In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

I assume the weather app in the '19 Sierra needs data to operate. Will the app still work without the Onstar Data Plan?

You need some sort of wifi.  Hotspot via phone etc.

Is it exclusive to the higher trim level? I have an LT and can't find it

Edited by Moend

I downloaded it via the Infotainment system in the app section along with Pandora, Spotify , IHeart radio etc.

It worked for me when I had the trail data plan, now the only time it will work is if I hotspot my phone to it or when it's in my garage on my home WiFi.

In the K2's it is part of the Sirius/XM package that you have to pay for after your free trial is up.

Edited by JimCost2014

I liked the weather that came with xm travel link a lot better than the weather app

Thanks for all the responses. If connected via car play would that give you the wifi hotspot to run the weather app.?

I don't think Car Play will give you the hotspot.  You need to turn on your phone's hotspot, then connect your vehicle to the phone's wifi.

Thanks for all the responses. If connected via car play would that give you the wifi hotspot to run the weather app.?

I called on star yesterday to subscribe for weather and connected nav. From what the onstar rep told me, you’ll have to purchase an onstar package with the features you want AND a data package to use those features. Your phones WiFi will not work for connected apps. They wanted to charge me $59 (39.99 for onstar and 19.99 for ATT). I passed on that offer. They magically had a rebate for $10 discount. Still wasn’t worth it for me. In previous years siriusxm was the source for nav and traffic but on the newer trucks it’s all onstar. A little too pricey for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have ATT for my cell phone service.  My data plan is a family plan so I can share my data with my truck.  I added my truck to my plan for $10/month.

I have ATT for my cell phone service.  My data plan is a family plan so I can share my data with my truck.  I added my truck to my plan for $10/month.

That’s awesome. Actually worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 hours ago, PhilB said:

I also have ATT. How did you share with your truck? I currently hotspot but it’s a pain in the butt. 

4 hours ago, Bob Ross said:

I also have ATT. How did you share with your truck? I currently hotspot but it’s a pain in the butt. 

I have a 15 Gb Family Plan with Rollover.  I went to the ATT store and had them add my truck to my data plan.  I think they used the vin to find the phone # for the truck.  If you are on an unlimited data plan, you will not be able to add your truck to your existing data plan.