Just curious if anyone has installed the Volant CAI for the 19 and up Silverado/Sierra? I am trying to decide if it worth saving some coin and purchasing that one instead of the Rotofab. I had a Rotofab in my 2014 SS Sedan and really liked it, but just don't know if it is worth the extra cost that could be going to something else. 

1 hour ago, LGJ1984 said:

Just curious if anyone has installed the Volant CAI for the 19 and up Silverado/Sierra? I am trying to decide if it worth saving some coin and purchasing that one instead of the Rotofab. I had a Rotofab in my 2014 SS Sedan and really liked it, but just don't know if it is worth the extra cost that could be going to something else. 

I also had a Volant on a 2009 F150 5.0l and I liked it. As i get older not 100% sure i want the extra noise. Installed this last night, the Airade MIT for my 6.2L. I took it for a drive, no extra noise as it used the factory airbox. So far I am happy and it is claimed to give 8.8 more HP per the sheet that came with it from Airaid.

20191231_115951.jpg

• Like 1

IMO the Volant (and Corsa, same thing) just look terrible. Because it re-uses the lower part of the factory air box, the intake tube has a crazy radical bend and just sits tall and looks awkward. I don’t see that being ideal for any performance gain either.

I went with the Roto-Fab and love it, but I’d sooner leave it stock than buy the Volant. No offense to anyone who has one, but you tell me which one looks better.

AC98B4EA-FB01-4F8C-92F5-E7C9A2355520.thumb.jpeg.4827c1c795f621199dfe7c0280fbfd30.jpeg

4F4B266E-949E-4A73-9BC7-EC3FA19F1F57.thumb.jpeg.0bba3c8ea66f2ddd56005fb0565b8f00.jpeg

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, OnTheReel said:

IMO the Volant (and Corsa, same thing) just look terrible. Because it re-uses the lower part of the factory air box, the intake tube has a crazy radical bend and just sits tall and looks awkward. I don’t see that being ideal for any performance gain either.

I went with the Roto-Fab and love it, but I’d sooner leave it stock than buy the Volant. No offense to anyone who has one, but you tell me which one looks better.

AC98B4EA-FB01-4F8C-92F5-E7C9A2355520.thumb.jpeg.4827c1c795f621199dfe7c0280fbfd30.jpeg

4F4B266E-949E-4A73-9BC7-EC3FA19F1F57.thumb.jpeg.0bba3c8ea66f2ddd56005fb0565b8f00.jpeg

I’m sure your onto something with the bends, but there is no way it sit that high, the hood would not shut..??

Believe it or not, that’s how it sits. I’ve seen a couple people post their’s installed. That’s the compromise with using the stock lower half of the box. Easier to install, and cheaper, but it has to sit very tall to accommodate the intake tube outlet and filter being entirely contained in the top half of the box.

• Confused 1

A local high-end performance shop where I live talked me out of putting a Roto Fab on my trail boss lt 5.3. He even talked me out of a custom exhaust! They said the exhaust is just noise and a cold air intake without a tune is just eye candy under the hood. So, I guess I’m going to leave my truck stock. I was trying to give them my money but they told me without a tuner on the motor, the cold air intake would not be helpful. I do not often raise my hood just to stare at the engine, so I think I will take that $500 and spend it elsewhere.

Edited by lebag335
  • Like 1

A local high-end performance shop where I live talked me out of putting a Roto Fab on my trail boss lt 5.3. He even talked me out of a custom exhaust! They said the exhaust is just noise and a cold air intake without a tune is just eye candy under the hood. So, I guess I’m going to leave my truck stock. I was trying to give them my money but they told me without a tuner on the motor, the cold air intake would not be helpful. I do not often raise my hood just to stare at the engine, so I think I will take that $500 and spend it elsewhere.

Why is a tune needed for a CAI? When I had my 2012 camaro I data logged before and after and there were no adjustments required. Rotofab does R&D hasthis high performance shop? Glad they are saving you money but I dont necessarily buy their advice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, lebag335 said:

That performance shop nailed it 100%. Just like headers there only good for motors that spend their time at wide open throttle and around the top end of max rpm

Edited by Silverado4x4
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Sure, 100%, as long as you ignore all scientific testing and evidence. Ignore all of the dyno charts showing gains, even the independent ones. Also ignore GM’s own advertised increases for the parts they sell (13hp for the “just noise“ model exhaust)...nothing to see there...the internet said it’s nothing...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lebag335 said:

9 minutes ago, OnTheReel said:

Sure, 100%, as long as you ignore all scientific testing and evidence. Ignore all of the dyno charts showing gains, even the independent ones. Also ignore GM’s own advertised increases for the parts they sell (13hp for the “just noise“ model exhaust)...nothing to see there...the internet said it’s nothing...

I agree with OnTheReel, also if you look at my post in here, the Airaid sends a sheet showing that just the Jr. CAI provides 8.8HP more. I am sure the local high end shop guy may just not have wanted to do such low dollar job. The Jr. CAI does not do the come filter, it comes with just a K&N style drop in, so there is no extra noise coming from under the hood. So they may be right, and if you are not going all out and doing intake, headers. exhaust and tuner and driving it all out on the track, which is what the high end guy is used to servicing, they its a "waste" of money. I love the sound of my Gibson exhaust and I can see on the instant economy that at the same MPH its showing about 1.5-2 more MPG with that and the Airaid Jr. CAI. Just food for thought. And I installed it all, all by myself. 

• Like 1

Personally, I just like to get the most I can out of the truck, and was bored quickly with it in stock form. Not into lifts or custom wheels or anything so this is where I spent my money. 

The looks and sound alone were worth it to me, and I don’t think anyone here is saying that the 20 or so RWHP from an intake and exhaust that’s generally PROVEN to be gained is life changing. But I would say it’s noticeable and so does my performance meter.

Either way, the thread was started with a question between two different CAIs, not whether or not he needs or wants one, apparently he does. And he should be happy with either the Roto-Fab or the MIT, looks like they both do a nice job. ?‍♂️

• Like 1

On 12/31/2019 at 1:46 PM, LGJ1984 said:

I felt the same way. I ended up purchasing the Volant. With the MIT and filter costing over $200 and the Rotofab at $500 the Volant seemed to be the best of both worlds at $275. I really like the look of the Rotofab but for almost twice the price and most likely about the same performance it just seems over priced for a air intake. The above picture of the Volant is accurate. The top of the airbox is a couple of inches higher so the higher volume cone filter can fit. Here is a picture of mine installed. 

20200101_161258.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for the input everyone... Personally, I would say the Volant and Roto-Fab look equally good in their own way. I would say the Volant looks more off-road and the Roto-Fab looks more street if that makes sense. I was looking for a CAI simply because I picked up a Gibson exhaust and wanted to compliment it with a CAI. I think we all know that a CAI and cat back may give a little bump in power, but in reality it's negligible without a tune. 

I was more interested in fit and finish as I have a list of other things I want to purchase, so if I can save a couple hundred bucks and still get a quality product, I am ok with losing a couple HP from "the best". When I had my SS, and was trying to get every last HP out if it, I went with the Roto-Fab. That car also had headers, cam, tune, so it made sense. 

I am still not sure if it's worth the extra cash to me, but it's good to hear what others think and their opinions. Just curious Billet, any reason you went with the red dry filter over the power core? Was it just to save some coin? I don't really know anything about the power core except from what I read on Volant's website.

Thanks!

When researching the different Volant filters I didnt want to use the oiled filter even though I have used mutiple K&N filters in the past because of the risk of oil contaminating the Maf. I read the Powercore has the best filtration especially for very dusty environments but gives up a little flow for filtration. The dry filter is kind of the opposite more flow but not as good for dirty environments. My truck is pretty much a street truck so the dry filter seemed to be the best choice.