21 hours ago, LGJ1984 said:

Thanks for the input everyone... Personally, I would say the Volant and Roto-Fab look equally good in their own way. I would say the Volant looks more off-road and the Roto-Fab looks more street if that makes sense. I was looking for a CAI simply because I picked up a Gibson exhaust and wanted to compliment it with a CAI. I think we all know that a CAI and cat back may give a little bump in power, but in reality it's negligible without a tune. 

I was more interested in fit and finish as I have a list of other things I want to purchase, so if I can save a couple hundred bucks and still get a quality product, I am ok with losing a couple HP from "the best". When I had my SS, and was trying to get every last HP out if it, I went with the Roto-Fab. That car also had headers, cam, tune, so it made sense. 

I am still not sure if it's worth the extra cash to me, but it's good to hear what others think and their opinions. Just curious Billet, any reason you went with the red dry filter over the power core? Was it just to save some coin? I don't really know anything about the power core except from what I read on Volant's website.

Thanks!

You install your Gibson yet? Do you have the 5.3 or the 6.2?

On 1/1/2020 at 8:20 PM, Billet Bowtie said:

When researching the different Volant filters I didnt want to use the oiled filter even though I have used mutiple K&N filters in the past because of the risk of oil contaminating the Maf. I read the Powercore has the best filtration especially for very dusty environments but gives up a little flow for filtration. The dry filter is kind of the opposite more flow but not as good for dirty environments. My truck is pretty much a street truck so the dry filter seemed to be the best choice.

Oiled filters are ok with MAF.  It's when people over oil them that it can cause a problem...

Most people just slather a bunch of filter oil on there and it's practically dripping wet, and that's no bueno...

• Like 1

Oiled filters are ok with MAF.  It's when people over oil them that it can cause a problem...

Most people just slather a bunch of filter oil on there and it's practically dripping wet, and that's no bueno...

Yep. I just run the oil on each rib at a steady pace. I oil only the side away from the MAF sensor. Never had a problem in all my years. Sensors look like new. Never cleaned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

23 minutes ago, Bob2C said:

Yep. I just run the oil on each rib at a steady pace. I oil only the side away from the MAF sensor. Never had a problem in all my years. Sensors look like new. Never cleaned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you can get the aerosol can of K&N filter oil, makes it even easier to re-oil...

27 minutes ago, SquireSCA said:

I feel the same way. I have probably had a dozen oiled filters in the past and never a issue. I bought the dry one this time mainly because I have heard of people getting grief from the dealer some times if you need warranty work saying the oiled filter causes issue to the maf. Figured I would give it a shot.

19 hours ago, Londart2020 said:

You install your Gibson yet? Do you have the 5.3 or the 6.2?

I have the 5.3 without the factory exhaust (LT). The fit and finish were excellent, I had zero issues getting it installed. I have the DFM so it does sound weird once in awhile when it is messing with cylinder deactivation. Sometimes it sounds like it has a cam lope when cruising around at slow speeds. Other than that, I like it a lot.

Truck-Rear.jpg

Edited by LGJ1984
add pic
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, LGJ1984 said:

I have the 5.3 without the factory exhaust (LT). The fit and finish were excellent, I had zero issues getting it installed. I have the DFM so it does sound weird once in awhile when it is messing with cylinder deactivation. Sometimes it sounds like it has a cam lope when cruising around at slow speeds. Other than that, I like it a lot.

Truck-Rear.jpg

Cool thanks. Yeah that is the one thing that is going to take some getting use to, I'm guessing its when it goes into anything lower then 4 cylinders, you get that odd thumping noise. Also I have noticed its really only in the 40-50MPH range, higher or lower MPH and nothing really.

On 1/1/2020 at 4:41 PM, LGJ1984 said:

Thanks for the input everyone... Personally, I would say the Volant and Roto-Fab look equally good in their own way. I would say the Volant looks more off-road and the Roto-Fab looks more street if that makes sense. I was looking for a CAI simply because I picked up a Gibson exhaust and wanted to compliment it with a CAI. I think we all know that a CAI and cat back may give a little bump in power, but in reality it's negligible without a tune. 

I was more interested in fit and finish as I have a list of other things I want to purchase, so if I can save a couple hundred bucks and still get a quality product, I am ok with losing a couple HP from "the best". When I had my SS, and was trying to get every last HP out if it, I went with the Roto-Fab. That car also had headers, cam, tune, so it made sense. 

I am still not sure if it's worth the extra cash to me, but it's good to hear what others think and their opinions. Just curious Billet, any reason you went with the red dry filter over the power core? Was it just to save some coin? I don't really know anything about the power core except from what I read on Volant's website.

Thanks!

Hello,

Thanks for using our CAI on your SS, and for your consideration on the Silverado! This exerpt from a recent post of ours may be helpful in defining the real performance and quality difference you get with a Roto-fab CAI.

Not all Cold Air Intakes are created equal. It is a common assumption that all CAIs perform the same, but this couldn't be further from the truth.

There are countless variables involved in the performance of a CAI system - all of which are carefully considered and refined during the development of a Roto-fab product. It is actually very difficult to create a CAI that gains power on the factory calibration. While there are many intake systems that you can install without setting a check engine light, we go beyond that to actually maximize performance with no tune required. By closely monitoring pertinent data during thousands of miles of driving, we can effectively improve our design over the course of nearly 100 different prototype configurations. This process of relentless improvement and refinement ensures you will receive the best performing product available for your vehicle!  When comparing different aftermarket products, consider manufacturers’ claims as well as independent test results from a 3rd party. Roto-fab has been chosen time after time by the world's leading performance shops, not because of our performance claims, but because of the outstanding performance that is shown in independent testing. As we have seen with the 6th Gen Camaro, there are actually CAI systems out there that lose power as compared to the stock intake. So whatever brand you choose, be sure to get plenty of data on the system beyond the manufacturer's claims. 

Thanks again for your interest,

Michael

• Like 1

S&B just added to their webpage the intakes for 2019 and up GM trucks with both 5.3L and 6.2L. I have used their intakes on my last 3 trucks and they are high quality.  I think they are $399.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
1 hour ago, Rick TB said:

I had the S&B on my 2018 Sierra and loved it. I have it ordered for my 2019 Silverado and it’s been in back order since June 19th. They make an excellent CAI. That’s why I chose it again. It’s just this d@mn pandemic that is holding me up from getting it. Can’t wait though.  For the price I don’t think it can be beat.