive,  I drove the diesel and liked the way it drove, felt like a gas motor but with a lot of low end torque.  

My opinion: keep the 2500HD 6.0L.

My reasoning: you'll be at or near the true towing limit of the 1500, and while the capabilities may be there on paper, in real world practice the HD will feel much more secure and handle better.  Also, the price of a new truck will pay for a lot of 13mpg gasoline.

My explanation: due to the payloads of the 1/2 ton trucks of around 1800lbs, you will max out your payload and VW capacity before you hit your tow capacity unless you weigh 150lbs and are running empty.  The 3/4 and 1 tons much higher payload will allow you to tow and have people and gear in the truck.  Also, if you're doing a gooseneck or 5th wheel you'll want the 6.5' bed at a minimum, which in the 1/2 tom means you're getting a double cab.  

Now if that is all right, the numbers work out fine, and you really dont need the HD capabilities sure go for the 1500.  But if you're pushing the 8k lbs. mark of the trailer I'd stay with the bigger truck.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mandalorian said:

Gas is cheap, diesel repairs/service is not

That's a toss up.

The debate has been covered many times. Yes diesel cost a little more per gallon but getting 30mpg on the freeway is a lot better than his current like 13mpg.

He will have warranty for many years on anything engine/transmission related and the modern diesel truck like this one won't have very spendy service costs because the engine is small. Oil changes are going to cost just about the exact same. Air filters and what not are not going to be through the roof.

If the need for the 3/4 ton isn't there, it's worth the change to me.

If the next trailer is "probably in a few years",  give the 3.0L a try. 

Should provide significantly better fuel economy then the 6.0L.

In a few years, IF you end up getting a new trailer, you can revisit if it's still the correct vehicle for the job. 

FWIW, the  5.3L and 6.2L both have higher tow ratings than the 3.0L.  Equipping them with the the max tow (rpo NHT) option bumps up the rating further. 

3.0L only comes in one version. 

for what its worth--------- and this is just my .02 worth

I have the new diesel and the big selling point for me was

MPG- do the math from your cost. Yes it will take you time to get your money back (40k miles covers the extra cost) I save .03 cents per mile

Diesel fuel- where I live on the east coast, when storms hit all the gas stations dry up but diesel never does

Diesels last longer. If your someone that keeps them a long time (trucks) 

Towing-- I have not pulled with it yet but plan to, the mpg will always be better than gas mpg

Maint---- I find that the new diesels cost close to the same for upkeep.

I have only put on 750 miles on my but the one tank that I have put in has given me 28.9 mpg (city driving only)

PLUS it just sounds cool, old diesels are load, this new one has a bit of sound but nothing like the old.

Edited by buelldude

I tow and if it were me, I'd keep the 2500, considering the weight of the trailer you'll be pulling.  Max towing rating is more a bragging rights number than anything else.  A trailer that's almost 8000 lbs will have a tongue weight that's going to be over 1000 lbs, which just ate up a sizeable portion of your payload capacity in a half ton.  After pulling as much weight with a 2500 as you have, I don't think you're going to be too comfortable towing it with a 1500.  You're definitely gong to notice the difference, and not in a good way.  When it comes to trailer towing, there's more to the equation than HP, torque and mpg. 

When I first bought the trailer I had an Avalanche and I understand about the difference between 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton towing, night and day, I've considered the 5.3 with max tow but not real sure how i'd like since same hp and tq as current truck and now with the motors having the DFM, those electronics scare me more then the new 3.0 diesel. From what i've researched the 5.3's only get a little better then my current 6.0, maybe 15-17 mpg in the real world, I could be wrong but that's what I have seen a lot of. I'm sure the 6.2l would be fun but not to thrilled about have to always run premium fuel.  Currently my truck is not my daily driver, I have a little beater car that gets 30 mpg, but who knows how long it will be till that thing needs some $ put into it.  Thought of having another 3 year bumper to bumper warranty is nice but one way or another your still paying.  Anybody tow with both the 5.3 max tow and a 3/4 ton with gas motor, just curious how it handled.  I probably shouldn't be worried about the tow factor too much considering its gonna be a while before getting new travel trailer, just like to plan ahead and have option available if need be.  Once again appreciate the responses and opinions, its helping me decide whether to do