Speed Limited ???????

Quick question. I have a 2017 Sierra w a 6.2L . Opened it up on a open roadway and hit approximately 100MPH when it wouldn't pull anymore. Is it possible it has a speed limiter on it ????

Thanks in advance.

Quick question. I have a 2017 Sierra w a 6.2L . Opened it up on a open roadway and hit approximately 100MPH when it wouldn't pull anymore. Is it possible it has a speed limiter on it ????
Thanks in advance.

I've heard they were. Never had mine past 90.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

It's not that's possible, it's that it's a 100% fact that it's speed limited.

95% of the limiters are 98mph, so once you bumped over that it stops you.

This is for several reasons. One being that the factory tires have speed ratings and most aren't that much over 100mph and the other one is that the factory driveshaft is not rated above 100mph. They are tons on threads and some cool youtube video's of stock driveshafts exploding on the dyno or the street.

When they grenade the results aren't pretty, broken transmission housings, dented bed floors and damaged fuel tanks.

• Like 2

If one wants to go over 100 mph I guess that is their prerogative. I personally out grew that desire years ago and think that it is for the most part stupid unless it is on an approved course with the appropriate safety measures in place.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jlong1984 said:

The T1s will do over 100, they're limited to 113 MPH I believe. Sounds like it's time to trade up OP. :driving:

Some will. It depends on the vehicle package and tires installed. Many are still limited to 98mph.

I've heard it depends on the speed rating of the tires that came from the factory, and it also has to do with if it is a 4x4 or not.  there have been reports of 140ish MPH Top speed with the limiter removed by a programmer on the half tons.  Then you need more HP to overcome the aerodynamic brick you are driving, and also hope that the transmission, drive shaft, and axles don't blow up because they were not engineered to go that fast. 

12 hours ago, Phil Mac said:

Thanks in advance.

My 2014 5.3L was limited to 98.  My 2018 5.3L has a limit beyond what I have been comfortable pushing the truck to so far.

I’m definitely not one for unsafe high speed driving. I’ve been out west we’re the limits are high. I remember being on back roads in the pine barrens in NJ. My father driving 1970 CST 400 small block P/U on miles of deserted open road, with the speedometer coming back around to zero. Him saying keep an eye out for deer. With a big old smile on his face, that didn’t come often. Risky you bet. I don’t want big brother telling me you can’t, I want the choice. The stretch of road is just as barren. I can imagine my fathers response if his new 6.2 10 speed truck shut down at 99 MPH.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The way the vehicle is equipped varies and so does the speed limiter.  2019 Silverado crew cab short bed 5.3L 8speed with 17 inch wheels limited to 98MPH.  2017 Silverado WT 4x4 crew cab, 17 inch wheels 5.3L 6speed did 106MPH.

2020 K2XX police package Tahoe has no electronic limiter and with 5.3L/6speed/3.08 (2WD version) does 139 and if I remember correctly, acheives this speed at the top of 4th gear.  I doubt a half ton truck would be able to acheive faster than that unless is was a 6.2L.

Edited by 9c1fanatic