Speed Limited ???????

On 2/26/2020 at 1:23 AM, Colossus said:

I've heard it depends on the speed rating of the tires that came from the factory, and it also has to do with if it is a 4x4 or not.  there have been reports of 140ish MPH Top speed with the limiter removed by a programmer on the half tons.  Then you need more HP to overcome the aerodynamic brick you are driving, and also hope that the transmission, drive shaft, and axles don't blow up because they were not engineered to go that fast. 

They are engineered to go that fast.  The limiting factors that govern top speed are the critical speed rating of the driveshaft and the tires.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/25/2020 at 6:53 PM, Phil Mac said:

Quick question. I have a 2017 Sierra w a 6.2L ....

On 3/3/2020 at 10:37 AM, 9c1fanatic said:

...I doubt a half ton truck would be able to acheive faster than that unless is was a 6.2L.

I feel your pain. My ‘18 6.2 cuts out before 100. I know the reasons why (tire speed ratings & driveshaft critical speed) but I feel it is an unsafe way GM does it. When you are driving on a 70mph road & someone is going driving erratically, weaving, doesn’t maintain a set speed & often drops under 60Mph, when you finally get to a passing zone without traffic coming the other way you punch it to go around, but before you finish the pass the limiter kicks in cutting off the power until you drop down a bit. Sometimes the other driver speeds up as you’re trying to pass. And other cars are coming at you head on. Your only option is to get back behind this dangerous driver. GM governors have been like that for a long time. The best solution I’ve found is to let up & maintain the speed just below the cut off until you are able to return to your lane.

My Mom’s old Mercedes S-Class with the governor set at 130mph would let you get to the governor, but instead of cutting out it simply maintains the speed at 130. 

Yes this is true and happens a lot depending on where in the country you live.  There are a lot of 2 lane roads in Texas with 70MPH and 75MPH speed limits.  Really bites when your behind a gravel hauler doing 68 MPH and a nice passing zone comes up.  Most passenger cars that have limiters because of tires etc are set around 110MPH which is a lot more practical for passing safely in some scenarios.  Its nice that RAM trucks have a bit more speed in them.  Been that way for a while.  I bet its a combination of engineering recommendations and the company lawyers.

Are you guys saying that it's safer to pass someone at 28-50mph above the posted speed limit?

How is that safer? That just sounds completely stupid. If someone is being so crazy in front of you I wouldn't even attempt to pass them for fear of them trying to do something dumb, makes more sense to just back off and create distance between you and them.

Since when has 10-15mph not been enough to pass someone in a small amount of time?

Edited by CamGTP
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

When I pass I accelerate until I’m just about there. On a 75 mph road you hit the limiter pretty fast. Every truck I’ve owned I eliminated the limiter. Some passing zones it Texas are quite short. Passing a tractor trailer you can get to a pretty high speed quick. Nothing more unsettling than hitting the limiter. I’ve seen 120 easily while passing. Easy to do with the horsepower these days. Texas and west there’s plenty of high speed roads 120 from 85 happens quick. If you can’t handle it stay on your 65 mph east coast roads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 2/26/2020 at 10:44 AM, It's Tim said:

Only a limit if someones around to enforce it.

Take it in for warranty work, they'll pull the black box data and deny your claim, because you've been "racing".  Unless you're EMS or Law Enforcement.  

People may be more sane up here in the midwest. Speed limits top out at 70mph here and county roads are 55-65mph, people seem to pass me doing 10-15 over the limit just fine when I'm in my work truck. Never seen someone try to blast by me doing 100-120mph on a two lane road.

• Like 1

I guess it's coming from the same people who can't merge onto a highway without 500+ HP...

so long
j-ten-ner

Yea baby, talk about liberating. Woohoo. I’m not into speeding as a rule. I don’t like restrictions. You give me 400 HP a sun roof, rain sensing wipers etc. Tires and a drive shaft that can’t handle 99 MPH. Something wrong with that. I can count on one hand the number of times I exceeded 99 MPH since 40 years old. Each time mostly there was a good reason. A couple times life saving. Yea, I know I could have followed the tractor trailer another 20 miles at 60 MPH in a 75. The guy who pull out of his driveway should have looked too. There’s no way brake checking would have done the job. It was a passing zone. There’s arguments for both sides. You have to live and drive in high speed areas to understand mine.

[emoji23]
I grew up in Germany. 
Just saying. 

So long
j-ten-ner

I know. I grew up in New Jersey. Mostly small two lane roads with telephone poles at the edge of the black tops. The good roads were gravel over oil. Barely enough room for the sixties and seventies cars I grew up with to pass. 25-35-45-50 miles per hour. Then a small town rinse, repeat. The NJ turnpike and Garden state parkway were the highways 55 MPH. Yahoo. Imagine driving Chevelles, GTOS, Nova SSs on those. We did it. Even race OMG. Lucky we had Actco and English-town raceway. I moved to Texas with those open roads and higher speed limits. Heaven. Just driving back in the day on Jersey roads with the big cars at 45 MPH. Wonder we lived. The vehicles today, the tire technology, the handling packages even on trucks. Piece of cake.

3 hours ago, KARNUT said:

I know. I grew up in New Jersey. Mostly small two lane roads with telephone poles at the edge of the black tops. The good roads were gravel over oil. Barely enough room for the sixties and seventies cars I grew up with to pass. 25-35-45-50 miles per hour. Then a small town rinse, repeat. The NJ turnpike and Garden state parkway were the highways 55 MPH. Yahoo. Imagine driving Chevelles, GTOS, Nova SSs on those. We did it. Even race OMG. Lucky we had Actco and English-town raceway. I moved to Texas with those open roads and higher speed limits. Heaven. Just driving back in the day on Jersey roads with the big cars at 45 MPH. Wonder we lived. The vehicles today, the tire technology, the handling packages even on trucks. Piece of cake.

This exchange goes to.....drum roll please.....j-ten-ner!!

:rollin:

3 hours ago, j-ten-ner said:

?

I grew up in Germany. 

Just saying. 

So long

j-ten-ner

Get yourself a handheld diablo I3.  Gets rid of speed limiter if you want it to.  That’s the biggest reason I got mine.  I wouldn’t have beat the Ford Raptor I raced if I didn’t have it.  That was another time I got going a 130ish.  

I did the Richard Petty driving experience in Vegas. My wife surprise me for our 25th. Then I stayed at the holiday inn express. I win.[emoji471]

• Like 1