GM disappointingly small fuel tanks continue

How much life does Chevy suck out of there customers? Lets look at the 1/2 ton Chevy Crew short box 24 gal tank and F-150 Crew Short box 36 gal tank. 

17 MPG over 150,000 miles you fill up 123 more times if you own a Chevy! Over your life time of driving (2,000,000 miles) it comes out 1,600 more fill ups!  

How long will GM continue to put small undersized fuel tanks in their trucks? They are missing out on sales and driving the brand into the dirt! The small fuel tank literally wastes my life! It is a deal breaker when buying a new truck. My next truck will be 3/4 ton crew long box 2500 Silverado 36 gal, F250 48 gal, Ram 50 gallon! 

So many advantages of a large fuel tank.  

Who likes filling up at the gas station and wants to do it more because they own a Chevy with a small fuel tank? NO ONE! 

Who wants to use E85 and still have a reasonable driving range? MANY PEOPLE!  

Who pulls a trailer and still needs a normal driving range? MANY PEOPLE! 

Who wants to save money by avoiding fill ups at high priced stations when it is the only option because your out of fuel? EVERYONE!

Who worries about weight and only fills up with enough fuel to make it through the day? NOT MANY! The large tank does not add much weight when it only 1/2 full! 6 lb a gallon BTW not much...

In a pandemic who wants to have a Chevy with less driving range then the competition? NO ONE! 

WHO WANTS TO SPEND MORE TIME DOING WHAT THEY WANT AND LESS TIME FUELING UP? EVERYONE! BUY A FORD   

I am a long time Chevy owner but it is time they start listing to there real customers!     

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

So previous short box GM trucks had 26 gallon tanks, anyone know why for the new model they shrunk by 2 gallons to 24? Yeah GM should at least offer the option of a larger tank. I'm all for giving customers the choice. 

16 minutes ago, dieselfan1 said:

Dude you have issues if you let something this bother you.

I wouldnt normally agree but he seems oddly upset about this. I don't like the fact that my range is less than ideal but I wouldn't go this far with it.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, 3737 said:

So previous short box GM trucks had 26 gallon tanks, anyone know why for the new model they shrunk by 2 gallons to 24? Yeah GM should at least offer the option of a larger tank. I'm all for giving customers the choice. 

Yes a step in the wrong direction! No one is happy about it. 

Ford shrank their base gas tank too. The big tank is optional. It is 100% lazy engineering, an easy way to cut weight when they literally go down to the gram when considering part weight cost. People who aren't bothered by it must like having long trips interrupted more often.

• Like 2

OP's original post stated that the small fuel tank was hated by everyone, not me. Doesn't bother me one bit, I can get 500-600 range out of a tank and that is way longer than I care to sit behind the wheel before getting out and walking around a bit. Oh wait I have a diesel now.? Still it never bothered me when I drove a gasser. Kind of like splitting hairs when one worries about how much time one uses in a lifetime refueling ones vehicle.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Seriously who wants to stop at the gas station when you should not have too?! GM seems to be there own worst enemy. A 24 gallon tank is pathetic. Good enough will Keep GM from making good sales numbers. Lets come out with a cool truck then cripple its driving range so you cant use it! The small GM tank must be for the poser that has extra time on there hands to hang out at the gas station and move around. 

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, MikeNH said:

Ford shrank their base gas tank too. The big tank is optional. It is 100% lazy engineering, an easy way to cut weight when they literally go down to the gram when considering part weight cost. People who aren't bothered by it must like having long trips interrupted more often.

Is it the weight of the extra material needed to make the tank 2 gallons bigger or the weight of the fuel or both? I would think the extra plastic for a larger tank would be practically nothing. The weight of the fuel would be12 lbs I guess. I am assuming weight is such an issue for EPA MPG?? In the real world I wouldn't think anyone is concerned with a few pounds.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Booger T said:

OP's original post stated that the small fuel tank was hated by everyone, not me. Doesn't bother me one bit, I can get 500-600 range out of a tank and that is way longer than I care to sit behind the wheel before getting out and walking around a bit. Oh wait I have a diesel now.? Still it never bothered me when I drove a gasser. Kind of like splitting hairs when one worries about how much time one uses in a lifetime refueling ones vehicle.

A larger tank is better. If you want to stop and walk around, you can at any point, you don't have to be out of fuel to do so. If you tow a large trailer, fuel range shrinks substantially. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, 3737 said:

Is it the weight of the extra material needed to make the tank 2 gallons bigger or the weight of the fuel or both? I would think the extra plastic for a larger tank would be practically nothing. The weight of the fuel would be12 lbs I guess. I am assuming weight is such an issue for EPA MPG?? In the real world I wouldn't think anyone is concerned with a few pounds.

I've read more than one article and a few books about auto design that say when it comes down to it, engineers make design decisions in grams. And yes, they would be considering the full weight as that comes out of payload capacity.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Like-A-Rock44 said:

Hey Bro don’t try and derail progress and don’t worry about me. We have a name for people like you “Energy Vampire” 

Really?

You need to get a grip pal.

Edited by dieselfan1
  • Like 2

Don’t worry, In 10 years you will be driving electric and it’s won’t matter because you will plug in at night when you sleep. No more wasting your life.

• Like 1