Transmission Poll  

44 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2019 5.3 with 8 speed 4,300 miles and it is a lot better than in the previous gen trucks.  The only issue I have had is a rare very hard jerk putting the truck in drive.  I’ve been going through neighborhoods slow house shopping.  This jerk has happened a few times when I stop and put it in park to look at a house then put it in drive and it jerks hard.  Pretty rare occurrence and haven’t taken it in to a dealership since I already know the answer (could not replicate).  Other than these about 4 occurrences the transmission has been excellent.  

Edited by Ranger522vx
  • Like 1

I traded mine after a year, not directly related to the jerky shifting, but it was annoying. The worst was making a right hand turn onto the main road by my house, I would coast the right hand turn when it was clear, then hit the gas and nothing would happen. It was an annoyingly long delay before the truck would respond. 

Mine stayed in 2nd gear - happened at 25,000km. Was initially told it required trans replacement but ended up being faulty connectors and shorted shift control module. Replaced ECM and shift module and it has been fine since. Overall I am happy with 8spd

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not wasting my time on this one. How many of these useless polls with anecdotal stories which provide no useful info? Obtain relevant data if you expect a poll that can be of use in zeroing in on a possible problem and the just attracting the same bunch of detractors and proponents. Want info then get info that is useful. Here's what I'd like to see:

First you need a header listing the actual number of 19s and the number of 20s with the three types of transmissions and tranny/engine combos to put place things in perspective and give relevance to the poll.

THEN use check off buttons to indicate

Tranny/engine combination

Country of Assembly/Origin    1= US or 3 = Mexico

Purchased new, or used (more than 1K miles)

Month/yr of manufacture (from driver's door tag)

Original factory fluid (8 speeds only)  pre 3/19 = Dextron VI; post 3/19 = Mobil 1 HP

Mileage of failure

Types of failure:

Engine light ON or OFF?

Evidence of transmission fluid leakage?

------------

Overnight first hard cold shift and list tranny temperature above or below 80F

Delay before gear engagement after shifting

Hang before shifting

Slippage, engine flare and delayed shift

Failure to shift and stuck in 2nd

Failure to shift gears

Engine revs with no movement when placed in gear

Satisfactory dealer repair?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Thomcat said:

Not wasting my time on this one. How many of these useless polls with anecdotal stories which provide no useful info? Obtain relevant data if you expect a poll that can be of use in zeroing in on a possible problem and the just attracting the same bunch of detractors and proponents. Want info then get info that is useful. Here's what I'd like to see:

First you need a header listing the actual number of 19s and the number of 20s with the three types of transmissions and tranny/engine combos to put place things in perspective and give relevance to the poll.

Original factory fluid (8 speeds only)  pre 3/19 = Dextron VI; post 3/19 = Mobil 1 HP

Mileage of failure

Types of failure:

Engine light ON or OFF?

------------

Hang before shifting

Failure to shift gears

and yet you have the time to write all that out, dont like it move along, I dont need to hear you blapper on, this is a simple poll.

• Haha 1

I have a 2020 5.3 with an 8 spd and approximately 2k miles.  I have have had zero issues, it shifts like butter.  I didn't do the poll because there was no selection for an 8 speed with no issues.

Edited by Gangly
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Thomcat said:

Mileage of failure

Types of failure:

Engine light ON or OFF?

------------

Hang before shifting

Failure to shift gears

8L90 never came with DexronVI. Theres been 3 different iteration of fluid for the 8L90. All HP, First was ACDelco HP ATF fluid, then grey label Mobil one HP ATF, then blue label Mobil one HP ATF.

2different fluids for the 2019 model.

I totally understand where you are comming from. this poll is not that good. it needs more info like you provided. 

Edited by BlancoSilverado

1 hour ago, BlancoSilverado said:

8L90 never came with DexronVI. Theres been 3 different iteration of fluid for the 8L90. All HP, First was ACDelco HP ATF fluid, then grey label Mobil one HP ATF, then blue label Mobil one HP ATF.

2different fluids for the 2019 model.

I totally understand where you are comming from. this poll is not that good. it needs more info like you provided. 

Then stop posting in it, its for my own opinion, dont like it just dont post here go on with your life, this isnt a scientific poll its not gonna have variables. 

• Confused 2

My 2015 6.2L with 8 speed was horrible. Clanking, hard shifts, jumping while at stop sign with brakes pressed. Had it in the shop time and time again, fixed with software, 1 month later hard jerky clunking was back. I would never, ever... purchase another with an 8 speed, ever. Now I have the 10 speed, it is like night and day difference. So far so good, the 10 speed is like butter compared. Happy camper now, hoping all stays well!!! 

Mike

I know its early in the game for me but if it helps...2019 with 5.3 and 8 spd with 4200K .  July '19 build south of the border and so far muy bueno.  No tranny issues detected.  I did have a recall done last month but no actual issues prior or after the recall was performed.

6 hours ago, mikedege said:

My 2015 6.2L with 8 speed was horrible. Clanking, hard shifts, jumping while at stop sign with brakes pressed. Had it in the shop time and time again, fixed with software, 1 month later hard jerky clunking was back. I would never, ever... purchase another with an 8 speed, ever. Now I have the 10 speed, it is like night and day difference. So far so good, the 10 speed is like butter compared. Happy camper now, hoping all stays well!!! 

Mike

Ya this is what I'm looking at with the baby dmax.  Thanks to everyone that has responded to this poll

Brand new 2020 10 speed - two weeks after taking delivery, major trans leak...dealer says it is the torque converter seal, and the parts are on National Backorder!  Truck has been there over a week, and his best guess is "a few more weeks probably"...such BS.