Z71 Rancho Quality

So I just picked up a 18' z71 which, as everyone knows, come with Ranchos. In all unbiased honesty, are they really as bad as a lot of people seem to think they are? Especially in comparison to the stock OEM shocks that come on non-z71 trucks? It seems like there is considerably more disdain towards these than appreciation..

I had a 16' LT and if I'm going to be completely honest, I don't notice any significant difference in ride quality or feel. I don't do any offroading, at all, so I most likely won't be dropping the coin on new shocks until these go bad. When that day comes I'll probably go with Bilsteins.

On a side note, do the Ranchos add any height a all? At a quick glance it seems to be the same as my previous LT before I leveled it.

I just got rid of my 2004 Silverado Z71, which I had installed Bilstein 5100 shocks and now own a 2017 Silverado Z71, with the Rancho shocks. I personly feel that the 2017 is a much smoother ride, but the '04 was 13 years older and I had oversize tires, so there's that. That being said, I won't be replacing the Ranchos anytime soom, but when I do, I won't be replacing them with Rancho

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

So I just picked up a 18' z71 which, as everyone knows, come with Ranchos. In all unbiased honesty, are they really as bad as a lot of people seem to think they are? Especially in comparison to the stock OEM shocks that come on non-z71 trucks? It seems like there is considerably more disdain towards these than appreciation..

I had a 16' LT and if I'm going to be completely honest, I don't notice any significant difference in ride quality or feel. I don't do any offroading, at all, so I most likely won't be dropping the coin on new shocks until these go bad. When that day comes I'll probably go with Bilsteins.

On a side note, do the Ranchos add any height a all? At a quick glance it seems to be the same as my previous LT before I leveled it.
No height, when i went to bilsteins the ride was noticeably better

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

19 minutes ago, HeySkippyDog said:

The non-Z71 trucks come with 2 different shock options, both being GM/AC Delco.

Z85 - floats like your grandma's Cadillac
Z60 - Stiffer, more feel of the road

Sent from my SM-J810F using Tapatalk

I have a lower trim level (LT1 I believe), but if I had to guess I would say Z85. It felt pretty cushy/floaty even after leveling.. but, I could be wrong. It was my first truck, so I don't have anything to compare it to as far as stiffness/softness goes.

Edited by mistermcgoo

They do ride pretty stiff, but they are also on a truck, so you have to be realistic in your expectations.

I think they do a fine job, and when they wear out I will look at other options, maybe even an upgraded version depending on how long they last.

• Like 1

I really don't have any complaints so far. I think the ride is pretty good truth be told, especially for an "offroad" shock.

What I am surprised with, is that they didn't add an inch or two lift like they finally decided to do with the new Trail Boss's. You would think they would have since they tout the offroad terminology. No biggie for me though, a simple front level and rear block are cheap and easy enough to install to add just a bit of height/clearance.

Edited by mistermcgoo

1 hour ago, mistermcgoo said:

In all unbiased honesty, are they really as bad as a lot of people seem to think they are?

My unbiased opinion is that my 2015 version of Tenneco Ranchos provide the best ride I've ever had in a truck. Can you get a different feel with new shocks? sure. It all depends on what you expect it to feel like. I expect my truck to carry almost 2,000 lbs when I want, and ride decent both loaded and unloaded. My expectations are met or exceeded.

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, mistermcgoo said:

Does anyone know what exact model Rancho's are included with z71's? I'm assuming maybe the RS5000's..

I think I've seen people on here say the shocks we get OEM are a lesser version of the shocks you can buy directly from Rancho. Like GM worked out a deal with them for some bargain parts.

• Like 1

I am okay with mine and they are what they are. My biggest gripe is going over speedbumps; gotta keep it slow enough to barely get over them...otherwise, it will rock your jaw out. Whenever they wear out I will find a different aftermarket replacement...

• Like 1