GM disappointingly small fuel tanks continue

On 4/9/2020 at 5:18 PM, Like-A-Rock44 said:

A Honda Ridgeline maybe a better fit for you it has a small fuel tank too! it will be great for you because you get to stop fill up all the time. Keep in mind a Tesla has a short range too with a long charge time. This forum is for serious truck enthusiasts you may have better luck pushing your small tank justification somewhere else. Long hauls, heavy towing, even the soccer moms likes a large fuel tank so your not wasting time at the pump. The Chevy 24 gallon tank is just too small for Truck Enthusiasts! Lets make a good truck great GM needs a large fuel tank option! 

This kid is single-handedly proving that there really is nothing to do in Wyoming.  

• Like 1

Good news for those who care--Titan is looking at making a bigger tank for the CCSB 3.0 Duramax.  I of course get this info as I inch toward a CCLB on the lot :(.  Of course I could turn that CCLB into an effective CCSB by adding a tank and bringing myself up to 70 gallons total.  

If the 2021 F150 offers an update to the 3.0 powerstroke that offers the 36 gallon tank and a payload equal to GM's mini-diesels, I'll probably head that way.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, LDM said:

Regardless of whether someone owns a truck to just drive it around like a car or use it to tow/haul, what difference does that make to you?  You keep pretending GM gas tanks are small yet they aren't any smaller than the Ford or RAM offerings.  2020 RAM 1500 has a 23 gallon tank, no options for a larger one.  2020 Ford 150 has a 23 gallon tank standard with an option for a 36 gallon tank.  Silverado/GMC 1500 are 24 gallon tanks.  Gee, looks like GM has a 1 gallon larger thank by default than Ford or RAM.  Not that 1 gallon really makes any difference.

I use my truck to tow and haul plenty of stuff yet the 24 gallon tank is more than sufficient for what I do.  I don't do much in the way of long distance towing but even if I need to, its not like I can't stop at a gas station and fill up as needed.  While I'm sure there are people who might use the larger tank, most people don't drive 300+ mile distances towing with a 1500 truck.  If you are doing that you probably bought a 2500/3500 with a diesel.  There is a lot more to designing and building a truck than just a large fuel tank.  You want a big fuel tank?  Buy a truck with dual tanks.

Wrong F150 has a 26 gallon tank standard with a 36 gallon option, Rams tank is also 26 gallon. Ford super duty also offers a 48 gallon tank and Ram has a 50 gallon option. GM bumps there 2500 up to 36 gallons but they are still bottom of the pack in the 3/4 ton. Chevy and GMC don’t offer an option for a larger tank but they need too.

On 4/10/2020 at 8:48 PM, 3737 said:

Trump rolls back fuel economy standards and emissions standards. 

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/business/autos/2020/03/31/trump-rolls-back-obama-mpg-rules/5093643002/

There ya go, can cut out the beuqacratic bs and engineer the best truck, no excuses

Yep! good read Thanks 

So they increase the fuel mileage and reduce the fuel tank. I’ve never been able to last a fuel load with out stopping. Unless pulling I’d usually see 400 until empty. In my trip vehicles I wouldn’t be all that excited carrying more gas than that . My 3/4 ton pulling diesels I just added a tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 4/17/2020 at 7:05 AM, swathdiver said:

Yes!  When you're competing against Ford and Ram, if you want a higher payload capacity, you want your rig to weigh less than the competition.  Curb weight includes a full tank of fuel.  In sales literature, the payload is based on a truck with no options.  My truck has 158 pounds of options which reduces its payload capacity as much down to 1499 pounds.

Both Ford and Ram offer optional larger fuel tanks. They are getting the best of both, payload based on smaller tank, optional larger tank if you want/need it. I guess my question is why does GM not offer an optional larger fuel tank?

• Like 1

21 hours ago, 3737 said:

Both Ford and Ram offer optional larger fuel tanks. They are getting the best of both, payload based on smaller tank, optional larger tank if you want/need it. I guess my question is why does GM not offer an optional larger fuel tank?

Well, maybe the bean counters at GM reckon it's not a good profit center.  Probably not enough people want the larger tank compared to what it would cost to make it happen?

The argument "you need to go to the bathroom anyways" is bunk.  The additional range means for lunch you stop where you want to eat on a cross country tow instead of stopping for gas and food (not always the same exit).  I've had the pleasure of towing with a 22-26 gallon tank and with 115 gallons total between expanded main and aux tank - it spoiled me even with a smallish trailer.  Having a smaller tank, hitting headwinds, etc just isn't fun.  With the 115 gallons we fueled where we wanted and when we wanted.  Skip over two states for cheaper gas? no problem.  Choose where you eat by what you want to eat, not what is close to cheap fuel.  

• Like 5

On 4/17/2020 at 1:10 PM, MaverickZ71 said:

This kid is single-handedly proving that there really is nothing to do in Wyoming.  

That's a little harsh. I take it you've never been to Wyoming. Even along I-80 there aren't that many fuel stops, let alone getting into the interior. Nothing to do in Wyoming? Ever hear of Yellowstone Park, Devils Tower? Course maybe you're a city dweller with a gas station on every corner and fixated on Brokeback Mtn.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, ChuckTaylor said:

The argument "you need to go to the bathroom anyways" is bunk.  The additional range means for lunch you stop where you want to eat on a cross country tow instead of stopping for gas and food (not always the same exit).  I've had the pleasure of towing with a 22-26 gallon tank and with 115 gallons total between expanded main and aux tank - it spoiled me even with a smallish trailer.  Having a smaller tank, hitting headwinds, etc just isn't fun.  With the 115 gallons we fueled where we wanted and when we wanted.  Skip over two states for cheaper gas? no problem.  Choose where you eat by what you want to eat, not what is close to cheap fuel.  

Yes Sir! Large tanks are the best. Ram and Ford offer larger tanks GM gives no option for a larger tank. 

On 4/20/2020 at 7:12 AM, swathdiver said:

Well, maybe the bean counters at GM reckon it's not a good profit center.  Probably not enough people want the larger tank compared to what it would cost to make it happen?

I don’t think there is much cost to using the 26 gallon tank they already had, down sizing it to 24 gal added cost. My point earlier was they add weight for all kinds of things people want but aren’t that popular... just seems like they need a large tank option. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Like-A-Rock44 said:

I don’t think there is much cost to using the 26 gallon tank they already had, down sizing it to 24 gal added cost. My point earlier was they add weight for all kinds of things people want but aren’t that popular... just seems like they need a large tank option. 

My take is that the T1s are about 150 pounds lighter than the K2s and 300 lighter than the 900s.