differential fluids

It use to be synthetic in the back and not in the front but now in the new trucks it is synthetic in both.  If you need to look up what yours takes you can do that on this look-up guide.

75w-90 Severe Gear is what I put in both of mine on my 2002 Silverado.  The new squeeze packs make it a breeze and no mess. 

SVGPK.jpg

• Like 2

I believe the last year they included info in the OM was 2018. 

Different weights, but diffs always synthetic.

Transfer case uses Dex VI ATF

Front Axle – Four-Wheel Drive SAE 75W-90 Synthetic Axle Lubricant (GM Part No. 88900401, in Canada 89021678). 

Rear Axle (1500 Series) SAE 75W-85 Synthetic Axle Lubricant (GM Part No. 19300457, in Canada 19300458). 

Rear Axle (2500/3500 Series) SAE 75W-90 Synthetic Axle Lubricant (GM Part No. 88900401, in Canada 89021678). 

Transfer Case (Four-Wheel Drive) DEXRON-VI Automatic Transmission Fluid. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, 19sierra53 said:

I remember in the 2000's trucks were shipped with synthetic fluid in the front or back but not in the other (can't remember which order). I believe it was 75w90. Is that still the case today? Just wondering as there is a lot of rolling resistance when extremely cold

Just as a quick heads up, these new 1500's have 2 different axle manufacturers and call for two different GM fluids.  75w85 is the weight now though.  See the link to the stickied quick reference guide below:

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
On 2/10/2020 at 11:06 AM, redwngr said:

I believe the last year they included info in the OM was 2018. 

Different weights, but diffs always synthetic.

Transfer case uses Dex VI ATF

Front Axle – Four-Wheel Drive SAE 75W-90 Synthetic Axle Lubricant (GM Part No. 88900401, in Canada 89021678). 

Rear Axle (1500 Series) SAE 75W-85 Synthetic Axle Lubricant (GM Part No. 19300457, in Canada 19300458). 

Rear Axle (2500/3500 Series) SAE 75W-90 Synthetic Axle Lubricant (GM Part No. 88900401, in Canada 89021678). 

Transfer Case (Four-Wheel Drive) DEXRON-VI Automatic Transmission Fluid. 

Do you know the capacity for the diff fluid on the 1500? I checked amsoil website but I don’t know which code I have

A22D6840-D2DA-4DE9-A993-6B2C3A597967.png

• 1 year later...
On 2/11/2020 at 8:58 AM, newdude said:

Just as a quick heads up, these new 1500's have 2 different axle manufacturers and call for two different GM fluids.  75w85 is the weight now though.  See the link to the stickied quick reference guide below:

I know this post is quite old but how do you tell which rear axle supplier your truck has? My BIL has a 2020 1500 w/ 5.3 that needs some fluids changed and I have a 2022 1500 w/ LM2 that will need the fluid changed once I am through it's break-in.

10 hours ago, Mossyoakglock said:

I know this post is quite old but how do you tell which rear axle supplier your truck has? My BIL has a 2020 1500 w/ 5.3 that needs some fluids changed and I have a 2022 1500 w/ LM2 that will need the fluid changed once I am through it's break-in.

1 hour ago, seamus2154 said:

I have a 2021 Sierra LM2 and had to give my dealer the vin to get the right rear Diff fluid. There are 2 diffs. I still dont know which one I have...but I got the right fluid.

You would know by looking up your RPO. 😉

I'm waiting to get the RPO build sheet from my dealer since GM apparently can no longer give that information out via Chat. I was hoping there was another way I could tell without RPO codes.

I tried scanning the QR code on the door jam tag to get my RPO codes but that didn't seem to work since it didn't display all of them. Not sure why GM decided to stop putting the RPO codes on the sticker.

Edited by Mossyoakglock

6 hours ago, Mossyoakglock said:

I'm waiting to get the RPO build sheet from my dealer since GM apparently can no longer give that information out via Chat. I was hoping there was another way I could tell without RPO codes.

I tried scanning the QR code on the door jam tag to get my RPO codes but that didn't seem to work since it didn't display all of them. Not sure why GM decided to stop putting the RPO codes on the sticker.

You have a different truck than the 2008 in avatar and In signature?

2008 would have  label in glovebox with rpo's.

If it's a (different and new enough truck enough it will have a QR code on doorpost. 

Has a bunch of the rpo codes that impact service/service parts. (not as many as glovebox label)

May include the axle info. 

Any dealer can print the build sheet from a vin number.

Yea, picked up my 2022.5 Silverado 1500 Z71 w/ LM2 that I ordered at the end of August. I tried to change it the other day but every time I tried to save it, it said the page didn't exist.

I scanned the QR code on the door jam but I think it's missing some RPO codes. When I scanned it, no codes with an S showed up. Will the dealer report have more codes than what the QR code has?

Edited by Mossyoakglock

2 hours ago, Mossyoakglock said:

Yea, picked up my 2022.5 Silverado 1500 Z71 w/ LM2 that I ordered at the end of August. I tried to change it the other day but every time I tried to save it, it said the page didn't exist.

I scanned the QR code on the door jam but I think it's missing some RPO codes. When I scanned it, no codes with an S showed up. Will the dealer report have more codes than what the QR code has?

Yes, a lot more!

• 4 months later...

Im going to take a HUGE chance and run the same thing in both axles.....🙄

What mentally deficient group of designers at GM thought it would be cool to make them that close, BUT different!? Unbelievable. 

Edited by Minnvmax

3 hours ago, Minnvmax said:

Im going to take a HUGE chance and run the same thing in both axles.....🙄

What mentally deficient group of designers at GM thought it would be cool to make them that close, BUT different!? Unbelievable. 

Living on the edge there! lol