6 minutes ago, Puttnutt24 said:

Thanks Nick,

That being said, wouldn't any CAI require the same?

You would think. GM has locked these new trucks down tight and other CAI companies can’t tune for their intake. To me, if that’s the case then I don’t see much of a difference from stock. That is the reason I went with GM. 

1 minute ago, Black02Silverado said:

You would think. GM has locked these new trucks down tight and other CAI companies can’t tune for their intake. To me, if that’s the case then I don’t see much of a difference from stock. That is the reason I went with GM. 

Thanks again Nick,

Now the million dollar question, do you think we're going to be able to tune these trucks any time soon?

I've tuned my last three trucks and the difference was night and day..

Hey Blackbear Performance, are you hearing this? lol

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Puttnutt24 said:

Thanks again Nick,

Now the million dollar question, do you think we're going to be able to tune these trucks any time soon?

I've tuned my last three trucks and the difference was night and day..

Hey Blackbear Performance, are you hearing this? lol

HP Tuners can tune them now. But it is expensive. Not sure if it will be available from others anytime soon. 

The ECM flash that GM does when you get their CAI is - from what dealers say - just to help the computer understand there is more air flowing thru the MAF, and to read it back to the truck more accurately for filter replacement or any other MAF error. 

The other thing about the GM CAI is that it is legal in all 50 states for emissions. I think the Rotofab one is, too, but I’m not sure. I do know that not all of them are. 

45 minutes ago, Chips said:

So far the best intake from the ones ive seen, S&B , Volant, Cold Air Inductions, rotofab, k&n, GM, AFE. 

Out of these the S&B looks better and flows better. With good data to back it up.

Just tough to find it stock.

You are correct. S&B flows better than any other CAI. They don’t claim HP numbers but they are cheaper than Rotofab and GMs intake by $150. And there build quality is very nice. This is my second one. 

No.

Aftermarket intake systems are designed to work with the factory calibration. If the intake diameter does not change, the MAF sensor does not need to be re-calibrated. That is why anyone can buy a kit from Airaid, AFE etc etc and just slap it on the truck. The minimal gains come from a smoother design with no baffles or resonator tubes.

11 hours ago, CamGTP said:

No.

Aftermarket intake systems are designed to work with the factory calibration. If the intake diameter does not change, the MAF sensor does not need to be re-calibrated. That is why anyone can buy a kit from Airaid, AFE etc etc and just slap it on the truck. The minimal gains come from a smoother design with no baffles or resonator tubes.

You are correct. That’s why S&B requires u to disconnect the battery for 2 hours. Truck relearns new intake system. I’ve had mine on for week. Put on almost 600 miles on it. Just got back from lake house driving 87 mph on the interstate and didn’t/haven’t had an issue yet. ??
I believe all the GM recalibration does is shut off the filter life. It has nothing to do with recalibrating the amount of air. 

45 minutes ago, TNTSilverado said:

You are correct. That’s why S&B requires u to disconnect the battery for 2 hours. Truck relearns new intake system. I’ve had mine on for week. Put on almost 600 miles on it. Just got back from lake house driving 87 mph on the interstate and didn’t/haven’t had an issue yet. ??
I believe all the GM recalibration does is shut off the filter life. It has nothing to do with recalibrating the amount of air. 

The ECM flash doesn't shut off the filter life, you are instructed to do that per the installation instructions in the DIC.  I didn't just because.  Wanted to see how fast the filter life goes down in relation to time and miles driven.

7 hours ago, Black02Silverado said:

The ECM flash doesn't shut off the filter life, you are instructed to do that per the installation instructions in the DIC.  I didn't just because.  Wanted to see how fast the filter life goes down in relation to time and miles driven.

The point is the ECM flash they do isnt a tune , it also 100% cannot change the way the maf works. The ECM “flash” is a reset . It equates to the same function unplugging the battery does, it resets the fuel trims and relearns based on conditions .

This is why if you are after the best intake , its best to look at design and airflow numbers . In this case the S & B is the best per the data published . The design is also the nicest but thats opinion not data.

Edited by Chips

2 hours ago, Chips said:

The point is the ECM flash they do isnt a tune , it also 100% cannot change the way the maf works. The ECM “flash” is a reset . It equates to the same function unplugging the battery does, it resets the fuel trims and relearns based on conditions .

This is why if you are after the best intake , its best to look at design and airflow numbers . In this case the S & B is the best per the data published . The design is also the nicest but thats opinion not data.

So if it is the same as a rest, as in just disconnecting the battery, which the instructions tell you to do, then why does GM waste their Techs time and money having you take it in to do a "flash".   GM is not in the game to spend money that is for sure.  There has to be another reason.

7 minutes ago, Black02Silverado said:

So if it is the same as a rest, as in just disconnecting the battery, which the instructions tell you to do, then why does GM waste their Techs time and money having you take it in to do a "flash".   GM is not in the game to spend money that is for sure.  There has to be another reason.

Its to reset the fuel trims , Disconnecting the battery can do this too but it can take several hours to do. You need all residual power to leave the ecm.

and dont kid yourself its not for free the intake is priced accordingly. If the GM intake came with any kinda “tune” every single person would go this route .

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Chips said:

Its to reset the fuel trims , Disconnecting the battery can do this too but it can take several hours to do. You need all residual power to leave the ecm.

and dont kid yourself its not for free the intake is priced accordingly. If the GM intake came with any kinda “tune” every single person would go this route .

They would make more money keeping the price the same and then just including in the instructions to disconnect the battery for 12 hours.  Taking it in to have the ECM flashed is taking up a slot for another customer that they could be making more money on.  Looks like the GM bean counters didn't do their job on this one then.

1 hour ago, Black02Silverado said:

They would make more money keeping the price the same and then just including in the instructions to disconnect the battery for 12 hours.  Taking it in to have the ECM flashed is taking up a slot for another customer that they could be making more money on.  Looks like the GM bean counters didn't do their job on this one then.

you are right GM wouldnt do it for no reason.

Its possible that it also prevents the ecu from throwing a code due to the higher air flow. I guess the main thing im pointing out if you installed the intake and didnt to the ecm flash vs doing the flash , you arent going to see a hp/Torque discrepancy between the two setups.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 1/1/2020 at 5:56 PM, Billet Bowtie said:

I felt the same way. I ended up purchasing the Volant. With the MIT and filter costing over $200 and the Rotofab at $500 the Volant seemed to be the best of both worlds at $275. I really like the look of the Rotofab but for almost twice the price and most likely about the same performance it just seems over priced for a air intake. The above picture of the Volant is accurate. The top of the airbox is a couple of inches higher so the higher volume cone filter can fit. Here is a picture of mine installed. 

20200101_161258.jpg

Have you realized an increase in mpg, especially at highway speeds? Did you need to get a tuner adjustment or did the system adjust automatically? Thank you.