I have had my new AT4 with the 3.0 diesel for less than a week.  Put 500 miles on the truck  mainly on the highway bringing back home from the dealership.  My wife drive the truck home and stunk up the whole garage with a hot smell.  Pulled the truck out of the garage and got an emission error code that stated limited speed would be allowed in 179 miles.  Took it to the local dealer.  The dealer pulled the code and sent it to GM and they would not release the part without the code repeating.  Said the code was a valve in the emission system.   Left the car with the dealer and they drove it and the code reappeared.  The dealer stated gm engineering is very interested in the issue but still have not release the part.    So I have a brand new truck I can't use.  My buddy tried to talk me into the RAM diesel.  Maybe should have listened.  More than a little frustrated that a $60000+ truck can't get repaired.  Anyone else with this issue.

OK, the stink is from a DEF regeneration. Its going to happen about every 500 miles and after about 3000 miles it will reduce greatly. Now do you have a loaner car if not demand one.

Most states have a 30 day out of service lemon law clause that basically makes GM buy the truck back. (ask me why I know) I have about 3500 miles on my 3.0L with no issues at all except a recall. If your truck is stranded for more than 3 weeks apply to the BBB autoline and file a buyback claim. You will be shocked how quickly your car will be repaired. Please keep us up to date it will help all 3.0L owners here.

Edited by ILSilverado

21 hours ago, Mountainbound said:

I have had my new AT4 with the 3.0 diesel for less than a week.  Put 500 miles on the truck  mainly on the highway bringing back home from the dealership.  My wife drive the truck home and stunk up the whole garage with a hot smell.  Pulled the truck out of the garage and got an emission error code that stated limited speed would be allowed in 179 miles.  Took it to the local dealer.  The dealer pulled the code and sent it to GM and they would not release the part without the code repeating.  Said the code was a valve in the emission system.   Left the car with the dealer and they drove it and the code reappeared.  The dealer stated gm engineering is very interested in the issue but still have not release the part.    So I have a brand new truck I can't use.  My buddy tried to talk me into the RAM diesel.  Maybe should have listened.  More than a little frustrated that a $60000+ truck can't get repaired.  Anyone else with this issue.

Your buddy must not realize just what junk the Ram Ecodiesel is. Legendary for bearing failures and emissions equipment failures. Then FCA was caught putting defeat devices in the computer code, they were sued, and the government forced them to remove the emissions cheats. Trucks with the emissions system "fix" drive like crap and the emissions systems fail even more often than before. FCA never has discussed what they did with the latest version of the Ecodiesel to beef up the bottom end, suggesting that they didn't do much. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
OK, the stink is from a DEF regeneration. Its going to happen about every 500 miles and after about 3000 miles it will reduce greatly. Now do you have a loaner car if not demand one.
Most states have a 30 day out of service lemon law clause that basically makes GM buy the truck back. (ask me why I know) I have about 3500 miles on my 3.0L with no issues at all except a recall. If your truck is stranded for more than 3 weeks apply to the BBB autoline and file a buyback claim. You will be shocked how quickly your car will be repaired. Please keep us up to date it will help all 3.0L owners here.
It's def injection not regeneration. Regeneration is when the engine squirts fuel during the exhaust stroke to heat up the DPF to burn away the soot.

DEF gets injected into the scr to control emissions until the vehicle is up to temp. Or whenever the sensor detects excessive amounts of Nox are being created.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Probably a typo.

It's the DPF  (diesel particulate filter) that requires regeneration.

Extra fuel injected to heat the filter and burn out the soot. 

On new vehicles it is common for the first few regenerations to have the created in the exhaust cause burnoff of material on the outside of the exhaust. 

DEF (diesel exhaust fluid) is used in a chemical reaction to reduce the NOx in the exhaust.

NOx is generated whenever a diesel is running -- so DEF is injected whenever it is running.

The amount of DEF will be proportional to the amount of fuel.  When the engine is working hard and using more fuel, it will also be using more DEF.

If it still stinks (or worse smokes) after the first few regenerations then it likely is in need of repair. 

Probably a typo.

It's the DPF  (diesel particulate filter) that requires regeneration.
Extra fuel injected to heat the filter and burn out the soot. 
On new vehicles it is common for the first few regenerations to have the created in the exhaust cause burnoff of material on the outside of the exhaust. 

DEF (diesel exhaust fluid) is used in a chemical reaction to reduce the NOx in the exhaust.
NOx is generated whenever a diesel is running -- so DEF is injected whenever it is running.
The amount of DEF will be proportional to the amount of fuel.  When the engine is working hard and using more fuel, it will also be using more DEF.

If it still stinks (or worse smokes) after the first few regenerations then it likely is in need of repair. 

I have a 3 .0 and I can see when it's regenerating or not on the scanner.

the noxious eye burning fumes is from the def injection at idle. the 3.0 does not have the ability to self regenerate at idle, like the big trucks.

It is possible that she pulled into the garage during a regen but the 3.0 can't really regen itself unless you're at a constant speed above 40 because it can't get its DPF temp high enough.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

On 3/27/2020 at 5:33 PM, Mountainbound said:

What code(s) did the dealer find in it?  

• 2 weeks later...

So I have just over 6k on mine and have had a problem with excess regens since new. I started logging the mileage at approx 2k miles. I get between 150 and 300 miles between regens and my mpg averages 25. My driving is basically all hwy (90/10). I have the 2wd, which is rated 23 city/33 hwy. I just came from the Colorado Duramax and I averaged 28 mpg over 92k miles. That Duramax was rated at 31 hwy. Since my driving style hasn't changed, I figure I should be averaging 30 mpg instead of 25. 

I took it to the dealer last week and they kept it for a few days only to call me back and say that they couldn't find anything wrong - SHOCKER!!!  I monitor everything, including regens on a live OBDII program, so I can see regens start and complete. The truck wasn't throwing a code (which I told them they wouldn't find) and all they could figure was that I shut off the truck before completing the regen. The service writer to his credit told me he knows that sounds ridiculous because he knows I drive all highway miles. I had told them to contact the engineering team at GM since this is a new engine, but they didn't. They just performed a forced regen and told me to see if anything changes. 

I told them that some have had exhaust control valve problems and to please look into that. No word on whether they did that or not because the tech was out sick and didn't complete his notes in the system (this dealer's service dept has gone to crap). Anyway, just wanted to throw this out there to see if there are any similarities and for anyone's input. The mpg thing really chaps me. I was expecting 30 like everyone else. No luck.

• 10 months later...
  • 5 months later...

June-August 2021 In Austin, Texas,

I purchased a new 2021 Chevy Suburban RST with the 3.0 L Duramax June 2021. Had near immediate engine light with the exhaust warnings (next day). The codes and software were reset, went home.

Then again about 80 miles later. Same updates/resets. Then again about 280 more miles. Dealer replaced the DEF Tank/Module with sensors and fluid, reset/reprogram. Fourth time about 1000 miles later. Waiting for three weeks with my truck in their parking lot. They are going to put the third Tank/Module/Sensors/Fluid and reset/reprogram again. 

They have had my vehicle more than I have. They gave me three loaners, a Bolt, a Trax, and a Colorado. Once spent day without a loaner. They are still waiting to "find out" when they will get the new Tank/Module due to chip shortage.

Anyone else having the issue still?

Stingray

• 5 months later...

Went to purchase 1500 Silverado 3.0 diesel and check engine light came on. They put in service and checked codes called GM it is some kind of def problem half power condition said would take three months to get parts. Told them to call when straightened up. The search goes on.

• 2 months later...

I had this same issue with a 2020 silverado 1500 rst 3.0. It happened every 500 to 1500 miles like clock work. They replaced the sensor in it everytime and it would work for a gas tank before doing it again. The engine is junk. More accurately the fuel management system is junk, which is why the new models do not have an available option for this system (which is why it was able to get up to 30mog when it worked). I had to call the attorney General and sue General motors bc they could not fix it. Once I did that they settled very fast. In the end I got all my money back plus an extra 10,000 with the repurchase. I had to deal with this for 1.5 years before it was resolved. It is unfortunate bc beside that it was hands down the best truck I ever owned. I will never buy that truck again. It was such a horrible experience all the way around. I asked them to replace the truck 6 months in after being there 7 times. They refused. I just bought a f150 larriet with the 3.5 powerboost twin turbo gas engine. It has more power, just as good fuel efficiency and I paid less money for more options. It was hard, the new interior of the Chevy is so much better now and the exterior is hands down the best looking truck. But I can't get past that I spent 65k on a truck that was broke tmthe entire time I owned it and the hoops they forced me to jump through to resolve it. So I'm a Ford guy again. I suggest either get a gas truck until they sort this new engine out or go with a more dependable brand.