$970 Borla Paper Weight

It all started when after months of searching and reviewing, I decided to pull the trigger on GM Borla Performance exhaust. I have 2017 Crew Cab Short box with 6.2 so ordered part# 19303345 (dual side exit).  Searched around on-line and found the cheapest price of $970 + free shipping (not including tips) from GM Parts Warehouse.   Fast forward a few weeks and it arrives... here's where my major mistake lies. Due to the size of the box it came in I took the contents out put in my garage shelf and threw out the box.   Everything visually looks fine, so the following weekend when I get to putting the exhaust on I hack off the stock exhaust and then when I try to bolt up the new one quickly realize  it doesn't fit!  The front pipe that connects to the cat is about two inches too short and the pipe diameter is only 3 inch when it should be 3.5 inch (pictures below) So now I have the stock exhaust cut off with no new exhaust to put back on.  Luckily I was able to run down to a local shop and they were able to weld my hacked up stock exhaust back on.

I know 100% I ordered the right part # and the receipt shows the same, but obviously they sent me the wrong one, and stupid me never even looked at what the box said, I was just so excited to get it.  So now I have exhaust the doesn't' fit, and don't have the original packaging or any proof they sent me the wrong parts.  Same day, I called and left a voice mail and followed up with an e-mail explaining my situation and never heard back. Left few more messages and follow up e-mails and never heard back, as if they completely vanished.  

My problem now is I'm out $970 and have a brand new Borla exhaust system sitting in my garage that doesn't fit and can't do anything with it and what seems as no recourse to get it corrected.  Curious for any words of wisdom anyone may have.  If anyone is interested I can take measurements, and pictures and be willing to let it go at a decent price, looks like it should fit 5.3?.  All the parts are there including clamps but just doesn't fit my CC 6.2.  

Gap at front connection to cat.

image.thumb.png.cae4dcc1ac6701cf2882340d58d51943.png

New Borla Exhaust = 3 Inch

image.png.6d8be8151ab2c61930bc1e16e56fcac5.png

Stock Exhaust = 3.5 inch 

image.png.4fe6d59a16d354e6753981958e16e3ce.png

Looks like this may be for a 2019+ 5.3L as they come with 3" pipes before the muffler.

Did you pay with a CC? If so, contest it with your credit card company. Otherwise, contact borla to see if they can help you out. 

Last resort, take it to a muffler shop and have them make you a 3.5" pipe to fit.

I ordered my Borla off eBay and same thing they sent the wrong one. Of course didn't realize until I went to install it.

I almost cut mine off too. Took a week to get the new one.

As far as yours man I hate to say it but you have to figure out what system you got. Then sell it. GM parts don't want it back without the box that's why they give you crickets.

Go get a pipe and two clamps and patch yours back together and order a new system but not a GM system made for GM by Borla . Order a Borla system. Here is the cheapest place.

https://rcagarage.com/

There's always eBay too.

Edited by dieselfan1

5 minutes ago, Mike GMC said:

If the kit you have is in fact for a different vehicle, maybe you can sell it to someone who can use it?

No doubt it's sellable right here on this site. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 3tspapat said:

Looks like this may be for a 2019+ 5.3L as they come with 3" pipes before the muffler.

Did you pay with a CC? If so, contest it with your credit card company. Otherwise, contact borla to see if they can help you out. 

Last resort, take it to a muffler shop and have them make you a 3.5" pipe to fit.

Yes, I was thinking the same thing, maybe this is for a 2019 with 5.3?  That would explain the slight difference in length not mating up to the flange at the cat?  It's a GM part so it has to go to some variety of the Silverado/Sierra likely with 5.3 based on the 3 inch size.

I did pay with a credit card and actually never thought about disputing it.  I may consider that, thanks for the advice.

I may take it to a muffler shop and see what they can do but the whole point was to have something quality mandrel bent, stainless with no welds to rust out .  But on the other hand something is better than nothing at this point considering I have almost $1,000 into it already. I thought about contacting Borla directly but none of the pieces have any part numbers stamped on them or any type of identifiers. 

1 hour ago, dieselfan1 said:

After looking into this it looks like Borla only made the straight out the back on the touring. No side exit.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/153659792910

Yes that's correct if you order the non GM version.  The GM version is offered in dual side exit, This is GM part# 19303345, here's a link to it on the GMC accessory site.   From what I can tell the only difference is this has the flapper built into it where the other non GM version does not. 

If anyone would like pictures or measurements or make an offer, just send me a PM. All brand new clamps included, I have two Chrome tips for it as well. 

12 minutes ago, 508gm1 said:

Buy the kit again from the same supplier. Hopefully they send the right one. Put all the wrong stuff back in the box and return. Dishonest? I am conflicted. 

I sort of like that idea, except then somebody else will be in this same situation as I am, who ever they resell it to later, and I couldn't get my self to do that.  Also they know I have this already and sent them a very long email(s) explaining so they might be suspicious of it...

I would find a bender let them install it. I’ve only used a bender never had a problem. I only went mail order once with banks. Couldn’t get the size I wanted at my bender. I would never go full exhaust on these new trucks they flow just fine stock. Just add the muffler with your choice of sound. I never paid but a few hundred for tuned exhaust from my bender up to true duals. People are getting ripped off with mail order exhaust. You don’t need it. Find a good bender stop getting ripped off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would find a bender let them install it. I’ve only used a bender never had a problem. I only went mail order once with banks. Couldn’t get the size I wanted at my bender. I would never go full exhaust on these new trucks they flow just fine stock. Just add the muffler with your choice of sound. I never paid but a few hundred for tuned exhaust from my bender up to true duals. People are getting ripped off with mail order exhaust. You don’t need it. Find a good bender stop getting ripped off.

Exactly. A good local shop can get it done and you can get whatever muffler you want. This is exactly how everyone of my exhausts have been done.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Exactly. A good local shop can get it done and you can get whatever muffler you want. This is exactly how everyone of my exhausts have been done.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

I’ve been doing for 40 years in three different states so good benders are out there. I’ve run quad exhaust for racing. Two full length with mufflers and two open with flange caps coming out in front of the tires. My brother has been running the exact exhaust on his little red express truck for 30 years. I suggested it so he wouldn’t have to go under his truck to uncap the headers. Benders can do all that cheaper than mail order.

• 7 months later...

Thought I'd share an update. Fast forward 7 months and finally did get my money back for the first exhaust. (Long story there..)  Then re-ordered but this time directly through local GMC dealer.  When it arrived low and behold it was the exact same as the first one.  This time I was having the dealer do the installation incase there were any fitment issues and I asked them to double check the fitment and they were able to bolt it up fine.

So what I really don't understand is how can stock pipe be 3.5 and this only be 3 inch (pictures above) and have any better performance or exhaust flow?  The flange up near the cat also is smaller and doesn't fit quite the same, and the front hanger is tilted more sideways now but it is on.  This makes me think it's really made for the 5.3... BUT I now also have two different systems ordered at different times from different places that were both identical. Which is giving me mixed signals on weather it's actually right or not?

I can't find any specifics on what pipe size it's supposed to be but when I look on Borla's site directly their systems for the 6.2 clearly say 3.5 inch.  Anyone know the specs on what the pipe size should be for PN# 19303345 from the cat up to the muffler?  

End result is it's on, dealer installed, looks amazing and sounds equally as good, so as long as it's not increasing backpressure or decreasing performance should be fine, but is really bugging me not knowing weather it's right or not.  

6 hours ago, reardiff said:

Thought I'd share an update. Fast forward 7 months and finally did get my money back for the first exhaust. (Long story there..)  Then re-ordered but this time directly through local GMC dealer.  When it arrived low and behold it was the exact same as the first one.  This time I was having the dealer do the installation incase there were any fitment issues and I asked them to double check the fitment and they were able to bolt it up fine.

So what I really don't understand is how can stock pipe be 3.5 and this only be 3 inch (pictures above) and have any better performance or exhaust flow?  The flange up near the cat also is smaller and doesn't fit quite the same, and the front hanger is tilted more sideways now but it is on.  This makes me think it's really made for the 5.3... BUT I now also have two different systems ordered at different times from different places that were both identical. Which is giving me mixed signals on weather it's actually right or not?

I can't find any specifics on what pipe size it's supposed to be but when I look on Borla's site directly their systems for the 6.2 clearly say 3.5 inch.  Anyone know the specs on what the pipe size should be for PN# 19303345 from the cat up to the muffler?  

End result is it's on, dealer installed, looks amazing and sounds equally as good, so as long as it's not increasing backpressure or decreasing performance should be fine, but is really bugging me not knowing weather it's right or not.  

I can't speak to the GM performance exhaust but I just put a Borla Touring with dual rear exit on my truck.  The pipe was 3.5" on my Borla for the flange that mates with then end of the catalytic converter.  The 5.3 is suppose to only have the 3" flange, which I found out when trying to buy a new flange clamp since mine broken when trying to get it off.  I got the 3" clamp first not knowing there was a difference and then had to go back and get the correct 3.5" clamp for my truck.  So my guess is you were send the 5.3 version of the exhaust since it has the 3" flange.